1.    #1  
    What rubbish!

That had better not be what they are pinning their hopes on!
    I don't know, Graffiti was pretty handy on my Palm IIIx. I could *almost* write as fast with it as on paper. I could see if they improved it to the point where you didn't need the stylus they would have something unique. If they were to combine that with a killer form factor and HTC Touch HD-like resolution they would have a winner. We'll see, I expect to see something outstanding.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    RIP Palm
    I also can't believe its going to be Graffiti like feature that is going to help Palm. It makes no sense and I can't believe people are even considering it.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Before dealing with the major points, we must acknowledge that "game changer" is a phrase that should be taken outside and shot and anyone who uses it should be smashed across the kneecaps with a bat. A game changer is the person who gets up to swop the disks on the Wii.

As for the main point, Graffiti died because it was only used by a small percentage of people, the idea that this is going to be the saving grave for Palm is laughable.

If that *is* the foundation of Nova, then palm is stuffed, and the company will be dead in six months.
    I think the game changer is video conferencing. The next application is video for carriers, communications gear manufacturers, and device makers.

A bet on Sprint to exploit their 3 G superiority for their come back along with Palm and their next generation device - there could be something that will have both commercial and consumer appeal. Add eBay ( Skype ) or Yahoo to the mix and both Apple and Google have something to think twice about. MSFT is clearly trying to develop this, as is Apple. Lynix and a solid mobile software platform on a new "all in one " no holds barred device, has the makings of a "Game Changer. " May be worth a roll of the dice.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think the game changer is video conferencing. The next application is video for carriers, communications gear manufacturers, and device makers.
    Can't see it - even where it is available (I do it on my phone now and then), it's never taken off - people find it more inconvenient than helpful except for some limited use scenarios, it's certainly not something that would make people go "wow - must have!"
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Yea I didn't think Graffiti is the answer and I don't think Palm is silly enough to believe that. I do think Palm's new OS will be the 'game-changer' for its syncing ability. Think everyone will see it and say is what Apple’s MobileMe should have been, and this is way MS Live services want to be.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Believe it or not, I disagree. I think one of the limitations of the iPhone, Diamond, Touch (any version) is the input. Sure I would love to have all that beautiful screen real estate, but at the cost of my front facing qwerty? Not a chance. Unless I had a method that was better than an onscreen keyboard, and let's face it, Graffiti was better than any of the onscreen keyboards available today.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. (But then I've been saying this for months.)
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Believe it or not, I disagree. I think one of the limitations of the iPhone, Diamond, Touch (any version) is the input. Sure I would love to have all that beautiful screen real estate, but at the cost of my front facing qwerty? Not a chance. Unless I had a method that was better than an onscreen keyboard, and let's face it, Graffiti was better than any of the onscreen keyboards available today.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. (But then I've been saying this for months.)

I don't think it is - I used to be able to use graffiti and the WM transcriber does the same thing (and doesn't need you to learn any strange notation just normal characters so in that respect is better) - I can type much quicker with an on-screen keyboard (and even quicker with the real thing) than with any form of handwriting type software - I simply cannot form the characters as quickly as hitting the keys.

The other thing of course is that this would continue the use of the stylus - something that all of the most "modern" OSes (RIM, Apple, Android) and developers are studiously trying to avoid.
    Graffiti is not going to be it! Try using your phone with one hand and Graffiti?

I read something back on Yahoo that they were thinking of using JavaFX mobile on the new OS. I dont know if its true, but that's more like a game changer than compared to using Graffiti again.
    Last edited by miles4000; 01/02/2009 at 10:53 AM.
    I agree that this article is complete crap. Handwriting works well for some devices (I should know, I have a tablet PC, and like it or not, Vista's got the best handwriting recognition out there), but not for a phone.

I hope this isn't Palm's big idea at least.
    I also can't believe this story is getting picked up and discussed seriously.

Slow news week before the big day next week!
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    It's very strange to hear graffiti touted as a (new) feature. I am a fan of graffiti so I'm curious to see what this is all about. It would be great to see G1 make a comeback!
    Last edited by Scott_L; 01/02/2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    FYi, graffiti isn't gone - I have Jot installed on my T700p and use it often, although I couldn probably live without it.
    Most people could live without it!