Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. seanhedman's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
       #1  
    I read a news link that Verizon is considering ditching Palm Phones!! There goes my hopes for a Treo Pro!!
    I can't post links, but go to a finance board like Yahoo of Google and check out the CNBC newswire for today 12-17-08
  2. #2  
    Wow if that's true that is big.
  3. #3  
    They've got BB customers lined up out the door. It's not like they have any real incentive to keep the "other device" with a similar keyboard...
  4. #4  
    Palm Earnings Preview: Pressure Is On Again
    ...
    Another issue for Palm: The Treo Pro. I posted way back when this phone was unveiled that the $549 price tag for the unlocked phone -- at a time when every other handset maker was slashing prices -- was a quizzical strategy. Speculation was thatPalm couldn't score a US carrier for the phone and that's why it was released "unlocked" with that high price tag because there was no carrier subsidy available. Since then, just about everyone has wondered whether the company would announce a carrier deal with AT&T [T 28.12 -0.11 (-0.39%) ] . So far, no news. That's a problem.

    Worse, Global Crown Capital's Pablo Perez-Fernandez (he's got a "Sell" rating on the shares and a $1 target) is hearing rumblings thatVerizon might stop selling Palm's best-performing product, the attractively priced Centro, even as Apple is taking the iPhone mainstream by getting into Wal-Mart [WMT 55.19 -0.05 (-0.09%) ] in a couple of weeks.
    ...
    No mention of the Sprint deal, but Sprint is the smaller fish.

    Centros are mentioned as something Verizon may stop selling. Sprint might also, there's been rumors about that. But the big question is the Treo Pro. How many carriers can Palm get to pick it up? So far they've got Sprint.
  5. #5  
    AT&T has "certified" the Pro for use on it's network, making me wonder if they will start testing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    AT&T has a whole lot of things they never sell on that list. I would suspect that certification process is a separate track from actually having them carry a device.
  7. #7  
    I was told by an Alltel business rep that he saw no Palm listings in his training schedule, which goes out 6 months. The 755p is discounted to $99 (online), and the Centro is nowhere to be seen. Considering Verizon has gotten the go ahead to swallow up Alltel, I'm wondering if there's a connection ...
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    AT&T has "certified" the Pro for use on it's network, making me wonder if they will start testing.
    "TreoLady" have u looked at the "Kogan Agore" phone yet?

    http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/android...-mobile-phone/

    I ordered one this morning won't get till Feb 1 or so

    Skyscape people are going to be releasing Medical References for the Android system in January. so the OS is developing anyway
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    "TreoLady" have u looked at the "Kogan Agore" phone yet?

    http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/android...-mobile-phone/

    I ordered one this morning won't get till Feb 1 or so

    Skyscape people are going to be releasing Medical References for the Android system in January. so the OS is developing anyway

    If Verizon is doing away with Palm then they are indeed history, but would not Verizon take one look at the "Nova" before it bids Palm goodbye?
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    If Verizon is doing away with Palm then they are indeed history, but would not Verizon take one look at the "Nova" before it bids Palm goodbye?
    how do we know they already haven't? it's not uncommon for partners to get early looks - especially so they can announce partnerships at things like CES.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    If Verizon is doing away with Palm then they are indeed history, but would not Verizon take one look at the "Nova" before it bids Palm goodbye?
    WHY??? They have the google OS.

    If you have limited space on your shelf, why are you in a rush to add what will basically be the same OS (with some minor tweaks) on the shelf. Especially when the google phone has the potential.

    If I were a Verizon executive, spending an hour on this board would convince me that Palm was just about dead. I'd also learn that if I killed all palm phones no one would be picketing outside my corporate office.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post
    I was told by an Alltel business rep that he saw no Palm listings in his training schedule, which goes out 6 months. The 755p is discounted to $99 (online), and the Centro is nowhere to be seen. Considering Verizon has gotten the go ahead to swallow up Alltel, I'm wondering if there's a connection ...
    I'm wondering if there's a connection??? lol


    "Hello, Palm... can you hear me now? No, this is not your guardian angle. This is Mr. Reaper. My friends call me Grim. Hey, I was calling to let you know I have something for you!"
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    WHY??? They have the google OS.

    If you have limited space on your shelf, why are you in a rush to add what will basically be the same OS (with some minor tweaks) on the shelf. Especially when the google phone has the potential.

    If I were a Verizon executive, spending an hour on this board would convince me that Palm was just about dead. I'd also learn that if I killed all palm phones no one would be picketing outside my corporate office.
    Not to mention all the warranty hassles that Verizon has to go through with all the returned Treos.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    Not to mention all the warranty hassles that Verizon has to go through with all the returned Treos.
    Ding, ding, ding, ding! Give Captaindan the grand prize! That's one reason I feel Sprint is helping the 800w see a swift exit and possibly why Verizon never picked it up. Although the 800w has Verizon "welcome" and "goodbye" graphics in files on the device.
  15. #15  
    The centro made sense for the carriers at one time. It was a cheap handset that allowed them to entice customers to use data. Kudos to palm for capturing that when it was important. B

    ut the Centro no longer no longer makes much sense to consumers or providers. The reason d'etre for the Centro no longer exists as customers are willing to pay for nicer more elegant or more capable smartphone once they understand that they will be paying $1500 to $3000 for service with data over two years.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Although the 800w has Verizon "welcome" and "goodbye" graphics in files on the device.
    Perhaps someone at Palm with a taste for irony left it on the device as a kind of Easter egg.
  17. #17  
    My bet, if it's true, is that this is the deal that Verizon made to get an exlusive on the touch screen Blackberry Storm. They just made a business decision of what would help more.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    My bet, if it's true, is that this is the deal that Verizon made to get an exlusive on the touch screen Blackberry Storm. They just made a business decision of what would help more.
    I was wondering that myself.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The centro made sense for the carriers at one time. It was a cheap handset that allowed them to entice customers to use data. Kudos to palm for capturing that when it was important. B

    ut the Centro no longer no longer makes much sense to consumers or providers. The reason d'etre for the Centro no longer exists as customers are willing to pay for nicer more elegant or more capable smartphone once they understand that they will be paying $1500 to $3000 for service with data over two years.
    Yes, the market in smartphones has definitely changed over the last couple of years. Heck, I can count more than my fair share of relatives and friends with smartphones. None of them are techies... they simply like the smartphone for one reason or another or got it from a job. Many 20-somethings like the ease they can txt message.

    Point is that many new people are entering the market, so prices can lower.

    But, as a point I made in another thread, palm is a one trick pony. Unlike, google, blackberry, winmob, etc, palm can't take a loss on their OS. Palm simply does not have the depth of these other companies.

    The "netbook" idea was a good one... but never totally backed by palm... as someone else said, it was a good idea, with crappy hardware. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  20. #20  
    Is Palm on the way out?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions