1.    #1  
    Interesting little article on PC Magazines' site HERE.

"Our first next generation phone is set for launch in the first half of calendar year 2009 as planned," Colligan said.
    Apart from new Nova devices, Palm will focus on refreshing and expanding the Treo Pro line, Colligan said.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The article says

Both wireless carriers and software developers are already holding devices with the new Palm "Nova" OS, Palm chief executive Ed Colligan revealed in a financial earnings conference call yesterday.
    Which is completely and utter wrong - he says nothing of the sort.

He makes vague noises about partners being "happy" and software developers being "briefed" and that's it. The last couple of days have seen some really lazy bits of reporting off the back of that call. One journalist wrote an article using pictures of ALP thinking it was Nova and that morphed into "out in the wild!"
    CGK is right--lots of twisting and inappropriate expanding of info out there.

From what I've heard is that there are very few actual "Nova" devices outside of Palm (< 5?)--but I don't know who has them and where they are (well, kinda). That's why there are no leaks because it would be very obvious who has them! lol

Having said that, I wouldn't doubt Palm has shown more to the carriers and some developers than we know about--but they probably only saw a demonstration (so no code, no devices).

My bet is Sprint gets this first and there are ties to Amazon.com (music store and Kindle). Just a guess.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    my guess is the people from Dataviz should be among the firts to receive what is necessary to have a Documents To Go version for Nova.

It would very strange to have a Palm device without DTG (either bundled or a free trial)
    same with Pocket Tunes
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    If it was in the wild there would be sightings and screen capture leaks - and there aren't . . . yet
    Quote Originally Posted by kvsnut View Post
    If it was in the wild there would be sightings and screen capture leaks - and there aren't . . . yet
    That's assuming Palm wants any leaks, which is usually the case, but is hardly a foregone conclusion. Developers who were given Foleos weren't supposed to take them out in public (I believe there were 40 dev units outside of Palm), so it follows that "in the wild" probably means "in the office of software developer X.'
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That could mean the OS is in the hands of developers in an emulator - it doesn't mean they have any physical hardware. We have zero evidence, any physical hardware exist.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    That's assuming Palm wants any leaks, which is usually the case, but is hardly a foregone conclusion. Developers who were given Foleos weren't supposed to take them out in public (I believe there were 40 dev units outside of Palm), so it follows that "in the wild" probably means "in the office of software developer X.'

Since "in the wild" isn't used at all it means it's something made up by a lazy journalist.
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    my guess is the people from Dataviz should be among the firts to receive what is necessary to have a Documents To Go version for Nova.

It would very strange to have a Palm device without DTG (either bundled or a free trial)
    Agreed, but then a month later they'd charge you $30 for a version with limited additional functionality. Sorry for the OT comment. Little more than two weeks before we know what Palm has cooking.
    Note that Colligan talks about a "phone" - singular. And the writer refers to the announcement of "devices" - plural. Not sure if there's a reason to believe it's plural.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Since "in the wild" isn't used at all it means it's something made up by a lazy journalist.
    It's definitely hyperbolic wording. As far as emulators vs. dev units, emulators are adequate for 98% of use cases, but apps that rely on radio or GPS functionality require hardware testing, which is why PDN distributes loaner units of devices. Again, it's not necessary most of the time, but it would be hard to develop pTunes or GPS navigation apps for the ROM by using emulation only.

My hope is the Palm will release the SDK on January 8. I'm really looking forward to seeing the programming environment.