Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://appstore.pocketgear.com/palm/

I can't get it to work on either a Centro or a Treo Pro yet....
  2.    #2  
    Or not -- nevermind, it's just an app icon going to palmgear's web store hosted by Palm.
  3.    #3  
    ...and yes, I did drop everything (including my evening scotch, but it was only the first!) to race back to the office to do hands-on demos, videos, and whatnot, only to find that it's just a webstore that's actually less functional than the one you'll find at software.treocentral.com from Blazer or PocketIE.
    Poor Dieter, posting stories before checking the sources.

On the bright side you can always work for Fox news! lol

On the bright side Palm has to have an App store coming with the new OS (and older Garnet Apps as well). If they don't it'll be a giant fail on their part
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    lol

Is that what that phone call was about?

And there is nothing in the world worth putting your scotch aside for.

(BTW: Very nice Bourbon is "Buffalo Trace"--just throwing that out there).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I got the email this morning about the Palm app store and was pretty surprised...until I looked at it. Calling it an app store is accurate. It's just that the definition of "app store" has shifted in the last 6 months.
    Early impressions:

1) I have to use the stylus to choose stuff on the screen??? On a Palm app???

2) I went to the Free Apps section and it showed 5 apps... of a whopping 41. Over a thousand free apps? I assume the rest weren't for WinMo, so ...?

Not a very good start.*

* Hopefully, due to user (re: my) error.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I was underwhelmed before I read this thread. Handango have a sort of mobile app store too which is also rubbish. I prefer to browse the internet sites anyway.

App Stores are over-rated. See this article about the problem with Apple's one: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12...e_cheapskates/
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    I was underwhelmed before I read this thread. Handango have a sort of mobile app store too which is also rubbish. I prefer to browse the internet sites anyway.

App Stores are over-rated. See this article about the problem with Apple's one: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12...e_cheapskates/
    I don't think that's a problem with the app store concept so much as Apple's implementation and some other factors.

Unlike you, I like the idea of a somewhat central (no pun) location in which I can find applications for my mobile device - especially a place that's OPTIMIZED for mobile browsing.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Early impressions:

1) I have to use the stylus to choose stuff on the screen??? On a Palm app???

2) I went to the Free Apps section and it showed 5 apps... of a whopping 41. Over a thousand free apps? I assume the rest weren't for WinMo, so ...?

Not a very good start.*

* Hopefully, due to user (re: my) error.
    Same thing for me too... but they advertised 1000 free apps. Palm is crap.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I can not download files from the stupid apps store on my 755p.

I click the "Download" button and it tries to download a .jsp (Java Server Page) which the Palm doesn't understand.

I read this was happening on Centro's , but I have a fairly new 755 and i get the same result. Tried clearing the cache, etc, nothing works. I thought Palm was finaly getting their **** together?

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks
    I'm almost embarassed for them.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    This sounds more like a crAPP Store.
    I've downloaded apps for a few years at least using palm and its browser. What's the problem? You just bookmark various stores and..

LOL..yeah yeah i know. And yeah, palm could make some needed money by putting a portal on its phone that simplifies buying apps or even seeing what's out there. Music too. But the "store" mentioned in this thread isn't the solution.

Case in point, if my wife gets an app, its because i saw something she might be interested in (which frankly doesn't happen anymore..only a few key palm apps/games we use). She doesn't sync her centro ever. But if it was made itunes easy, then she might. If apps for the palm were made iphone easy to install/browse, then she might explore them. And i'm sure there's many others similar to her. Although the prices are definitely way too high now.

I paid like 5 dollars or so for bejeweled on the iphone. Or can pay 15-20 dollars for the palm version. Hmmm... In my case, i already bought a bunch of palm apps over the years and so its not too big a deal.

Can palm reach enough consumers even with a well made OS & hardware to bring their app prices to earth in the future? You have to believe they have something a bit better in terms of an app store with the new OS. I think they have to take away the "try it first" option to get the price down.

But maybe that's worrying too much before seeing the goods.
    Yeah, sure it's better to say "just pay for it, test it and if it doesn't work for you f..k you, because we are cool".

It will be right for iFartMobile (27000$ sales in three days) but not for serious apps.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    sounds like they are following the Apple footprint. But hey, if you don't have any original ideas just copy others....
    Quote Originally Posted by eg757 View Post
    sounds like they are following the Apple footprint. But hey, if you don't have any original ideas just copy others....
    It worked for Microsoft...

But Palm has mobile store solutions (better or worst) much before than Apple.
    whenever I try to download an application from the pocketgear store (on the handheld), it prompts me to save the file (example: eyes.prc). however, it states that my device does not support this file. when I try to download anyway, I get an error message, stating that download_freeware.jsp could not be saved to the card. how do I fix this? the tech support guy told me that I needed to install from my pc. what's the point of having an actual application for the phone if that's the case?
    Don't know what it's like on POS, but it is the crAPP store on my 800w
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Don't know what it's like on POS, but it is the crAPP store on my 800w
    I'm generally a pretty passionate guy... of alot of things... I've argued cases before which attempt to prove the worth and value of a Treo is greater than that of an iPhone... Kind of wearin me out though these days. I mean, the keyword is simple. The main take away is simple. The Treo does have that to a certain extent and it also has complexity (browsing, managing, full access to the file system). And I love that about the Treo. But its just that when I want it to be simple, fun, creative, and productive I find myself working to hard to make that a reality.

Sometimes I just sit and think... "If I just had tabbed browsing..."

I don't know... it's apples to oranges I guess. Where the POS Treo has failed is maintaining an increasingly innovative path. Palm was ruined, devastated, crippled with the hardware/software spinoffs and never bounced back. We'll see at CES if NOVA is the saving grace. I'm trying to be optimistic about it... but it's just SO DAMN HARD to do so.... anyone else feel the same way?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast