Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Last story I read on the HD is that HTC has no plans on releasing it in the US.
    There are nothing but rumors about the Touch HD coming to Sprint, but I don't think it's far-fetched. Manufacturers tend to deny upcomg releases when a carrier is attached to them, since carrier don't want customers holding off on purchases for future products.

But Sprint tends to get HTC devices before other US carriers, and it's pretty clear that the HD would be the Jesusphone of WM. It might be wishful thinking to expect the HD on Sprint, but I think its reasonable.

I'm calling BS on the Quattro. According to the original English article that relayed this rumor (which made no mention of Palm -- that commentary was added when Matt Miller picked up the story), the metadata on the photo says June 18, which was about a month before Rubinstein was said to have axed a number of form factors.

Even without that information,I have to agree with the others who've said that the Palm that turned out a device as sleek as the Treo Pro would never release a device as clunky as that prototype (even a refined version of the same base design).
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That sure is one ugly looking phone.

The design makes no sense at all - if you are a person who wants one-handed usage most of the time, then you are going to want a keyboard that is accessible all of the time, not with some stupid twist.

If you are a person who wants two-handed use most of the time, you are going to wonder why it's not got a full keyboard that slides down.

Did I mention how ugly it was?
    at this point, we really don't know how the twist mechanism works or even if you have to twist to reveal the keyboard. maybe you can just flick the screen upward with your thumb & have it remain vertical OR twist it horizontal. might be nice to have both options.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    My preference would be for a vertical slider to expose the keyboard. But if you could do most things on the touch screen without the qwerty keyboard and only needed it for heavy-weight text entry, I would not dismiss this out of hand.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    My preference would be for a vertical slider to expose the keyboard. But if you could do most things on the touch screen without the qwerty keyboard and only needed it for heavy-weight text entry, I would not dismiss this out of hand.
    ooh, yeah, 3 options -
    1) touch screen/no kb
    2) slide up for vert screen & kb
    3) twist for horizontal screen & kb
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    looking at the article that this came from - I'll have to join those who say this is a failed UMPC concept - that's the context it's discussed in.
    oh my god!
    its my dream mobile. i'm really hoping this is the new linux os, maybe nova.
    Are you being sarcastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    If it is Nova, how long before developers get on board?
    Personally, I think if it was released tomorrow, it would still be a good year or two before it would even be worthwhile.

But if the new Nova is backwards-compatible with all previous Palm software, then Palm will still be WAY out in front of everyone else in terms of 3rd party add-on software apps.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If the hand is anything like the size of mine that thing is about 3 cm wider than my Treo 650. Gigantic!

Make it big, I don't care. I carry it in my hand for minutes at a time, in a hip holster clipped to my belt the rest of the time. As long as it fits in my hand I don't mind it being a bit bigger than previous Treo form factors. Seems everyone is obsessed with miniaturization. I want the opposite. The best Palms I've had are the PDA's (Tungsten T, T/3, E2). I want a PDA that doubles as my cellphone. The Centro is tiny, and I chose my current 680 over the Centro mostly for the slightly larger screen and slightly larger keyboard. Look at the iPhone. It is bigger (mainly longer) than your usual little candybar dumbphone, and yet it is selling like candy. As long as it is highly usable in my hand, I don't mind it being even a bit bigger than my 650 & 680.
    -- Josh
    Kind of tagging on the current stream, I've thought for a long time Palm ought to run with three basic "platforms": a data-centric device (essentially a UMPC that works as a phone), a phone-centric device, and a truly converged device. However, I could see the last two, phone-centric and converged become a single device, as I think technology and the market are making the two effectively one.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    If this is the next generation of palm devices, I will succumb to the tempations of the devil and go for an iphone. Goodbye to 10 years of apps.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Make it big, I don't care. I carry it in my hand for minutes at a time, in a hip holster clipped to my belt the rest of the time. As long as it fits in my hand I don't mind it being a bit bigger than previous Treo form factors. Seems everyone is obsessed with miniaturization. I want the opposite. The best Palms I've had are the PDA's (Tungsten T, T/3, E2). I want a PDA that doubles as my cellphone. The Centro is tiny, and I chose my current 680 over the Centro mostly for the slightly larger screen and slightly larger keyboard. Look at the iPhone. It is bigger (mainly longer) than your usual little candybar dumbphone, and yet it is selling like candy. As long as it is highly usable in my hand, I don't mind it being even a bit bigger than my 650 & 680.
    -- Josh
    I feel similarly.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'm just hoping it isn't as laggy as some WM devices are when switching from portrait to landscape (i.e. Mogul)
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I asked a Korean friend to sniff around and if I understand his reply correctly (his english is not great), He thinks this is a model of an possible DMB (Digital broadcast) phone from a company called MIU technologies and is not a palm device.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    But if the new Nova is backwards-compatible with all previous Palm software, then Palm will still be WAY out in front of everyone else in terms of 3rd party add-on software apps.
    -- Josh
    Unfortunately that's a myth- at this point there's just as much windows, blackberry, and probably even iphone apps as there is palm OS apps.

And there's plenty on the other platforms that is more advanced then on the palm os. Try get an app to stream sirius radio on a palm- it ain happening... Looking for street view on google maps- opps sorry...

palm has squandered a HUGE HUGE lead that they had. Now I'm not even sure they are second rate- maybe they are thirdrate....

It looks like everyone has pretty much picked samsung over palm for their WM phones for business users. So that market is closing for them

They better kick **** with their new NOVA devices right out of the gate or "it's over johny."
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I asked a Korean friend to sniff around and if I understand his reply correctly (his english is not great), He thinks this is a model of an possible DMB (Digital broadcast) phone from a company called MIU technologies and is not a palm device.

was hoping someone who knows Korean could pipe in- thanks
    it's fugly allright. I just hope who ever though of that hideous thing (by today's Iphone dominated standards) has long been fired.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Harsh.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Harsh.
    Yeah. People had the same over-the-top reaction when first pics of the Centro came out... it turned out to be a cute little phone.
    Unfortunately that's a myth- at this point there's just as much windows, blackberry, and probably even iphone apps as there is palm OS apps.

I disagree. I'm a doctor. Doctors love connectivity, and we're on call all the time, so we need connectivity. Most carry cellphone, beeper, and PDA -- usually Palm PDA, believe it or not (lots of TX's and E2's, plenty of older devices, too). Healthcare systems are handing out Blackberries left and right, iPhones, too. Consistently doctors are thrilled to be on the phone, the web, and e-mail. But then they look for the medical software and realize they've made a mistake. Many come to me and ask, "hey, how do I get ________ [software app] from my Palm onto my Blackberry?" I break 'em the bad news that they can't. They traded up for e-mail, but traded WAY down for the other software which many doctors find indispensible in daily medical care. Every few months I check the iPhone App Store to see how much the iPhone platform has caught up with Palm medical software offerings, and the answer is that after an initial surge, there hasn't been too much recently and they're still WAY behind Palm.

Doctors have money, doctors have connectivity needs, and doctors have incredible needs for medical data and references at their fingertips (which Palm PDA's excel at). Palm should make a vigorous effort to (re)capture the physician market!
    -- Josh
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast