Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    With smartphones so efficient now(plus apps), there isn't one thing I did on the stand alone PDA, that the smartphones don't do just as well, if not better. This is JMO, but there just isn't much benefit in stand alones anymore. Unless you really hate cell phones or something, LOL! Stand alones are just about phased out.

Next to go in the coming decade, stand alone MP3 players in favor of carrying your music on your phone. We've seen this one start already. It's only a matter of time.
    I couldn't agree more. Convergence is the name of the game. If I might plug my iPhone 3G on this Treo board, it's replaced my iPod, my PDA, my cell phone, GPS, AM radio player, etc.

If you could carry just 1 device instead of 3 or 4, why not? Just my opinions, too.
    The treo did that long ago for me regarding audio as did the Centro. And now the iphone.

Can't say the same about GPS though. Standalone in car is still better IMO as you don't want the gps doing anything but being a gps or maybe that's just me. But the iphone's current one is far from a gps standalone and frankly i wouldn't use it in that manner even if i could. What i'd like to see is better communication between a standalone gps and smartphone. Seamless waypoint or route transfers, etc. A garmin iphone app would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuy119 View Post
    I've always wondered why a device didn't exist with both, but was never sufficiently worried about it to actually research why that was the case.

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah, just give it a try. Hold an mp3 device next to an AM radio. Terrible static interference.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Convergence is the name of the game. If I might plug my iPhone 3G on this Treo board, it's replaced my iPod, my PDA, my cell phone, GPS, AM radio player, etc.

If you could carry just 1 device instead of 3 or 4, why not? Just my opinions, too.
    How do you get AM radio on your iPhone? Streaming from an internet site? Not directly from the airwaves, I suspect, but if that is how you get it, I'd love to know.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    How do you get AM radio on your iPhone? Streaming from an internet site? Not directly from the airwaves, I suspect, but if that is how you get it, I'd love to know.
    -- Josh
    No, not directly from the airwaves, sadly (though that'd be a kick!). "WunderRadio" is a 3rd party AM/FM streaming app. from the App. Store. Here in Chicago, I'm a big sports talk radio fan (ESPN 1000 and the Score! 670 AM) and love to stream when I'm on the treadmill.
    Automobile GPS and cell phones have conflicting design constraints. in a car, you want the GPS screen to be as big as reasonably feasible, to make it easy to read while driving. Cell phones and audio players are getting smaller and smaller. I wouldn't want to try to read a map on a centro while driving.

But I agree that phones and music palyers will Continue to converge. There will be a market for standalone players for a long time, just as there is still a market for portable CD players. But it will get smaller and smaller.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12