Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    By the way, it doesnt seem like a product Jon Rubenstein would approve of. No way.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    We need to have the first post and title edited. This has been proven to not be a Palm device (Thank You!). See the following links and many more in various threads in multiple forums.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2008/12/t-...m_medium=daily
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...ce-identified/
    http://www.pocketables.net/2008/12/mystery-t-swive.html
    Lots of pics on this creature here: http://media.blogtimes.org/89
    Last edited by Scott_L; 12/16/2008 at 07:22 PM.
    LOL...so ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    At initial glance, the T-swivel form factor would be a nice way to gain a larger screen and still keep the one-handed keyboard operation. Can you think of any full-screen device with a hard keyboard you can hold with one hand? I'm thinking maybe the old Samsung 700i where the keyboard slides out the bottom. It would depend heavily on weight and balance, but if you want a big screen, keyboard, and one-handed use, this looks to be a promising solution.

I'm guessing Palm is going to introduce this thing as a convergence device in the way the LifeDrive was intended. All the PIM you would ever need in addition storing your media files (there's A LOT of room for flash memory in that boat!) and the ability to get work done (excel,One-Note, etc), in addition to being your mobile assistant (GPS, social networking etc). I'd sacrifice a little bit of pocketability to gain more ebook and note-taking real-estate, but I'll never give up my hard keyboard and all the quick shortcuts and fast data entry it offers me. People are always talking about making things smaller for the sake of... what? The device shown is all keyboard and screen with very little else, maybe it could be a little thinner but it's the length and width of the screen that dictate it's pocketability. That it it looks 'huge' in that hand is the intention, it's a big screen with a nice keyboard.

I'm also guessing that they will introduce an updated Centro (flush-touch screen?) possibly running Nova too. That would fill those three market segments they want to hit. Consumer:Centro, Business:TreoPro, Prosumer:This...thing.

If it comes loaded with a fast and lean OS and is backwards compatible with all the Garnet software I've invested in then I'd be first in line for it. You might call me a nerd whipping it out in a meeting but at least I can cut and paste with it and do many many more things than your sexy iphone can. Treos are tools, iPhones are iCandy, that's the way it should stay.
    In the movie "Iron Man", I saw the man character using a T-swivel device that looked thin and slick. Anybody has seen it? It is almost as sexy as the iphone while being as practical as my 755P.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

And for everyone claiming the 'Roteo' name is actually real, if I'm remembering right was that just something made up entirely to go with a concept photo by a member here? I didn't think it ever had any real basis... not now, not then.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...39&postcount=3

the OP about the Roteo sounded convincing. But I'm no expert.

Roteo isn't a real name but the code name- like all the devices seem to get.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Actually, here is one of the three designs that will arrive by late 2009'. This one is my favorite b/c it allows the fully useable KB + HVGA and allows the same Treo one handed functionality until you want to flip for widescreen. Internally named Roteo. Coming in 4 colors too I bet!
    follow the link to the original post- it's got a drawing attached...
    I've looked at the original post. At the time, and even now it always just seemed to be idle speculation as far as I'm concerned. (Especially because of the wink). And he said at the very beginning of this thread "Maybe Palm is listening after all." That to me signifies that it was just a concept he came up with that the poster of that was just as surprised as the rest of us that Palm actually started using.

I don't know, I just always have thought it was just more of a wishful thinking type thing rather than some insider information.
    I just have to say this. As a man with full size hands when I saw the pic i have to say that aside from the color I was very pleased. I have seen the slider idea and I like it as well but to be honest to have a horizontal screen of decent length would be great. One thing I keep seeing on here is people saying they want some thin treo for looks but lets be honest here, yeah thin looks cool and all I had the samsung a900 before I eagerly joined the treo family but as cool looking as it was fact is thinner battery means less battery life. The 755p that I have has served me well but almost switched to the centro UNTIL i finally got to hold it in my hands. Tiny keyboard tiny screen and smaller than I feel a treo should be. Now this sentence was said by my wife as she stood beside me so don't get mad at me for this, " Baby, I think I will get one of these so we both have a treo. This seems kinda like a treo for girl hands."
    Her words speak the truth in the regards that for guys with full size hands and fingers like me. So even though the pic on this forum is not the next treo, I hope that the next one is alot like it please dont give us some thin and compressed pda just for style. Hell the one thin about the iphone that I like is the size, hoping that the next treo is one the same lines thought still want the old keyboard along with new touch interface features.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    that's some interesting points about getting too small.

I had a 600/650/700 then used a wm slider then a centro and just recently settled on a samsung i770/ verizon SAGA (basically it's the treo 800w but with optical mouse instead of d-pad and world phone thrown in)

while the 600/650/700 all felt like bricks- going to a horizontal slide leaves something to be desired for me- you pretty much commit to 2 handed use once you get such a wide keyboard. Going back to the centro- the slimness was very nice- but you are right the keyboard could be described as just a bit too small. After writing a few long emails in a row my fingers got kind of uncomfortable.

Along comes the samsung i770. It's actually a bit wider AND taller then the 600/650/700's I think. BUT it is a pile lighter and thinner- so it just feels smaller and more confortable then the 600/650/700 size. And the keyboard is probably a smidge bigger then the old treo's so it's very confy. Also the tiny increase in screen size (i think it's 2.5 vs 2.4)- does add a little. So height and width dont seem to be the be all end all of what feels big.

BUT at the price of that good feel is tiny battery life. Trying to use it with the stock battery and 24/7 push email is almost impossible. Using the extended battery (still probably skinnier then the old treo "bricks" )- at least gets it to be just ok for once a day charging.

So there's a lot of trade offs with size and weight and battery that all have to come together for a device to be perfect. Not even sure there is a way to get them all to be good at once with current battery technology.

I think the way to get there though are next gen li-ion batteries that they can make in odd ball sizes to fill any availible space. Instead of a little brickish form factor that drops in the device- maybe they could make a battery that's much thinner but takes up the whole back of the device or something. Make the whole device smooth and they you could pick how thick a back to toss on for your own particular battery needs. We sort of do that now with all the various lumps- oem or aftermarket- but instead of a lump spread the mass out accross the whole back.
    ...so Palm don't copy it, or something.
    I agree with the "too small" point. I haven't got a problem with the width of my 650 (and the comfortable keyboard). It's the thickness and weight that's the problem.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I agree with the "too small" point. I haven't got a problem with the width of my 650 (and the comfortable keyboard). It's the thickness and weight that's the problem.
    If you are on verizon- you should RUN- dont walk- run to the verizon store and get yourself a samsung saga. (i770)- its actually slightly wider and taller then the 600/650/700 family but it's way thinner and lighter. So it actually feels smaller in your hand. But you get a little bigger keyboard and a sight bit larger screen.

- it's basically got the specs of the treo 800w in a slightly different package
    I don't like it
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    If you are on verizon- you should RUN- dont walk- run to the verizon store and get yourself a samsung saga. (i770)- its actually slightly wider and taller then the 600/650/700 family but it's way thinner and lighter. So it actually feels smaller in your hand. But you get a little bigger keyboard and a sight bit larger screen.

- it's basically got the specs of the treo 800w in a slightly different package
    Even if I was on Verizon, I'm still resisting the 'w' for the time being.
    WM is not the answer for die hard Palm OS users. We have been waiting for the new OS and i'll be damned if I'm going to give up now and buy a copycat Treo w/ windows mobile. I'm still using my Treo 755p and will until I can get my grubby hands on a Nova device on whatever carrier gets it first.

Tim
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    WM is not the answer for die hard Palm OS users. We have been waiting for the new OS and i'll be damned if I'm going to give up now and buy a copycat Treo w/ windows mobile. I'm still using my Treo 755p and will until I can get my grubby hands on a Nova device on whatever carrier gets it first.

Tim
    Any idea which carrier?
    Great! Now people will be driving one-handed with the new Palm while texting on this huge device.
    and what about the f...ing Treo form factor with vertical rectangle screen and vertical sliding keyboard?

I don't want this piece of s..it, I doesn't have ANY advantage, and it's so ugly that only a few "die hard PalmOS users" will buy it.

Palm needs huge people buy it, not a few PUG friends.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789