Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Personally, I don't think I should have to be more capable than another guy to get what is right--but Palm is not alone in this area.
    More and more it seems with a lot of places, you have to arm wrestle to get service. discouraging.

As for the accent--I think if I am in the US and bought a US product from a US company with a US warranty I should be able to easily understand the person I call using a US phone number for support.
    Good point.
    I never said you shouldn't be able to understand the person. I've talked to many people with accents who speak good English. I'm just saying the tone against accents in this thread seems to be a bit like "if I can tell they aren't one of us, I don't want to talk to them".
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    A few years ago I had to call CS. It was maddening because I could not understand the CS person and gave up in frustration. This is something that Palm should not force on its customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I never said you shouldn't be able to understand the person. I've talked to many people with accents who speak good English. I'm just saying the tone against accents in this thread seems to be a bit like "if I can tell they aren't one of us, I don't want to talk to them".
    If this is the case then I completely agree with you but I interpreted differently than you is all and felt it had more to deal with the ability to understand someone--whatever the accent.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    As for the accent--I think if I am in the US and bought a US product from a US company with a US warranty I should be able to easily understand the person I call using a US phone number for support.
    Heck, I've talked with people in the US who I've had trouble understanding.

Ever talked with someone who has lived a long time down in say Louisiana? I swear they have their own language.

Heck, even some of the folks from the North East (like New Jersey) can be difficult to understand. When I worked in a call center I occasionally got folks who told me that they were having a hard time understanding me, and Oregon is about as accent neutral as you get for the US.

Even calling a US number doesn't guarantee that you'll easily understand who you're talking to.
    I honestly don't think it's the accent I've always been able to understand them and for a while when I worked at Apple and we'd do consults with the techs we had in Bangalore you would get all sorts (I do believe that the "Indian" accent is the most common English accent in the world). I had a laugh at one who had chosen "Billy Bob" for his "American" name. Shame Americans are so intolerant they were told they HAD to chose an American name.

I think the problem with the service there is that frequently they are working off scripts and don't even have access to anything other than pictures of the product they were supporting. If Palm outsourced their customer service to a call center they should take the time to make sure the folks that call center hires to work with them get well trained and are empowered to make decisions.

I think it's likely treopq's problem is his return issue is "off script".
    Quote Originally Posted by RAReed0219 View Post
    I had a laugh at one who had chosen "Billy Bob" for his "American" name. Shame Americans are so intolerant they were told they HAD to chose an American name.
    Heh, I tease my mom because she was trying to fix a printer problem on her HP, and got "Mike" from "Detroit". Now I always tell her to ask for her good buddy "Mike" from "Detroit" whenever she has a problem.

I wonder how many people honestly believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by RAReed0219 View Post
    I think it's likely treopq's problem is his return issue is "off script".
    Having worked in several call centers, I'd say your right.

Unfortunately I don't believe US based call centers are any better at going off script (at least not at the line grunt level).
    There was a thing on 60mins about that.
    Just call me Berd.
    Speaking of call center, I recently had a problem with Verizon services, and all my calls (tech support, 2nd level tech support billing (for credits)) routed to India. THEY DO read from scripts no matter what. It was to the point of almost "comical" Not only they read off the scripts, but also they would insist (very politely) to go thru the SOPs (standard operating procedures) even though I already informed them the info and issues. After four (4) days of going no where in the "loop", finally I was upset enough to escalate (four layers up) to speak with an American

THANK GOD there is one American still has a job and answering calls. Surly enough, the issue was resolved.

Looking back, Verizon's tech support center in India did NOT fully understand my issue, and was on the wrong track... However, it was in Indian's culture, not to show what you did not understand... Sad but true...

Lesson learned:
    When you feel that you are in a loop, escalate, escalate and escalate until you speak with an American. But, do so in a very polite manner please. These are nice people there and trying their best to serve the Americans. However, due to language, culture and experiences etc, the services provided were sub-standard - as the best way I know how to put it.
  10. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Sorry, slightly OT:

I seem to have a much worse problem with AT&T/Cingular than I ever do or did with Verizon & T-Mobile.

As recent as yesterday, I spent 45+ mins on the phone trying to straighten out my international data roaming package charges.

Where is AT&T's call center located?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    Speaking of call center, I recently had a problem with Verizon services, and all my calls (tech support, 2nd level tech support billing (for credits)) routed to India. THEY DO read from scripts no matter what. It was to the point of almost "comical" Not only they read off the scripts, but also they would insist (very politely) to go thru the SOPs (standard operating procedures) even though I already informed them the info and issues. After four (4) days of going no where in the "loop", finally I was upset enough to escalate (four layers up) to speak with an American

THANK GOD there is one American still has a job and answering calls. Surly enough, the issue was resolved.

Looking back, Verizon's tech support center in India did NOT fully understand my issue, and was on the wrong track... However, it was in Indian's culture, not to show what you did not understand... Sad but true...

Lesson learned:
    When you feel that you are in a loop, escalate, escalate and escalate until you speak with an American. But, do so in a very polite manner please. These are nice people there and trying their best to serve the Americans. However, due to language, culture and experiences etc, the services provided were sub-standard - as the best way I know how to put it.
    I'm glad eventually you found one American at level 4... this country has been too nice to those people... they took over our jobs, drained our resources and now blame it's our fault because we don't understand their perfect accent...
    THEY didn't do that, OUR OWN AMERICAN COMPANIES DID THAT TO US. If you're going to blame someone, look at home.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Sorry, slightly OT:

I seem to have a much worse problem with AT&T/Cingular than I ever do or did with Verizon & T-Mobile.

As recent as yesterday, I spent 45+ mins on the phone trying to straighten out my international data roaming package charges.

Where is AT&T's call center located?
    I've spoken to American AT&T reps many times. Tech support was clueless, SEVERAL TIMES. AT&T landline reps keep trying to sell me new services when I call and they are AMERICAN. Regardless of where anyone is from, if they don't get proper training or read off company scripts, you'll have a problem, no matter what!

14. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    THEY didn't do that, OUR OWN AMERICAN COMPANIES DID THAT TO US. If you're going to blame someone, look at home.
    Very well said.

Thank you
  15. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I've spoken to American AT&T reps many times. Tech support was clueless, SEVERAL TIMES. AT&T landline reps keep trying to sell me new services when I call and they are AMERICAN. Regardless of where anyone is from, if they don't get proper training or read off company scripts, you'll have a problem, no matter what!
    I thought they sounded "American". You are absolutely correct it is the training or lack there of provided by corporate America & not where they are.

Thanks again
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by publicid View Post
    Looking back, Verizon's tech support center in India did NOT fully understand my issue, and was on the wrong track... However, it was in Indian's culture, not to show what you did not understand... Sad but true...[/B]
    i use verizon and i talked to an AMERICAN and i would say the worst cs experience i ever had in my life. i was charged for some phone calls and ultimately csr accepted that it is verizon's mistake and then i asked to talk to her supervisor and after a while they suddenly started blaming me and charged me half the amount and if i don't agree then would add full amount to my bil when they found out that i m still in contract!!...it is in American's culture not to accept defeat (mistake) even when they know they are worng...sad but true...
    Actually I think it's just corporations trying to milk the consumer for every penny. They don't admit they're wrong because then they'd have to offer refunds. Or perhaps a recall if it's a product that went bad. You see this time and time again.

<sarcasm mode> ON

Everybody should be Americans!

And if they aren't, they should want to be!

<sarcasm mode> OFF

And this is in the Pro Forum, Because???
    Just call me Berd.
    ...clip... I think the use of "American" in this post is not meant to imply that non-American is sub-standard..clip....

Think Again:

Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    ...clip... this country has been too nice to those people... they took over our jobs, drained our resources and now blame it's our fault because we don't understand their perfect accent...
    Just call me Berd.
    Why this WAS in the Pro forum:
    The OP is still angry about the Pro cracks and not getting anywhere with Palm, I'm going to assume. I would be too.

BUT the fault is NOT with Indian CS, but with PALM. Who gave the Indian CS workers the scripts to use? And likely didn't train them? In either American English OR in giving true support? You can't fault people for doing what was requested BY THEIR BOSS!! Much misplaced anger toward foreigners when the real problem is the US COMPANIES who outsourced the work in the first place!! At least Dell customers had sense enough to blame Dell instead of the CS people themselves. I read Dell got the message and went back to US support(can't confirm though). Although that doesn't mean American support is any better, just that you can understand them. Support all over is going downhill IMO.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/07/2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: LOL! The thread got moved!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast