Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Man, that thing is ugly!
    Treo 700wx,755p,Htc Diamond...
    I wonder if that touchpad is multi-touch.
    the g1 looked really ugly on pictures, but looks decent in person. same could be with this model. But please add the apple touches xD
    but if there is backward compatibility there are still a lot of applications you can use
    I don't know, will have to see a production unit before I make a final decision.

Although, is it just my imagination, or does it look like the device has a camera on the screen side of the face? What would be the functionality of that? This is rampant daydreaming on my part, but I had a thought the other day that, if Palm wanted to hit an absolute grandslam, they would ship their new OS device with a built in ability to do some kind of video conferencing/calling. The technology is all there: the lenses used are video lenses, Treos have done video capture for a long time, and streaming video and audio are already common place. I think the issue is just having the hardware, software and processing power together in one place. Even if it was some kind of internet based application that only worked with other Treos, I think that would be a grandslam.

JMHO
    Gargoyle
    When the first images of the Centro came out, some also thought it looked ugly. I don't think we can judge a pre-production device as a bit of colour can make a world of a difference.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    No reason why it can't have both

exactly, all the newer samsung keyboard devices have the "optical mouse" and a touch screen.
    Last edited by efudd; 12/08/2008 at 05:16 PM.
    yuck. Ugly, whatever it is.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekegley View Post
    I have had a Treo since the 270 (Visorphone before that), the 600, 650 andnow 680, so am very familiar with the ergonomics of Handspring/Palm device. I have wanted something like this that has a rotatable sliding screen for a while. I like the way it would be smaller wheen closed so that I am holding only half a brick when closed , but could still be open and rotated to give it an advantage to the iPhone for web surfing. I do not like the aesthetics, but would like to see a "prettier' one of these come to market quickly with Nova support. My Treo 680 is getting a little long in the tooth.

ek
    obviously I dont know what you will want- but i think if you have used an allways accessible keyboard all these years you would quickly toss a slider/flip/swival out a window.

I only had a 600,650,700 and I couldn't stand the lack of an accessible keyboard on the slider i had. I had to go back to hundred year old OS centro.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    I don't know, will have to see a production unit before I make a final decision.

Although, is it just my imagination, or does it look like the device has a camera on the screen side of the face? What would be the functionality of that? This is rampant daydreaming on my part, but I had a thought the other day that, if Palm wanted to hit an absolute grandslam, they would ship their new OS device with a built in ability to do some kind of video conferencing/calling. The technology is all there: the lenses used are video lenses, Treos have done video capture for a long time, and streaming video and audio are already common place. I think the issue is just having the hardware, software and processing power together in one place. Even if it was some kind of internet based application that only worked with other Treos, I think that would be a grandslam.

JMHO
    Gargoyle

japanese phones have had videoconferencing (or whatever you want to call it) for some time now.

not such a stretch.
    efudd,

I'm not familiar with what is out on the Japanese market, but to the best of my knowledge, videoconferencing cellphones are not common in the U.S. Still, I think if Palm sent out a mass distributed new model with such a feature, even if it could only video with other Palm phones with the Palm app installed, I think they'd have a winner on their hands.

Gargoyle
    OMG!

Is that thing ugly!

Looks like WM to me and I sure hope its not a palm device. (well at least not to replace the Treo, maybe a umpc) If I have to spin things around I might as well get an iphone, and I dont want to be a part of the iphone crew either.

Is it me or does anyone else think the Treos form factor with the T3's extendable screen would be a perfect device?
    The keyboard certainly seems to be by Palm.

eg
    Dark blob function key
    Magnifying glass search key bottom left.
    & on the A key.
    P key has the screen brighness symbol
    Numeric keypad in the the usual place.
    etc

Hopefully an early prototype.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    When the first images of the Centro came out, some also thought it looked ugly. I don't think we can judge a pre-production device as a bit of colour can make a world of a difference.
    I second that.
    Look at all the wasted space (opportunity) around the screen. It HAS to be a Palm design. They'll never learn.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    This must be the ugliest thing from Palm... ever. Goodbye Palm...

The good part is, it may be a concept or a college product design exercise (the tiny touchpad...).

I have to agree if that is what Jon R has allowed Palm to bring to market then PALM is indeed in our history books and we will have to look to improvements on the google operating system or look to that guy who said he would rewrite the Palm OS (he should contact HTC) when he finishes the development. How can one "technology" company make so many mistakes. Jeff what have you and Ed C done to such a great company to make it go up in smoke. You had it all the first Palm, then the Palm V and then the Treo 600. Treo 650 was a good phone but then you guys lost it. What do u have to say for yourselves?

Treo Lady, what are your comments?

Perry what are your comments?

This is not the "Silly Season" if that is what they have brought to market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd have to agree with previous comments, that thing is just plain fugly.

I don't get the benefit of the swivel vs a slider, unless the screen *also* slides up when vertical, which might be cool. Come to think of it, that might explain why the top ridge of the exposed keyboard is smile-shaped, it would align neatly underneath the screen when slid up. Hmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I have to agree if that is what Jon R has allowed Palm to bring to market then PALM is indeed in our history books and we will have to look to improvements on the google operating system or look to that guy who said he would rewrite the Palm OS (he should contact HTC) when he finishes the development. How can one "technology" company make so many mistakes. Jeff what have you and Ed C done to such a great company to make it go up in smoke. You had it all the first Palm, then the Palm V and then the Treo 600. Treo 650 was a good phone but then you guys lost it. What do u have to say for yourselves?

Treo Lady, what are your comments?

Perry what are your comments?

This is not the "Silly Season" if that is what they have brought to market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    could I add to the above remarks "What were Jeff and Ed Drinking"
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I would have preferred for the device to be a "Slide-UP" design (so you can open it with one hand). Design wise it seems to be reminiscent of a bar of soap
    I agree, BaDZeD. Slide up you could almost live with. This rotating thing...no way you can do that one handed unless you were the state baton twirling champion back in high school!
    coming out....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (29.7 KB, 140 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (20.1 KB, 113 views)