Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I read on another blog, that these pictures came from an article on failed umpc's. If this is a Palm device then its probably one of the many palm form factors that Rubinstein rejected when elevation came to Palm. It just doesn't make any since to move back in this direction after going thin and sleek with the treo pro. That device looks as thick as my old treo 650.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Well, I personally don't think it's a form factor I'd be in love with. However, if the goal is to (a) have a bigger screen, (b) have a qwerty kb, and ( c) have a level of one-handed operation, there could be worse. I would rather have a slide-up kb and just turn the phone for video or landscape view, but to each his own.
    agreed

If Im going to have device that flips/slides/jumps in any way it better have a bigger keybord than that.

I hope something good come from palm.

If not I hope dmitry comes through with his DGOS hes developing. If not goodbye Palm. I'll wait for Sprint to get the touch HD and be happy.
    There is no way that Palm would put out something this ugly. They have more style than this.

This design is probably a prototype that happens to mimic the clear chiclet keyboard style of Centro.

Remember the voq with the fold out keyboard? http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Sierra_Wireless_Voq.htm - now that's ill-conceived design.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron View Post
    Remember the voq with the fold out keyboard? http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Sierra_Wireless_Voq.htm - now that's ill-conceived design.
    And what about the Sony Ericsson P990 keyboard? http://www.mobileguerilla.com/articl...smartphone.php
    AAAARRGGGHHH.... RECESSED SCREEN!!!! Having moved over to the Touch Pro, the flush screen and nicer touch screen are a must if I'm to return to Palm. I hope that's an early early prototype.
    I agree with some of the previous posts. I don't think this is a Palm device. This is likely another ATOM based MID. The mouse and the two mouse buttons definitely put it in that league. Intel even had a prototype that was almost the same and has been shown for the last year at least.

No way this is a Palm device. No chance.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    I agree with some of the previous posts. I don't think this is a Palm device. This is likely another ATOM based MID. The mouse and the two mouse buttons definitely put it in that league. Intel even had a prototype that was almost the same and has been shown for the last year at least.

No way this is a Palm device. No chance.
    so you figure they just stole a palm gel keyboard?

Maybe not a phone but it sure seems to be a palm device based on the keyboard. Unless maybe HTC stole a palm keyboard off one of their lines and used it on something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    so you figure they just stole a palm gel keyboard?
    Palm doesn't have an exclusive on gel. you see it on other mid/umpc. the layout doesn't look to be palm specific.

I don't think this device has ever been near palm. the original article is about failed mid/umpc designs.

This is the crazyest rumor discussion I have ever seen. an article in a Korean blog about eee pc mid which shows an example of an old failed umpc design then morphs into the upcoming "new Palm"!?! It is like a surreal and cruel joke on palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This is the crazyest rumor discussion I have ever seen. an article in a Korean blog about eee pc mid which shows an example of an old failed umpc design then morphs into the upcoming "new Palm"!?! It is like a surreal and cruel joke on palm.
    Hey. We don't have anything else with all the silence. If something doesn't break soon we're liable to start posting official Palm press releases and believing them.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Palm doesn't have an exclusive on gel. you see it on other mid/umpc. the layout doesn't look to be palm specific.

I don't think this device has ever been near palm. the original article is about failed mid/umpc designs.

Have a closer look at the keyboard and labelling. I would say that it is un-mistakably Palm. Prototype, mock-up, Photoshop? Who knows?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i'm in my happy place imagining what the next palm device could be. i have no idea whether the pic is a palm, a fake or whatever, but it has fired up my imagination & i'm enjoying that right now.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    i'm in my happy place imagining what the next palm device could be. i have no idea whether the pic is a palm, a fake or whatever, but it has fired up my imagination & i'm enjoying that right now.
    And the 8th January is not far away. Hope they don't disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    agreed

If Im going to have device that flips/slides/jumps in any way it better have a bigger keybord than that.

I hope something good come from palm.

If not I hope dmitry comes through with his DGOS hes developing. If not goodbye Palm. I'll wait for Sprint to get the touch HD and be happy.
    Last story I read on the HD is that HTC has no plans on releasing it in the US.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14452
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/16/2008 at 11:58 AM.
    There is no way this will be the real deal. If it is, you can say Goodbye to Palm.
    That would be EOL for them if that was legit.

True what was said earlier. Palm has more sense then this to make something like that. I know they are somewhat slow in the brain, but they know just like we do what is out there now and what is coming out.

They know the iPhone is out, G1, HTC products, Nokia, Blackberry, The Omnia, and half those things are pretty slick. Bringing out something like this would do them no good. It would be like they are back tracking, and not moving forward. Palm knows what has to be done for them to stay alive, and i'll tell you, it isn't it. If it is, the rest the Palm employees need to be fired then, forget Palm, and let RIM and other companies take over.

It would be a sad day in this industry if that was the new device. We will all be attending Palms funeral.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Shooooo, I dont know what ya'll talking about but if Palm can give me a device with a:

1) Fullscreen (Iphone like)
    2) The treo 755 keyboard that I love
    3) GPS
    4) Nice camera
    5) A way to use my old Palm OS programs( have alot)
    6) Linux OS
    From the pictures, I'll say the first 2 are checked off.

I'm good! :-)
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That sure is one ugly looking phone.

The design makes no sense at all - if you are a person who wants one-handed usage most of the time, then you are going to want a keyboard that is accessible all of the time, not with some stupid twist.

If you are a person who wants two-handed use most of the time, you are going to wonder why it's not got a full keyboard that slides down.

Did I mention how ugly it was?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The design makes no sense at all - if you are a person who wants one-handed usage most of the time, then you are going to want a keyboard that is accessible all of the time, not with some stupid twist.
    Maybe that's true of some or even most, but clearly it's not true of everyone. Otherwise, this design would be universally panned.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Who's currently making a slide or twist phone with a half-size qwerty keyboard?

I see older designs with them but I cannot think of a new landscape screen design that has them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Who's currently making a slide or twist phone with a half-size qwerty keyboard?

I see older designs with them but I cannot think of a new landscape screen design that has them.
    There've been whispers, but I'm not saying anyone is making that type of phone. I'm saying that you're mistaken in saying that wanting a larger screen and front-facing qwerty automatically means that one won't want "some stupid twist," as evidenced by the few positive reactions to the device's design.

That's all.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.