Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Didn't see a thread on it, but PalmInfoCenter posted a story on the 22nd saying Colligan confirmed Palm would be making no new handhelds, everything going forward will be a smartphone. I wonder if at least a portion of the recent layoffs had to do with pulling the final plug on the PDA divisions? Obviously, stand-alone handhelds were a shrinking portion of Palm's portfolio, but I'm sure they still had to dedicate some personnel and resources to those lines specifically.

Gargoyle
    Stand alone handhelds are dinosaurs, thanks to smartphones and even semi-smartphones. It's a waste of resources to make one these days and HP should quit too IMO. I think they still release one every now and then.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    Didn't see a thread on it, but PalmInfoCenter posted a story on the 22nd saying Colligan confirmed Palm would be making no new handhelds, everything going forward will be a smartphone. I wonder if at least a portion of the recent layoffs had to do with pulling the final plug on the PDA divisions? Obviously, stand-alone handhelds were a shrinking portion of Palm's portfolio, but I'm sure they still had to dedicate some personnel and resources to those lines specifically.

Gargoyle
    He did say that they would continue to produce them whilst there is a demand.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'm not surprised......
  5.    #5  
    They will continue to produce them, but I doubt you will see any Palm resources going to the handheld division. My understanding is they outsource the actual production of devices, so they'll fill orders that come in, but won't put any funds towards developing new devices, or advancing that segment.

It makes sense, and we've known for a while that the stand-alone PDA was a dying breed. Still, it's not insignificant that the PDA is essentially dead. Plus it does probably explain at least some of the force reductions we've seen at Palm lately.

Gargoyle
    I think "no more handhelds" makes it sound like Palm is closing up the Tungsten & Zire lines, which they aren't. They're just not doing anything new in the shortterm. Shortterm may be the only time horizon Palm has! But if they are a hit with their new Nova OS, perhaps they'll upgrade the offerings on the handheld PDA's as well. I've been telling other Palm-owning doctors who are unenamored of current offerings (iPhone, Centro/Treo, Blackberry, etc.) that it's a fine non-choice to opt out of smartphone and just get Tungsten E2 or T/X plus dumbphone for 6-12 months until the smartphone market shakes out (by which I mostly mean Palm sinks or swims, and iPhone and Android find their place).
    -- Josh
    With smartphones so efficient now(plus apps), there isn't one thing I did on the stand alone PDA, that the smartphones don't do just as well, if not better. This is JMO, but there just isn't much benefit in stand alones anymore. Unless you really hate cell phones or something, LOL! Stand alones are just about phased out.

Next to go in the coming decade, stand alone MP3 players in favor of carrying your music on your phone. We've seen this one start already. It's only a matter of time.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    I think "no more handhelds" makes it sound like Palm is closing up the Tungsten & Zire lines, which they aren't.

Sounds like they are to me -

We will push those out into the marketplace as long as there is sufficient demand. One of the things that’s kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy is we’re not developing new ones and so there’s an inevitable end but I think right now we’re playing it out. It is a product line that has significant and strong margins and so we’re going to continue to sell them as long as there is demand for those products.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/1115...script?page=-1
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

Next to go in the coming decade, stand alone MP3 players in favor of carrying your music on your phone. We've seen this one start already. It's only a matter of time.

I simply don't buy that, there are just too many usage scenarios where a stand-alone mp3 player is preferable to music on a phone, the same cannot be said for hand-helds.
    FOR NOW, yes. But storage and sound quality is being improved on the music phones already out there and more is coming. It will only be a matter of time when MP3/DAP players die out almost completely. We thought many things would never die, look what's happened. VHS is just about gone, BluRay is trying to make DVD obsolete eventually(this one will take a while though), analog TV gone, CDs suffering due to digital downloads, FM radio is not as popular anymore, etc. etc.

BTW, Apple now has tons of iPhone and Touch sales, and those are converged devices. Many others are following suit. Sony and Nokia already had music phones and they're expanding their lines. All the new AT&T phones plug online music. Verizon jumped on the same bandwagon. Do you honestly think that stand alone MP3 players will be around by, say 2020? I did say I thought the next decade, not this one, but we're heading down that path now. It's been said that in Europe and Asia many people already use their phones for music.

P.S. Forgot to mention that with flash memory prices coming down, a 8GB card in your phone(obviously not an iPhone, LOL) and a good media player ends the need for an MP3 player also. 16GB will come down next, and if they start selling the high speed ones under $100, who will need a seperate MP3 player? Except maybe for the gym. That's one instance where MP3 players are still needed.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/29/2008 at 09:48 AM.

11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    FOR NOW, yes. But storage and sound quality is being improved on the music phones already out there and more is coming.
    But it's not to do with storage and sound quality, your are discussing formats, I am discussing form - nobody produces (or is going to produce) a stamp sized mobile phone that I can clip on the bottom on my water proof coat and allows me to change tracks with easy while I'm running or am in the gym. Mobile based music is just not acceptable in those types of usage scenarios and I don't see how you are going to make so without compromising the form factors of the phone.

Will the trend continue towards convergence devices? yes, but there always be a place for standalone players, it's chalk and cheese with the handheld/smartphone question. The other problem is with battery life, until next generation batteries come along, heavy use of your phone as a PMP can quickly leave you without access to your phone, so it's perfable to people to separate out the two.

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I agree about stand alone music players being eventually phased out, but based on the number of ipod sales, it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Also in that group of stand alone products I think will be phased out will be GPS devices. I have one and I love it and use it frequently, but unless they smarten them up with free or less expensive map updates, Google is just going to kick everybody's **** in this area. It's always up-to-date and doesn't cost anything. Garmin, Tom Tom and Magellan could learn a thing or two from Google in this area.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I think audio players won't ever be fully left out, due to the gym/exercise factor. I don't want to take my BB with me on a run or to the gym, but I want to listen to music so I take my Shuffle with me.
    I used to use my Treo 650 (now 680) as mp3 player while running, but it's missing a few features:

1) waterproof/sweatproof. My Rio Cali handles rain, snow, and drenching sweat just fine

2) FM radio. This is less of an issue since I download radio broadcast podcasts for listening later on my mp3 player at my convenience, but still sometimes I like to listen to live NPR rather than music

3) easier to move music back and forth to my Rio Cali than my Treo

I would be happy to go back to using one device, but it won't happen any time soon. I just ordered a different mp3 player to replace my Cali which is finally failing, a "freestyle audio mp3 player, waterproof 2 gb". Can't wait.

-- Josh
    Again, I know it won't happen any time soon, but I do forsee it happening within the next decade or so, due to events happening now. I never thought I'd see the end of physical media either. I remember people used to exercise with CD players and tape Walkmans, and Sony made a sport version of those that stood up to sweat and bumping around.

If you think phones can't be used at the gym, they could if they'd make the cases for them. iPhone/Touch exercise cases abound. I would think people would be afraid of breaking the screen, but I've seen them in use. I still love my MP3 players too(you don't want to know how many I have, lol), it's just that now phones with built-in media players are now becoming the norm and sooner or later, people will do what's convenient. I have to say that carrying one device makes things a lot easier for me. Battery life does suck and if they know what they're doing, they'll work on that in the next decade.

I had to go back to using seperate phone and player too, but am now considering using my phone alone again. It's just easier sometimes.

This is a bit off-topic but now I notice they're trying to phase out hard drives for solid state drives on laptops. Obviously because of the current expense, that won't happen for a while. But hard drives are another thing I never thought I'd see go. My point is, you think today that things you use will stick around, but don't be surprised to see everything get replaced if you're around long enough, God willing.

16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I used to use my Treo 650 (now 680) as mp3 player while running, but it's missing a few features:

1) waterproof/sweatproof. My Rio Cali handles rain, snow, and drenching sweat just fine

2) FM radio. This is less of an issue since I download radio broadcast podcasts for listening later on my mp3 player at my convenience, but still sometimes I like to listen to live NPR rather than music

3) easier to move music back and forth to my Rio Cali than my Treo

I would be happy to go back to using one device, but it won't happen any time soon. I just ordered a different mp3 player to replace my Cali which is finally failing, a "freestyle audio mp3 player, waterproof 2 gb". Can't wait.

-- Josh
    I have a ipod shuffle - it's ideal, you click it to your waterproof and go, I'd never take my phone, just too much hassle. Plus I don't want to bounce around a $500 device.
    The Sansa Clip has excellent sound quality, supports more formats and has a small screen, all for less than the Shuffle. I'd recommend that for working out. The 4GB is now less than the Shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I have a ipod shuffle - it's ideal, you click it to your waterproof and go, I'd never take my phone, just too much hassle. Plus I don't want to bounce around a $500 device.
    I'm a doctor oncall after hours regularly. My Treo is phone and beeper for me. I have to carry it with me. So I'd prefer that it pump music to my ears while I'm running so I can leave the radio/mp3 player home.
    -- Josh
    Again, I know it won't happen any time soon, but I do forsee it happening within the next decade or so, due to events happening now. I never thought I'd see the end of physical media either. I remember people used to exercise with CD players and tape Walkmans, and Sony made a sport version of those that stood up to sweat and bumping around.

I still have not one but two of those Sony Walkman AM/FM/Cassette yellow sports walkmen with the rubberized seals. They were great. I miss AM radio while running, could catch baseball game broadcasts evenings and weekends. But AM radio and RF-technology players (mp3's, for instance) conflict, so the AM radio has been dropped from every device that has mp3.
    -- Josh
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I still have not one but two of those Sony Walkman AM/FM/Cassette yellow sports walkmen with the rubberized seals. They were great. I miss AM radio while running, could catch baseball game broadcasts evenings and weekends. But AM radio and RF-technology players (mp3's, for instance) conflict, so the AM radio has been dropped from every device that has mp3.
    -- Josh
    I've always wondered why a device didn't exist with both, but was never sufficiently worried about it to actually research why that was the case.

Thanks for the info.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast