1.    #1  
    Hey, just noticed this at the Google Gmail blog:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/1...abs-tasks.html

It's Palm's To-Do (a.k.a. tasks) list! Now that Google has its own smartphone platform, it appears to be rounding out the necessary collection of PIM (personal info manager) applications which have been the strength of Palm's OS. Google has a calendar, contacts, to-do list -- just add memos and there you go.
    -- Josh
    Has anyone asked Ed Colligan his thoughts yet? I doubt he'd speak as carelessly as he did about Apple's venture into the smart phone market.

Palm's got one shot left and whatever they present next month better be so explosive that it changes the entire smart phone game or Palm is doomed.

As far as PIM features, they're all (Palm's competitors) using Palm's as the baseline, but overall they're leaving Palm in the dust.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    . Google has a calendar, contacts, to-do list -- just add memos and there you go.
    -- Josh
    If you count Google Documents....they did that a while ago.

It's Palm's To-Do (a.k.a. tasks) list! Now that Google has its own smartphone platform, it appears to be rounding out the necessary collection of PIM (personal info manager) applications which have been the strength of Palm's OS. Google has a calendar, contacts, to-do list -- just add memos and there you go.
    -- Josh
    I've been saying it for years... google is going to take out competitors left and right... on the sly.

I'd bet that little iphone was an unexpected surprise... but not one they can't get around.

Google is a damn smart company.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    If you count Google Documents....they did that a while ago.
    I would not, hardly the same thing. A notes app would sync small notes with multiple clients (including Outlook and various types of smart phones). The text would be unformatted for maximum portability.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I would not, hardly the same thing. A notes app would sync small notes with multiple clients (including Outlook and various types of smart phones). The text would be unformatted for maximum portability.
    I know I'm really starting to enjoy using MS Office OneNote for my notes instead of the MS Outlook Notes. I have not made a new MS Outlook Note in some time and don't plan to make any more. As far as portability, I'll deal with that when I stop using Windows and WM. If I worried about portability, I'd put everything in flat notepad like text files.

Google documents "could" be used like a note taking application. People who are accustomed to having a separate application for short notes may not desire that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I know I'm really starting to enjoy using MS Office OneNote for my notes instead of the MS Outlook Notes. I have not made a new MS Outlook Note in some time and don't plan to make any more. As far as portability, I'll deal with that when I stop using Windows and WM. If I worried about portability, I'd put everything in flat notepad like text files.

Google documents "could" be used like a note taking application. People who are accustomed to having a separate application for short notes may not desire that though.
    I purchased onenote last year... figured it would revolutionize my note taking. Crap, I don't even use it. lol

It is a cool application though.

I deal with a lot of excel spreadsheets and onenote does not fit... not to mention I'm worried about having all my notes stuck in such a "closed" application. I'd rather stick with .doc for my notes and such... and live with folders.

Oh, well...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001

-- Josh
    I'm not too fond of the calendar on my G1 and I still don't see a "Tasks" application on it. I'd much rather have Datebk5 but you make a good point. Android is filling in the pieces that would make it a useful PDA OS which would allow me to finally retire my Treo once and for all.
    It would be more interesting if Google brought more that is new and different than simply trying to copy what has already been done. It's like going after the small market of existing users of similar devices, while there's a much larger set of potential customers that may enjoy something new. Existing device owners would like more that is NEW and DIFFERENT too .
    I looked and looked looked......but I still cant find a single mobile OS that has as good of PIM as Palm OS. I mean its been a decade and still Palm OS beat everyone else in UI design for PIM. I got Treo 800w but I miss my Treo 755p just for Palm OS built in calender and document to go app
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    I looked and looked looked......but I still cant find a single mobile OS that has as good of PIM as Palm OS. I mean its been a decade and still Palm OS beat everyone else in UI design for PIM. I got Treo 800w but I miss my Treo 755p just for Palm OS built in calender and document to go app
    It is for this reason that I've never left Palm. Hopefully they can hit a home run tomorrow.