Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CZSteve View Post
    Is Palm on the way out?
    Yes. Thankyou and goodnight.
    Is Palm on the way out?
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Yes. Thankyou and goodnight.
    You know, that's really a terrible way to answer a serious post from a new user. Although you could be completely correct as it certainly is not looking good for Palm, there is still a lot of hope with the company too. A better explanation is here:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...213_356133.htm
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Since one may assume that insiders own 70% of the outstanding shares which amounts to about 110 million shares, leads me to believe that the few insiders are gambling that this stock will turn upside potential to 500%. 170 million dollar gamble is peanuts with T Rowe Price money
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    "TreoLady" have u looked at the "Kogan Agore" phone yet?

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/android...-mobile-phone/

I ordered one this morning won't get till Feb 1 or so

Skyscape people are going to be releasing Medical References for the Android system in January. so the OS is developing anyway
    I can't use Android until it's confirmed to have the same robust functionality as WM. I fell into the "hot new mobile OS" trap with Mobile OSX and don't need any more of that. I won't jump into Nova right away either, for the same reason.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    You know, that's really a terrible way to answer a serious post from a new user. Although you could be completely correct as it certainly is not looking good for Palm, there is still a lot of hope with the company too. A better explanation is here:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...213_356133.htm
    Oh relax, Rick, please. The smiley at the end of the sentence denotes humor. Chill.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Oh relax, Rick, please. The smiley at the end of the sentence denotes humor. Chill.
    Hey, I knew that, didn't you hear my voice get high when I said "terrible"? I did know you were kidding from knowing you, but I was worried that the guy might have really been scared about Palm going under when he asked his question.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Some who track companies for a living feel Palm will go under.

And the current analyst mean is "underweight", which is not a good review at all.

But there may be a chance the Treo Pro will be picked up by AT&T or some other "major" US carrier. Page 21 of Palm's Q2 presentation from yesterday mentions:
    Expected Q3 FY ’09 launch
    •with a major U.S. carrier
    That HAS TO BE either Verizon or AT&T that they feel they've got lined up. Because we all know Sprint is releasing the Treo Pro next month and it was not even mentioned. I guess Sprint is not "major" enough to mention?

Really, Palm is in terrible shape. They've got one shot left, in a market that has a flood of options already out there for consumers and the economy is down. I guess we'll see if Palm can save themselves.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is Palm on the way out?
    Ask after CES....
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Some who track companies for a living feel Palm will go under.

And the current analyst mean is "underweight", which is not a good review at all.

But there may be a chance the Treo Pro will be picked up by AT&T or some other "major" US carrier. Page 21 of Palm's Q2 presentation from yesterday mentions:

That HAS TO BE either Verizon or AT&T that they feel they've got lined up. Because we all know Sprint is releasing the Treo Pro next month and it was not even mentioned. I guess Sprint is not "major" enough to mention?

Really, Palm is in terrible shape. They've got one shot left, in a market that has a flood of options already out there for consumers and the economy is down. I guess we'll see if Palm can save themselves.
    That's troubing in and of itself if they can't get a carrier to subsidize the Pro until Q3.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

I totally made an error in my statements above, in claiming a potential AT&T or Verizon deal was indirectly mentioned.

The report was for their Q2 and they said they'd be picking up a major US carrier for the Treo Pro in Q3. I mistakenly thought of calendar year 2009's Q3 instead of Palm's fiscal Q3. That means they WERE talking about Sprint.

And I guess that means they don't have any other deals sealed than what we've already known.
    Verizon has definitely moved towards BB and put less emphasis on WM and Garnet.

The latter makes obvious sense (outdated) but the WM cold shoulder is a bit odd, but I suppose they have their reasons. Those reasons probably relate to picking off Sprint's business customers, of which they had a lot for awhile with the Nextel deal. Since that has failed, Verizon probably wants their ex-customers and what's left and leveraging the BB is a good long term bet to do just that.

Even HTC is not getting much play (what happened to the Diamond?) and Samsung seems to be picking up Palm's slack (Saga) and HTC's (Omnia). Still, you don't see Verizon pushing WM in commercials or strategically at all--it's more of an afterthought.

Like I said, they probably have their reasons and it usually relates to future directions they want to go in and of course $$. They did, afterall, turn down the iPhone

They're not dumb though. If it sells well on another carrier, they'll get it even if they are reluctant e.g. Centro.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/22/2008 at 08:16 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    verizon has never been that big with palm/treo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12