Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    you guys (under 25) have no money- they need us "old" people as their customers to make some cash.

laughing
    a big lol xD
    I know 12 guys with iphones here in Atlanta, 8 of them are between 25 to 20,
    and we are college students, workers. Paying 200 dollars for a phone is not that much, I own a treo 800w.
    The OS nova was supposed to be marketed to prosumer sector (guys who can pay for fashion, while treo (WM) to business market.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Lots of potential here. Key is smooth one-hand action for twisting the keyboard out. The T-shape, while appearing a bit odd at first, should provide excellent support of the device for one-hand or two-hand operation. A photo with better size context would be nice. And the white is...um...iffy.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshiki2 View Post
    a big lol xD
    I know 12 guys with iphones here in Atlanta, 8 of them are between 25 to 20,
    and we are college students, workers. Paying 200 dollars for a phone is not that much, I own a treo 800w.
    The OS nova was supposed to be marketed to prosumer sector (guys who can pay for fashion, while treo (WM) to business market.

i was mostly goofing- but i think to make the FAT money they really to need to hit the business market- like Blackberry does. Their WM Treo's MIGHT do that but the boat sailed I think. The 2 big guns have WM treo replacements and have shunned WM treas- Att has the epix (sp?)- and verizon has the Saga. So looks like Samsung stole the WM Treo market that businesses want according to Palm's logic.

And not to drift too far off- but there was a pretty amazing article at wmexperts the other day that should stats that make it look like the iphone steals most directly from Blackberry and NOT WM. So I guess more holes in my argument.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red9977 View Post
    ... And the white is...um...iffy.

the white I'm SURE was just whatever pellets they had in the injection modling machine at the prototype shop that day. I wouldn't worry about the color of the prototype a year before the phone actually arrives being the end color.
    Sure looks like a Palm device! I've been hoping we'd start to see some pics slipped out. I even practically begged Palm in this article on Friday to give us a few crumbs of what's coming. They really need to get some excitement going to keep people drawn in.

"Speaking of that next generation operating system, I think it would do Palm some good, really good, to give us at least a few hints on the upcoming new platform. A pic here or there or a hint of what's to come whispered around the Web would cause some excitement and get the buzz going. Palm really needs this new platform to succeed. I want it to succeed! I know that Palm can still do great things! They were the pioneers and I want them to sweep us off our feet into the future with dazzling bells and whistles on their future devices. It's sort of hard for people to get excited when there's so much mystery involved and we don't really know what to expect. We need some crumbs to get us excited."

"I can't wait to see what Palm has to offer in their upcoming next generation platform. Please give us some clues Palm! Let's get silly season going and those rumor mills spinning again! ;-)
    "

I can't wait to see more pics! The protoype in the pic isn't the prettiest device, but it is a prototype, so I bet the finished product will look good.
    Im not a fan of the form factor. Id much rather the slide concept thats been posted here a few times.

Either way, its going to come down to the OS and the desktop interface for me. Im looking for specific upgrades to both. As long as those come thru and theres backwards compatibility Ill be happy.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    If this is truely the new future for Palm, the 680 is going to be my last unit. My 680 right now is only used for TomTom & Garmin, and the iPhone is my main unit. Still love the 680 very much though.

After the 680/750/755p , came along the Centro ... I found that unit ultra ugly.

This new "Treo" is super FUGLY.
    I'm REALLY hoping that this is a new phone that will compete with the iPhone and the G1. Let's face it, Palm is getting it's **** kicked in the smartphone market like a narc in a biker rally. Right now, Palm is dead last in the smartphone market. I'm even starting to loose hope for Palm to recover. This new handset is going to have to be awsome, or I'll have to consider switching to another type of phone.
    I wonder if it will have a stylus, or do you think Palm will ditch that?
    Quote Originally Posted by makmlaf View Post
    I wonder if it will have a stylus, or do you think Palm will ditch that?
    I hope they dont but from the looks of this pic, the touch pad is going to take the place of it.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    If this is a Palm device and it is going to run Nova, idk if a small touch pad is a good thing or a bad thing. It could be a good thing in showing the power of Nova but then again the touch pad could be a bad thing vs an optical mouse like one of those Samsung handhelds.

Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    if you have the ability to control a mouse pointer then there's no need at all for a stylus except for something to jamm in a reset hole.

the new samsung saga i770 (the treo replacement for verizon)- has an optical mouse. It all but negates the need to ever touch the stylus. Being MS based there's still a couple times when you need it (drag and drop works but is tough to do from one corner of the screen to the opposite like playing solitair)- and a couple places where the ui expects a 5-way instead of a stylus.

if it's built into the device/os/ui from the get go then a stylus is totally unneeded.

I've had the saga for about 10 days now and I'm shocked how the optical mouse completely negates the need to use a stylus. (on the saga you can click a single hard button to have the optical mouse pretend to be a 5-way for those apps that are 5way ready but not stylus ready)

Also- haveing an actual mouse pointer is tons easier to aim for small things before you click rather then using a stylus. No more playing minesweeper at the expert setting and clicking the wrong box- laughing.
    I have had a Treo since the 270 (Visorphone before that), the 600, 650 andnow 680, so am very familiar with the ergonomics of Handspring/Palm device. I have wanted something like this that has a rotatable sliding screen for a while. I like the way it would be smaller wheen closed so that I am holding only half a brick when closed , but could still be open and rotated to give it an advantage to the iPhone for web surfing. I do not like the aesthetics, but would like to see a "prettier' one of these come to market quickly with Nova support. My Treo 680 is getting a little long in the tooth.

ek
    With all the cool devices out there I think Palm needs something really great for the next generation.

When I saw the title of the article I got really psyched. But, when I saw the picture I was let down. I expect (well, hope anyway) to see the next generation have a wow factor when I see it. And although it looks nice, it's a long way from wowing me. But then again, it's only a supposed prototype so time will tell.
    If it is Nova, how long before developers get on board?
    Personally, I think if it was released tomorrow, it would still be a good year or two before it would even be worthwhile.
    Just call me Berd.
    Bbblllleeeccchhh!
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Why the touch pad vs. a touch screen. I prefer the touch screen.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    No reason why it can't have both
    Even if its not a future Palm product, at least it gets some news and buzz going about Palm that's not about how bad the stock is doing.
    Why would palm go from the gains the made in the treo pro to this? I understand the functionality of the form factor but aesthetically this it is pretty ugly. I hope this is just a very early prototype of a device that will be drastically refined by release. Well at least it has generated some palm buzz. I hope they leak some screen shots of the Nova OS soon.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast