1.    #1  
    Roger Macamee who runs this investment fund is no dummy and for him to have his firm invest 100 Million in Palm is a huge statement. He is saying they can still compete against BB and Apple. They most likely will follow the Sun strategy where they will be a niche but profitable player.

My daugter and couple buddies have the Iphone and yet I cannot see how they can use this for business. All want to show me the cool fun aps yet when I asked to see Word or Powerpoint (docs to go), none could produce or made an excuse they don't need this. Also when I showed them my 650's catagories in Memo section, they could not produce anything similar. Also the moaning was loud on At&T pricing plans. I could not believe what they pay vs what I am getting on my sprint plan for the Treo and six other phones in my business. Wifi on the apple is neat though.

Palm tells me I have 90 days support from Palm ( not sprint for new treo 755)and I can get a live aid to assist (via webex) in upgrade for $25.00. So I am hoping that the Rev B has all the 755 issues resolved and I will not need to ever return. I have no time for techy issues since the phone is a business tool not a fun toy.

Lets hope the 100 million bet is on Nova which will produce a PDA to get PALM back in the game and reward us 755P followers. As long as the migration path is there, phone is reliable and Palm has features that make me productive in business--I will stay with them. I can wait on the Iphone like features. In any case, BB and Iphone are the clear leaders--lets just hope Palm can get the nod for third in the PDA race by 2010.

I am upgrading the 650 to 755P next week.
    Last edited by Larrydann; 12/26/2008 at 06:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i think this is a good sign! i remain hopeful for palm & nova. would be nice if there was an easy migration path for all my existing software, but if equivalent nova software becomes available fairly quickly, i'm not opposed to replacing my software.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Many of us are hoping Nova and related devices will do it for Palm.
    But if it doesn't deliver, many will jump.

The PIM in the Palm OS is basically the same PIM that was available on my Palm Pilot I bought in 1996. Very dated.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Many of us are hoping Nova and related devices will do it for Palm.
    Could someone tell me what Nova is?
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
    Could someone tell me what Nova is?
    Nova is the name that has been given (not by Palm) to the new Palm operating system based on Linux (correction - said Unix originally) that Palm is developing, and is supposed to introduce at the CES on 8th January 2009.
    Last edited by johncc; 12/29/2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Nova is the name that has been given (not by Palm) to the new Palm operating system based on Unix that Palm is developing, and is supposed to introduce at the CES on 8th January 2009.
    Yow. Cool! Fingers crossed.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Nova is the name that has been given (not by Palm) to the new Palm operating system based on Unix that Palm is developing, and is supposed to introduce at the CES on 8th January 2009.

perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought it was based on linux ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann View Post
    Roger Macamee who runs this investment fund is no dummy and for him to have his firm invest 100 Million in Palm is a huge statement.
    Or they are already in for so much, that the $100 million is to stop the lights going out at palm and an attempt to recoup their initial investment. If Nova doesn't impress on the 9th, I see them getting out fast.

He is saying they can still compete against BB and Apple. They most likely will follow the Sun strategy where they will be a niche but profitable player.
    What else is he likely to say?

My daughter and couple buddies have the Iphone and yet I cannot see how they can use this for business. All want to show me the cool fun aps yet when I asked to see Word or Powerpoint (docs to go), none could produce or made an excuse they don't need this.
    Most business usage on the go is exchange server/BES and information exchange - word is way way behind in the enterprise sector for mobile devices. However, there are a couple of products that allow you to edit word documents on the iphone (or so I'm told), if needed.

Also when I showed them my 650's catagories in Memo section, they could not produce anything similar. Also the moaning was loud on At&T pricing plans. I could not believe what they pay vs what I am getting on my sprint plan for the Treo and six other phones in my business. Wifi on the apple is neat though.
    Ok, now we are mixing apples and oranges - are we talking business enterprise usage or prosumer or consumer, because we started with one and then moved to another. I wouldn't run my business telecommunications on consumer talkplans.

Lets hope the 100 million bet is on Nova which will produce a PDA to get PALM back in the game and reward us 755P followers.
    Palm considers that a profitable but dead market - they plan to keep churning out the current PDA models until people stop buying them but there are not spending a dime on PDA development as outlined in the recent Q4 results conference call. Palm OS is also dead for the business sector - again, the outline is Palm OS for low end users, Nova for Prosumers and WM for enterprise.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann View Post
    My daugter and couple buddies have the Iphone and yet I cannot see how they can use this for business. All want to show me the cool fun aps yet when I asked to see Word or Powerpoint (docs to go), none could produce or made an excuse they don't need this.
    Docs to go will be released on the iPhone. Or you can use the free program MightyDocs to view (via google docs) word and excel files (but not powerpoint). With the convenience of having a laptops or a netbook, why would anyone want to edit or create (view is okay) an excel, word or powerpoint presentation in a 2.5 inch screen? Wouldn't that be better if its done with a laptop or netbook instead?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    "The PIM in the Palm OS is basically the same PIM that was available on my Palm Pilot I bought in 1996. Very dated."

I'm not sure that the PIM system is the same as the one on my Palm Pilot, as there are more fields in the contacts program, I can attach a specific ring tone to a specific person (and I didn't even know what a ring tone was back then, we didn't have them on our phones, and I don't even think we had cell phones then...) You could argue that Microsoft Word hasn't changed much, as I only use it to type most of the time (So nice not to use white-out anymore). My Treo 680 can do almost everything the iPhone does, albeit slower and in lower resolution. (GPS, MP3, video, web, etc...)In my world the iPhone is just prettier, not more functional, and I don't want to give up the one handed experience that I got the Treo for in the first place. I am hoping the Nova experience allows me to keep what I have and adds 3G, a better camera, and if possible a larger display without giving up the basic form factor. (Just because something is newer it isn't better, just because something is dated it isn't worse..)
    Last edited by jazzdoc; 01/02/2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si

The PIM in the Palm OS is basically the same PIM that was available on my Palm Pilot I bought in 1996. Very dated.
    But still more advanced than the iPhone's.
    ...The PIM in the Palm OS is basically the same PIM that was available on my Palm Pilot I bought in 1996. Very dated.

Good Luck

Hmmm... "newer" is not always "better."

I really love the PalmOS for it s great intuitive feel. I am using a WM Palm Treo there days, but not really because i want to, but because it is what was available for me.

My next device looks to be a blackberry for the same reason.