1.    #1  
    Open or Closed -

Hardware

Operating System

Cell System Provider

Those are the questions here.

The Investors to the Cell System Providers are driving the boat here.

If we know how they think and what their plans are, that will in the end drive if and only if Palm or any other Providers of Hardware, Software and Systems Survive.

Problem is the Investors and their Greed are what is driving the show right now.

Not one of them has long term gains on their minds. Almost everyone to a person is more worried about right now and where the next Big Quick Gain will come from.

They have no clue what is really the value of anything right now.

Palm could have the Wildest Break Through in the Age of Cellphones, but if there is not a Group of Carriers lined up to put these devices on their networks and properly support them with the requirements that they need in place to work right, then Palm or any other Cellphone Player in the Market Place will fail.

G1 is not a full player right now because not everywhere does T-Mobile have the high speed internet that make the G1 the best thing since sliced bread. This proves the point. Had T-Mobile had the entire network up to the specks necessary to roll out the G1 everywhere at high speed, they could have really had a major boom on their hands and huge profits to boot. Heck I might have jumped ship too.

I recently have had to make multiple trips to China and have discovered the unlocked world of GSM and the options there in. Once those were seen as the only options for International Travel. They also give much freedom of choice when International. However, in the US, AT&T and T-Mobile seem to be the main players in the Unlocked Market.

They both offer unlimited Messaging and unlimited Internet for about 15 to 20 per option a month and then you can get the minutes as you need from there. There is no contract and if one makes a mess of things you can take your number and move to the other in minutes. No muss, No Fuss, No hassle. No Contract and no $200 fee for dropping in the middle of a contract period like Sprint, Verizon or the other players in the market.

Sure I use my Palm 680 for more than just a phone. It takes care of finding the Weather for me 4cast, the Stocks for me 4stocks, my daily plans 2day, and my phone and contacts is TakePhone. Yes all www.shsh.com and they all work well and no resets.

I use Chime to keep me knowing what the time is. Butler is there to secure the phone and to take care of alarms and announcements.

Voice ringers for messaging (texting), email, and of course custom ringers for my most popular callers.

The 755P does the Navigator 6 routine with a QStarz BT GPS receiver BT-Q-818. Does a very good job.

BT speaker phone too as well as a Blue Ant V1.

It all works well. It keeps me informed and connected.

I have a full calendar with Life Balance to keep me on beam and Natara to log it all.

Your Call keeps me straight and logged as to what I have done for the day on the phone.

Now if Palm comes out with something that will allow me to continue to keep the balance and communications going well and also allow me the unlocked life style that I have come to enjoy, Fantastic.

But I do not believe that Palm is going to be able to set its own course with just a Wow Experience. There are many Hurdles out there that are in the way of this major launch.

The Unlocked life removes these hurdles but puts the ownus on us to take care and run with it. The unlocked Pro has not made the major in routes as Controlers do not like Usurpers. Investors do not like others horning on their profit margins. They can not plan for a good years profit if they can not lock down their users.
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    Look at Motorola, and how a company can be on top of Everest and on the most deep hole in the hell on a few years.

Or look at Apple, another sample.

On consumer electronics, you can get another oportunity always, only you have to do is to find the correct path. We'll see if Palm found the correct one in a few days.

Treo Pro is a great device, just carriers aren't looking to Palm right now. As soon as Palm keeps the carrier's eyes on them Treo Pro will be on market again.
  3.    #3  
    The title says it all.

If it does not Wow the Cell Phone Companies it does Not Wow you and me.

It is not The Dog (Us) wagging the Tail (Cell Phone Companies). It is the Tail wagging the Dog.

Until Freedom of Choice is Turned around NOTHING will be innovative unless those with the Power Say something is IN.

The Public Rarely if EVER gets a say in INNOVATION.

Thus the Reason Palm is where it is now. They decided to let INNOVATION drive the boat.

G1 and Google are not far behind. They will be the next on the Funeral Pires....

The Only Reason Apple is where they are is they signed a Deal with AT&T or should I say the Devil. Exclusivity... for a period of time. Now the iPhone has a Very Large foot print in a VERY Short Period of time.

Now if you think that any Wow experience is going to Turn the heads of Phone Companies short of Oh My God, Why did We NOT think of that, then you have not been paying attention.

INNOVATION is only as good as the Cell Phone Companies Allow.

Right now with a Very Stale Economy and Investors scared of their Shadows and if the Wind Starts to Blow EVERY Investor that Day Trades runs for Cover. The Media only makes this worse.

So unless OBama and Company want this Wow Experience that Palm is about to unveil and the Big Players in Cell Phone Coverage can not see their way clear to take the INNOVATION that is about to come about, then PALM will fail, all that are waiting should then sell stock ASAP, and get in on an iPhone and forget about anything resembling a productivity tool save BB's.

The next failure in line will be the G1. I do not think unless Google can become their OWN Cell Phone Company that they will survive this as even with others adopting the Android OS and it looking like it will be on Netbooks too, It will not last long. The newness will wear off, the linux like OS will find its way to the long list of other OS's that did not make it as Windows Pocket PC and Windows Mobile and the other failures along the way.

Yes, this sounds like gloom and doom. But it is currently the way of Telecomm in the US.

China allows open movement between Companies because the SIM Cards can go phone to phone. All Phone Companies in China support both GSM and CDMA. CDMA does not happen to be the same as our CDMA standard, it is more advanced, also the GSM network and High Speed Internet Access on the Phones are ahead of ours.

Yes it is a closed system too, but they also allow much more freedom of choice. Heck the 007 Phones are in full deployment in China. Even Unlocked G1's and iPhones are in China too.

So until the US Communications Market gets their head out of the fourth point of contact and let the Users drive where they will be and not the Companies supplying the network, it will remain the same, No INNOVATION, WHAT SO EVER will survive for long.

C
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  4.    #4  
    Have we heard of any new filings by Palm with the FCC on behalf of ANY Cell Phone Companies to allow any of the new devices on the Networks in the USA?

Usually by now there have been filings and a device name of some sort is in the documents. Those documents also usually include specifics of the hardware, software and networks and Frequency Use.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  5.    #5  
    The Announcement will say volumes as to exactly what the plan is with the new devices and NOVA.

We need to note EXACTLY Who is in attendance at the Announcement, Not the Journalists, the Executives of Which Companies?

Are AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, or any other Mobile Phone Company in attendance?

Are any of them that attend their Decission Makers?

If not Palm will be DOA!

Then Who was in attendance? That will tell us exactly what the plan really is....

With Palm Devices now going the way of a Dodo Bird and the Dinosaur, Treo's will still exist per Palm, so what exactly will this new Device and NOVA really be?

They have not let Folio go completely, hints are that it still exists, and it was really just NOVA released too soon, so the misqueue was learned from and now on with Chapter Two?

Do not get me wrong, I enjoy my Treo and have enjoyed many Treo Devices and Palm Devices, however, with the Market place the way it is right now, until the Customers are driving the boat again, there is no chance that INNOVATION will have a fighting chance.

C
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    The telecommunications "market" in the U.S. is a joke where we have been forced into choosing the least of evils. The inefficient, cut-throat, greedy system has become a leading cause of consumer complaints. The recent economic collapse has changed our spending habits. We no longer can pay for packaged services we don't use and for inflated charges on services that cost the companies next to nothing. The carriers will change and it is not a question of open or closed. They will open up or perish. As for Palm, Nova had better be open or it will be relegated to a minor footnote in the new scheme of things.
    Pre-what?
    Quote Originally Posted by carydc View Post
    Have we heard of any new filings by Palm with the FCC on behalf of ANY Cell Phone Companies to allow any of the new devices on the Networks in the USA?

Usually by now there have been filings and a device name of some sort is in the documents. Those documents also usually include specifics of the hardware, software and networks and Frequency Use.
    The FCC changed up its system in order to stop all the leaks, so things can stay hidden up to a certain date now if requested by the manufacturer.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    G1 and Google are not far behind. They will be the next on the Funeral Pires....

Seems a fairly odd statement to make - yes the G1 is coming to the end of it's life - but so what? the G2 is around the corner, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Sony-Ericsson are all making android handsets, unlocked handsets are being developed (Neo, Kougan).
    You are more likely to see the end of locked phones in the US then anything else.

The only reason why the iPhone is a hit at all is because it is like having an ipod that you can call home on...

For most practical use its one of the worst phones out there. If it were not for the Ipod environment we wouldn't even know what an iphone was.

When it all shakes out you will likely see a Linux Derived phone, a M$ Derived phone, blackberries, the iphone and perhaps the google stuff although isn't the google stuff based on Linux with google icing on top?

Linux, because it is open source and should be easy for manufacturers to use without licensing issues. I am guessing at this point that your low end entrance level phones will likely all evolve to use some form of linux. Easier using something "free" then reinventing the wheel. I doubt we will see the "java" phones last much longer once Linux is a viable solution.

MS and Blackberry both seem to be competing for the same business users and power users. You may see some linux stuff evolve to also compete here. If you do then if done well you could expect to see the end of MS in phones but it will be a slow death. Blackberry is a different type of system and may evolve to include more smart phone features. Already see some sign of this. But that will bring them more into the power users realm then anything else. Assuming the google stuff is Linux with Google trimmings this could be where you end up getting Linux into the power users and business world.

As to iphone... Well this is pretty much just playing off the popularity of the Ipod series. My Treo 800w can do more then an iphone although with a smaller screen. Of course for about the price of an iphone I could almost add a redfly to the price of my 800w and be WAY better then an iphone in pretty much every aspect. Other then the user interface which is "cute" on the iphone.