Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hi guys, so I need some help.

I need to get this phone for a friend who uses PALM ePocrates, and is just used to the platform and isn't very tech Savy... So it's easy to use.

So I need to pick up a GSM Palm Treo that will work with ATT so that he can load all his Palm software on there and still use it as a phone etc...

I just can't find what the latest model is.

Any suggestions in general? Should I just get a WinMo based one? Is eBay a good place to buy one?
    The last two Palm os phones were the Treo 755p and the Centro. The Centro is available in GSM, but the closest available on GSM is the Treo 680.

The Centro is cheap - carriers are practically giving it away right now.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Yeah I know it's cheap. But he is in a contractg and has a phone already. Was using an old Tungsten T3 so I figured I would get a new or slightly used all-in-one device.

I know PALM OS is extremely stable (I have a centro now)...

But maybe I should just get a 750? How is the Windows Mobile on this phone? Does it have enough RAM etc.. to run stable? What would you guys recommend?
    If he's using Palm for ePocrates, he needs to stay on Palm - they don't make it for Windows Mobile.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Although wouldn't StyleTap be a possibility?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Epocrates should be able to allow a switch from a palm phone to a Windows mobile phone. The basic version is still free for docs to download, and I'll bet you can get out your account password or whatever and get the windows mobile version to work if you have purchased the upgrade.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I'd recommend the Treo 680. Larger/more comfortable screen, keyboard, and stylus plus better/cheaper availability on the secondhand market.

I also like the fact that it takes fullsize SDHC cards that are easier to insert/remove and less fragile.

Additionally, the 680's stock battery capacity is SLIGHTLY larger and Seidio's higher-capacity aftermarket battery for the 680 is cheaper and has more juice (1600mAh) than the newer Centro version (1350mAh).

The tradeoffs for the 680 are slightly slower performance, slightly less stable Bluetooth, older OS & bundled software, a worse camera, and (arguably) slightly reduced voice call sound quality and volume.

If your friend isn't tech savvy, is a smartphone even necessary? Might a cheap Palm OS PDA such as a Tungsten E2 or the TX (wi-fi, 128mb RAM + 320x480 screen) be an even better option?
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    If your friend isn't very tech savvy as you say then I would stick with the PALM OS and go with the Treo 680 or Centro. If he doesn't mind learning a new OS (and I find WM not to be that tough) then the Treo 750 would be a good choice and ePocrates does make a version for WM. There is info on the website that will tell you how to transfer the license to the new OS.
    But being old school, I like to keep things simple/ stupid so I personally think you should go with the 680 for your friend.
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I'd recommend the Treo 680. Larger/more comfortable screen, keyboard, and stylus plus better/cheaper availability on the secondhand market.
    Agreed.

I also like the fact that it takes fullsize SDHC cards that are easier to insert/remove and less fragile.
    Agreed.

Additionally, the 680's stock battery capacity is SLIGHTLY larger and Seidio's higher-capacity aftermarket battery for the 680 is cheaper and has more juice (1600mAh) than the newer Centro version (1350mAh).
    There is a newer battery and cover that extends the life of the battery to twice the life of the original that Seidio offers. If he is interested there is an External Seidio charger that also has a USB Charge option.

The tradeoffs for the 680 are slightly slower performance, slightly less stable Bluetooth, older OS & bundled software, a worse camera, and (arguably) slightly reduced voice call sound quality and volume.
    I disagree here completely. I have updated the ROM to the latest ROM from Palm. I have the Cingular 680 unlocked. You use the ATT latest ROM update to bring it current. The performance is good. The Bluetooth stability is fixed, The Voice qualify and volume are arguably BETTER than the 755p I had. The Camera is less than what was in the 755p.

The 680 Unlocked is the best option. They are available on ebay and many cell providers still have them in stock.

If your friend isn't tech savvy, is a smartphone even necessary? Might a cheap Palm OS PDA such as a Tungsten E2 or the TX (wi-fi, 128mb RAM + 320x480 screen) be an even better option?
    I agree with this too.

If they are like me and do not wish to have multiple devices in their pockets then the Treo 680 Unlocked is the right option. Plus they can get much larger SD Cards for the phone now and use up to 8 GB cards.

I hope you got the answers you were looking for.
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com