Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I have had the following palms.

Palm 505, 515, m105, Zire 71, Zire 72, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755. I am a Super Power POWER User. I can tune my guitar, check 5 email accounts, podcast, you name it. I am a sales manager and need a hard core phone.

My company today told me the will continue to support my phone and pay for my bill; however they just purchased a blackberry server and are offering to give me a BB Curve for free.

AH!!! Now what. I am tired of defending palm to people. I am sick of waiting. I am sick! But remember I am a power user, I have personally converted about 50 people to treo. But I am considering jumping. Can I really do everything I could before. I know this has probably been talked about 1000 times. But I value your opinion.
    Last edited by BenJoeM; 12/09/2008 at 11:46 PM.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am not a power user, although I've used many Treos in the past 5 years. I would go with the Blackberry. It's about the closest form factor to the Treo. I don't believe Palm will survive in 2009. I am currently using an HTC Touch Pro (WinMo).
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    You jump, I jump....
    There had better be (very) good news before the end of the year or I'll be the only one left.

Edit: Seem like the 8th Jan at CES is our next hope for something.
    Last edited by johncc; 12/10/2008 at 06:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    The Curve is a very good device but it can not do all the things you can do with a Palm device. I was in your exact position last year. My company required that I use a Blackberry. I got a Curve. Many things I like about the Curve much better than my Palm. Talk time is great, A2DP, the size is great. I don't even mind the trackball. The problems come in when you want to watch slingbox, listen to a certain radio station, work on a spreadsheet, track your automobile gas mileage. Sure there are beginning to be some of these available for blackberry (Documents to go for new 4.5 version blackberry software) limited software for other things you might want to do, but you can't pick and choose the software like you can with Palm. There are only a few automobile software programs for blackberry and they are expensive (around $29.99 for a similar Palm program I paid $9.99).

I ended up buying a Centro and carrying around two phones. I would love to make the switch. Blackberry has great hardware and I am always checking Pinstack.com a blackberry community for better software but I have about given up on that. There just does not seem to be the interest to bring in good software to blackberry. Maybe because of the closed operating system. I sit and wait for someone to give me a device that takes the best of both platforms and combines them. Maybe one day.

Good luck on your decision.
    Is there a way you can delay making the decision for a few months. It sounds like you would have to spend a lot of cash trying to get similar programs from your palm to your blackberry. I would say there is a remote possibility that palm will produce something worth your wait. If not, you, me, and apparently a whole lot of other people will be migrating somewhere else next year.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    Is there a way you can delay making the decision for a few months. It sounds like you would have to spend a lot of cash trying to get similar programs from your palm to your blackberry. I would say there is a remote possibility that palm will produce something worth your wait. If not, you, me, and apparently a whole lot of other people will be migrating somewhere else next year.
    I would wait for that reason, but also for the fact that RIM is putting out some seriously nice phones in the next year. The Magnum/Pluto and the Curve 8900 are all replacements that seem worthwhile IMO.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    It really all depends on what your biggest motivator is. If it is email, then try out the Curve. If you want a swiss army knife, I would personally stay with a Palm phone.

I have had a Curve, 8800, and 8100 from work and am testing out the Touch Pro right now. There are some nice features but nothing I use everyday that I can't already do, albeit a little less pretty.

My everyday phone is still my Centro. I can do more and quicker with it then I can with any of the other phones.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    My company would also pay for a Blackberry and then pay my bill, but I chose to buy my own Treo and pay my bills because I'm too deep into Palm software and haven't seen anything (functionally) to take me away. Sure, there are MANY sexier devices that have features that make Palm phones look like old farts, but to do what I need to do, nothing else is in competition with this dinosaur. Sure, I wouldn't mind (or would I?) getting my work email on my phone and I sure would like them covering all the costs, but I'm sticking with Palm till someone creates something with more than a pretty face.
    Looks like we may not have to wait several months after all. Check out this article over at palminforcer. http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...event-for-ces/ Apparently, palm will be making an announcement January 8th at CES.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Take the free Blackberry Curve and give it a whirl. If you hate it, dust off your Treo and go back to that. I'm guessing though that once you've gotten used to the Blackberry Curve you won't want to go back. You'll miss the touch screen of the Treo, but only briefly. I'm rockin' a Blackberry Bold right now and life is good!
  12. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I made the jump to a Touch Pro last week after a long line of Palm OS phones. I tried WM several years ago, and hated it, but with Touch Flo or SPB shell, a lot of the klunkiness is hidden. It still isn't as efficient or intuitive as Palm OS, but it works at a tolerable level for me after several days of reading forums and tweaking.

I'm not viewing WM as a long term solution, just the best available one at the moment. Hopefully Palm will knock one out of the park with Nova and/or Android attracts developers at the rate the iphone has.
    Same here. WM Treo pro as an interim measure and my Treo 680 replacement till either the iPhone PIM improves or the mythical Nova phone materialises
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I'm giddy right now. I had the Treo 750 WM for 2 years, then moved to the iPhone - and hated it. I exchanged it today for a BB Bold, and I love it. It does everything that I want it to, and it's almost as easy to use at the Treo. Now I get to go about finishing up the last few things I want to get working (GPS, themes, and transferring media).

I wish this were a Palm product.
  15. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuy119 View Post
    I'm giddy right now. I had the Treo 750 WM for 2 years, then moved to the iPhone - and hated it. I exchanged it today for a BB Bold, and I love it. It does everything that I want it to, and it's almost as easy to use at the Treo. Now I get to go about finishing up the last few things I want to get working (GPS, themes, and transferring media).

I wish this were a Palm product.
    What he said. After long spells with PalmOS and WM (Pro and Std), S60 and the iPhone, I've had the Bold for a month now and it's proving to be a winner by a mile. Everything just works, it's straightforward and well integrated, performance is fast and stable, battery life beats Treos and HTC smartphones hands down, and the screen and keyboard are a delight to use.

As for Powerpack's assertion that "there does not seem to be the interest to bring in good software to blackberry.. .. Maybe because of the closed operating system.", the OS is far more open than the iPhone, and software houses are waking up to it's popularity. In the last month alone there have been BB releases of familiar PDA stalwarts such as Agendus, Pocket Informant, SplashID, and eWallet.

The only thing I miss from a "true" PDA is GPS using maps stored on a memory card - all the GPS applications for BB (of which there are several) use over the air map delivery which renders them useless if you're out of coverage.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    If Kinoma would just make a blackberry version and sling would finish what they started two years ago I would leave palm behind. I would love to save the $100 a month and just use my work phone. I hope you are right on software companies starting to get onboard.

The bold looks like an amazing phone. I played with one about a week ago and the screen is fantastic.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    What he said. After long spells with PalmOS and WM (Pro and Std), S60 and the iPhone, I've had the Bold for a month now and it's proving to be a winner by a mile. Everything just works, it's straightforward and well integrated, performance is fast and stable, battery life beats Treos and HTC smartphones hands down, and the screen and keyboard are a delight to use.

As for Powerpack's assertion that "there does not seem to be the interest to bring in good software to blackberry.. .. Maybe because of the closed operating system.", the OS is far more open than the iPhone, and software houses are waking up to it's popularity. In the last month alone there have been BB releases of familiar PDA stalwarts such as Agendus, Pocket Informant, SplashID, and eWallet.

The only thing I miss from a "true" PDA is GPS using maps stored on a memory card - all the GPS applications for BB (of which there are several) use over the air map delivery which renders them useless if you're out of coverage.

Yeah, I had forgotten about how easy the Bold was to set up. I couldn't believe that I had it up and running in 10 minutes or so, and then had the ability to play with it and try to start customization.

It's nowhere near the final setup I want, but it's fully functional at this point.
    You might as well try the Blackberry now, because if Palm debuts Nova at CES 2009 as rumored/expected, you'll need all new Palm hardware anyway. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, the Blackberry they're offering you is free. Free is good.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    They have now sweatened the deal, they are offering me a free storm....ah!!!!
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  20. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM View Post
    They have now sweatened the deal, they are offering me a free storm....ah!!!!
    Careful, make sure you try one first, and read some reviews (not just the "sponsored" glowing ones). If you're used to the delights of a proper keyboard, you may HATE the Storm's press-once-to-highlight, press-harder-to-click, screen. In many people's eyes, it makes neither a good keyboard, nor a good touch screen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast