Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Palm should make a vigorous effort to (re)capture the physician market!
    -- Josh
    No way - the Assistant Superintendent of Schools market is where it's at.
    Palm should make a vigorous effort to (re)capture the physician market!
    -- Josh
    I can only hope. I just switched from a 700p to the Touch Pro. After a month I'm still not sure which has more annoyances - probably the Touch Pro. I'm getting around them or learning how to bypass many of them, but other tasks I simply have to memorize over time the extra taps necessary. It really does take an extra 2-5 taps to do anything in WinMob vs. the same task in FrankenGarnet.

While I and my IT committee members could make the switch ok, I shudder to think how long it would take the 10-20 Luddites in our 70 doc practice to accomodate to WinMob after having become accustomed to FrankenGarnet on the 700ps and Centros.

My hope is that the usability/friendliness/learning curve of Nova will be comparable to the 700p we swapped in as replacement for our pagers a few years ago. My only other hope for a good work phone OS for my partners is Android, but I haven't had the chance to play with that. Additionally as mentioned in a prior post, many of us docs use Epocrates or some other medicine related application(s) daily. Keeping my fingers crossed that there'll be a version of these apps compatible with these Linux phone OSs.
    Last edited by Don'tPanic; 12/15/2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: grammar
    USR Pilot 5000->3Com PalmPilot Pro->Palm IIIx->Palm 515->Palm TT3->Treo 700p->HTC Touch Pro->Palm Pre->HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    No way - the Assistant Superintendent of Schools market is where it's at.
    Supernintendo Chalmers, what's a battle?
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    This must be the ugliest thing from Palm... ever. Goodbye Palm...
    I agree. If this is the best Palm could come up with then they deserve to fail.
    I'd pimp the $#!+ out of it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I disagree. I'm a doctor. Doctors love connectivity, and we're on call all the time, so we need connectivity. Most carry cellphone, beeper, and PDA -- usually Palm PDA, believe it or not (lots of TX's and E2's, plenty of older devices, too). Healthcare systems are handing out Blackberries left and right, iPhones, too. Consistently doctors are thrilled to be on the phone, the web, and e-mail. But then they look for the medical software and realize they've made a mistake. Many come to me and ask, "hey, how do I get ________ [software app] from my Palm onto my Blackberry?" I break 'em the bad news that they can't. They traded up for e-mail, but traded WAY down for the other software which many doctors find indispensible in daily medical care. Every few months I check the iPhone App Store to see how much the iPhone platform has caught up with Palm medical software offerings, and the answer is that after an initial surge, there hasn't been too much recently and they're still WAY behind Palm.

Doctors have money, doctors have connectivity needs, and doctors have incredible needs for medical data and references at their fingertips (which Palm PDA's excel at). Palm should make a vigorous effort to (re)capture the physician market!
    -- Josh
    Josh,

I'm a Psychiatry resident in Pittsburgh, and I couldn't agree more. I've been putting notes into Epocrates for palm for years. I've also had a palm version of Lexi-Comp, not to mention software for mnemonics, MMSE, Cochrane Reviews, and the full MGH Neuro handbook. This market is ideal for Palm to make a comeback.

Riz
    I agree with Josh. There may be some medical apps for the iPhone but it's not quite there yet. Palm still leads in the medical arena but without 3G and Wifi, the hardware is sadly lacking. Now the Nova would change all that.
    The sad thing about Apple is by not allowing emulators for the iPhone platform (read Styletap) I think they have deterred many Palm diehards (like myself) from getting one.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  8.    #149  
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/2259-1.htm

..updated story, I think this is mean to be a UMPC or a MID and not a smartphone...

"Personally, I'm thinking that this will end up <em>not</em> being a Palm device -- it's so large it smells like the Mobile Internet Device (MID) that some have speculated it is. I.E., not really intended to be a traditional smartphone. "
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    omg becky, look at her palm. it's so big! oh well, it's still fun thinking about the features that may be incorporated into the next palm.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    "Personally, I'm thinking that this will end up <em>not</em> being a Palm device -- it's so large it smells like the Mobile Internet Device (MID) that some have speculated it is. I.E., not really intended to be a traditional smartphone. "
    Well maybe Palm will enter the MID market
    Global Posts
    383 Global Posts
    Either the person in the picture has small hands or that device is HUGE. I think its ugly, and not just because it doesn't have nice metallic black paint or other designs on it.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I disagree. I'm a doctor. Doctors love connectivity, and we're on call all the time, so we need connectivity. Most carry cellphone, beeper, and PDA -- usually Palm PDA, believe it or not (lots of TX's and E2's, plenty of older devices, too). Healthcare systems are handing out Blackberries left and right, iPhones, too. Consistently doctors are thrilled to be on the phone, the web, and e-mail. But then they look for the medical software and realize they've made a mistake. Many come to me and ask, "hey, how do I get ________ [software app] from my Palm onto my Blackberry?" I break 'em the bad news that they can't. They traded up for e-mail, but traded WAY down for the other software which many doctors find indispensible in daily medical care. Every few months I check the iPhone App Store to see how much the iPhone platform has caught up with Palm medical software offerings, and the answer is that after an initial surge, there hasn't been too much recently and they're still WAY behind Palm.

Doctors have money, doctors have connectivity needs, and doctors have incredible needs for medical data and references at their fingertips (which Palm PDA's excel at). Palm should make a vigorous effort to (re)capture the physician market!
    -- Josh

does seem for sure that the Medical apps are all palm- notice my doc the other day was doing my electronic presciptions on the tungsten or some other non phone palm os pda.

But aside from that niche- there's just as many- if not perhaps more options for winmo- and probably iphone, and bb. And here's the key- the NEW stuff is all for those other platforms as everyone else watchs palm OS die. Frankengranet just can't do as much without a lot of trying. I'm sure it's just a matter of time till the medical software folks find someone who writes for winmo or ipods too...

doesn't matter if you have the best software in the world for palm os- if there doesn't exist hardware to buy then you are sunk. Do people write OS for commadore PC's are windows pc's?

Notice you even say "(re) capture" as everyone is running off the palm os ship.

Nova better rock or Palm OS is done and it wont matter what software it has.

(although i think there is an emulator for you folks to use palm os on winmo?)
    I think it has been mentioned in other threads, but a fairly important aspect of nova having a linux kernel is that you open up the OS to a fairly robust legion of linux developers. These are guys and gals that know linux inside and out and have been writing apps and helping develop the linux os just because they hold a passion for it.

Now, I'm not sure the heads Google and Palm can swallow their egos enough to do it, but they would both benefit tremendously by joining LiMo. The could have a broad range of devices running a consistent kernel and I imagine sufficient flexibility to put their own UI on top of the kernel. At the very least, Palm would be well served joining LiMo.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    At initial glance, the T-swivel form factor would be a nice way to gain a larger screen and still keep the one-handed keyboard operation. Can you think of any full-screen device with a hard keyboard you can hold with one hand? I'm thinking maybe the old Samsung 700i where the keyboard slides out the bottom. It would depend heavily on weight and balance, but if you want a big screen, keyboard, and one-handed use, this looks to be a promising solution.

I'm guessing Palm is going to introduce this thing as a convergence device in the way the LifeDrive was intended. All the PIM you would ever need in addition storing your media files (there's A LOT of room for flash memory in that boat!) and the ability to get work done (excel,One-Note, etc), in addition to being your mobile assistant (GPS, social networking etc). I'd sacrifice a little bit of pocketability to gain more ebook and note-taking real-estate, but I'll never give up my hard keyboard and all the quick shortcuts and fast data entry it offers me. People are always talking about making things smaller for the sake of... what? The device shown is all keyboard and screen with very little else, maybe it could be a little thinner but it's the length and width of the screen that dictate it's pocketability. That it it looks 'huge' in that hand is the intention, it's a big screen with a nice keyboard.

I'm also guessing that they will introduce an updated Centro (flush-touch screen?) possibly running Nova too. That would fill those three market segments they want to hit. Consumer:Centro, Business:TreoPro, Prosumer:This...thing.

If it comes loaded with a fast and lean OS and is backwards compatible with all the Garnet software I've invested in then I'd be first in line for it. You might call me a nerd whipping it out in a meeting but at least I can cut and paste with it and do many many more things than your sexy iphone can. Treos are tools, iPhones are iCandy, that's the way it should stay.
    Has anyone here seen the T-Mobile SIDEKICK?
    These pictures *totally* remind me of the older sidekicks. It looks like a Palm Sidekick.

..and yes, it is a little ugly in these pictures.

I recently moved from Treo 600, to a Sidekick II (as a temporary interim that lasted longer than I expected), to a Treo Pro.

The Sidekick was GREAT at what it did, but it just didn't do as many things as a Palm or Win-Mo device. Of all the smartphones and PDAs that I have tried, the Sidekick (especially the Sidekick-2) has the best keyboard on a mobile. My wife can type faster with two thumbs on her Sidekick ID than I can type on a full-size computer keyboard(!)

The twist-up screen on the Sidekicks is also very easy to open, and clearly larger than any Treo Screen.

Say,.. Didn't Palm recently hire some designer from Dangr -- the creators of the Sidekicks?
    "To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 1 posts."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/2259-1.htm

..updated story, I think this is mean to be a UMPC or a MID and not a smartphone...

The keyboard markings are un-mistakably Palm. (eg Find key, screen brightness etc)
    maybe this is Foleo2?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The keyboard markings are un-mistakably Palm. (eg Find key, screen brightness etc)
    That doesn't mean anything really though. There's a million different devices that (admittedly usually from China) that are complete ripoffs of the stylings of others. This looks like an iPhone, it doesn't make it an Apple product: http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/06/k...than-phonetic/

Anyway, I've thought all along that this was never going to be a Palm device. I agree entirely with comments that this is a UMPC/MID, why else would it have a touchpad (great for interacting with a full desktop with not much space, kind of useless on a phone).

If it does rotate, I'd much prefer it to have something similar to the Nokia patent's style of rotation though, where the screen rotates behind the keyboard, like I said on the other speculation thread here.

And for everyone claiming the 'Roteo' name is actually real, if I'm remembering right was that just something made up entirely to go with a concept photo by a member here? I didn't think it ever had any real basis... not now, not then.
    This "UMPC" looks like the next generation Lifedrive or TX... If it is going to be a Palm device, i suspect this will be the OTHER device (not a smartphone).

I find the attraction or the market for such a device (UMPC) to be too small still. Basically it is going to be as small as the current PDA market. It will be a mistake for Palm to think that people will still want to buy such a thing.

I still think they should attack the Netbook market with vengeance! with a FOleo2 of course!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast