Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    is it possible that the keyboard half is slightly smaller than the screen half & becomes recessed in the back of the screen when rotated closed? that could make it a bit thinner than it looks in the pic. am i being optimistic or wandering into fantasyland?

could be

doesn't look like it just spins on a set point- there's something fancy going on with how it rotates. Might just be eliptical or something but it sure doesn't look like it just spins open like the Roteo talked about earlier.

Along those lines (not looking like the earlier roteo)- I'm pretty disappointed becasue it doesn't look like the keyboard will be exposedall the time.

Major PITA in my opinon to HAVE to slide or spin or whatever to get to the keyboard if you are a heavy email user. I tried a slider (xv6800) for about 6 months after years with treos (600, 650 sprint, 650 vz, 700p) and couldn't take it anymore and had to go back to a goot old front facing keyboard in the centro.
    I, too, looked at the kb and said, "this has to be a Palm!"

What about the screen? It looks to a much better res than current treo/centros. Nice but how easy does it open? I also thought about the new guy at Palm that developed the Sidekick.
    Hey could this be the Nova device?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    It shows some promise. Hopefully Palm lasts long enough for us to find out.
    I'm digging this. I hope that's not just because I think it's from Palm. My first thoughts were similar to the points in the TC article. One handed use looks easy as heck. It seems to have the (screen size) benefits of a slider without their downsides - i.e. it looks like it could be used one-handed.

That's become important to me. Considering the extra space at the bottom, I'm surprised the keyboard isn't bigger.

Anyway, this is a device I'd seriously consider. I just hope it's got Palm's new operating system and not Windows Mobile. I'm still not enthused about doing the WinMo shuffle.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Did anyone else see Iron Man? Does it not look identical to the device Tony Stark carries at the beginning of the movie.

It's ugly.

Who needs yet another device that hides the keyboard. Whether it rotates, slides out, pulls away, opens up, or comes when it's called...most of us die hards like the front facing qwerty keyboard. It's as much a part of the ease of use as the actual operating system.
    If the hand is anything like the size of mine that thing is about 3 cm wider than my Treo 650. Gigantic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Did anyone else see Iron Man? Does it not look identical to the device Tony Stark carries at the beginning of the movie.

It's ugly.

Who needs yet another device that hides the keyboard. Whether it rotates, slides out, pulls away, opens up, or comes when it's called...most of us die hards like the front facing qwerty keyboard. It's as much a part of the ease of use as the actual operating system.
    To me, this kinda qualifies as a front-facing qwerty. If a single button-push gets the screen out of the way, that's close enough for me... unless I go back to using my phone in a case.

Also, big screen & no accidental button-pushing.
    ugh at the fingerprints and is that a crack on the left?

It's ugly.

that's why colligan says there are multiple devices, maybe this will be the centro 2 using nova os, and may be popular with us (guys between 18-25), and there is another handset for people 30+
    It's a bit ugly when it's opened, but I would like to see the screen size of an internet page when it's open.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    ...Who needs yet another device that hides the keyboard. Whether it rotates, slides out, pulls away, opens up, or comes when it's called...most of us die hards like the front facing qwerty keyboard. It's as much a part of the ease of use as the actual operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    To me, this kinda qualifies as a front-facing qwerty. If a single button-push gets the screen out of the way, that's close enough for me... unless I go back to using my phone in a case.

Also, big screen & no accidental button-pushing.
    "kinda" means you never had a slider- right?

having to open the darn thing all day long to actually get at a keyboard is a major PITA for a slider at least. I guess there's a possibility that you can someone hold in it your hand press a magic button and the device takes over to rotate the screen into place so you dont need to move your hand.

I had an xv6800 (aka mogul aka HTC Titan) for ~ 6 months- you can slide that open one handed but still it was so annoying i had to come back to something front facing.

It could be that the annoyance is more because of the need to rotate the screen and use 2 hands to get to either end of the keyboard. It's tough to separate all that out. But I have to say I much preferred the concept posted earlier with the keyboard always availible.

I guess time will tell. IF this thing ever gets made we can see if it's usable or annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I guess there's a possibility that you can someone hold in it your hand press a magic button and the device takes over to rotate the screen into place so you dont need to move your hand.
    Bingo.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Ugly if you ask me. Even if a prototype, why white? Pictures are always leaked, so why not make it look cool. It looks to be sized between a PDA and the 7" netbooks - seriously, what a tank! Either that or (as others have said) the person holding has hands the size of a 10 year old... Another negative for me is the twist display - I don't want to have to push buttons and twist things around to get interactive and then again to close it up.

As much as I want a new POS (or compatible) device, I don't want this one. Well, maybe if it comes with a shoulder strap!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshiki2 View Post
    ... may be popular with us (guys between 18-25), and there is another handset for people 30+
    you guys (under 25) have no money- they need us "old" people as their customers to make some cash.

laughing
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Bingo.
    would be nice- but i wouldnt hold your breath
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I dont think the ugly plastic is that big a deal- nor do i think the end result will be so thick. It looks like a very early prototype maybe just a proof of concept or something.

.... about the size of the hands...
    maybe the person holding it is small?
    Last edited by efudd; 12/08/2008 at 09:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Yep, I figured that might explain the hand size to some extent, but still... I would get someone with freakishly large hands for my "leaked" photos! That will spark much more interest. I suppose a known sized item would always make a good reference. A ruler would do nicely.
    It really does look like a Palm keyboard. I'm super-intrigued by the touchpad. And I'm thinking the two "soft keys" might be the left-click and right-click for the touchpad.

Weird that it's in an article about UMPCs, though. I'd love to think that Palm heard the cries about "leak something already" and did so.
    "Weird that it's in an article about UMPCs"

Why? Maybe its a UMPC and not a phone.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast