Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Straight from ELevation Partner's Co-Founder Roger McNanmee:

Quote:

“Elevation Partners is very pleased with the progress Ed Colligan, Jon Rubinstein and the entire Palm team are making. The Company’s product pipeline, including a next generation operating system due out soon and a new device targeted for the first half of 2009, excite us enormously. Elevation supports Palm in taking the difficult but necessary steps required to migrate from legacy products. We have a very long-term investment horizon and have no plans to exit our investment in Palm.”

This is in response to an earlier blog post by an analyst that Elevation may be looking to unload their shares.

Taken from this article on Barron's Investment Site:
    http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...d=yahoobarrons

This makes me feel better... "very pleased", "excite us enormously" "due out soon", few words but still somewhat reassuring.
    If it's "due out soon", give us something! Anything!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Hoping these are not what you call those false reassurances.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Its good they at least responded to these stories that they were planning on pulling out.
    I'll believe it when I see it. It's a perspective you become conditioned with given the history of this company.
    Last edited by treobk214; 11/25/2008 at 06:33 PM.
    We need more Nova hype!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    We need more Nova hype!!
    Will Nova really help Palm? With their current economic situation and the astronomical expectations on Nova being greater (not equal) than the iPhone and Android OS, do they stand a chance?

One more problem that Palm is facing is the enormous expectation from everyone. Do they really have what it takes to stay alive?

I think the only option from Palm right now is to be purchased by a larger (and stable) company. If they don't, they'll probably close shop.

Only time will tell...
    Elevation and pdxtreo are sticking with Palm!
    Palm have the whiff of Commodore about them. Not so much "if" more "when" they go bust.
    NOVA is 3 years too late. I have been a Palm user for a long time now, see the sig. My wife has a Centro, but misses and may go back to her SLVR. I have tried many windows based and iphone based phones, and am still looking for the right device... Fuze is next, haven't done the slide out keyboard yet.

I am afraid Palm may have missed the boat and become irrelavent. I hope I am wrong, but I think they missed the chance to be THE smartphone of the 21st century, and maybe even missed the chance to survive.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    I have had a palm since the palm pilot days.

I am not sure what was meant by " Elevation supports Palm in taking the difficult but necessary steps required to migrate from legacy products. " Does that mean our data will not work on their new OS?

I am ready to move on to a BB perhaps, but am worried about all of my data will not transfer. I have unfortunately entered data in the wrong places (ie. I put my visa card number as a phone number or company name, etc). Any thoughts on this? Anyone have issues with converting to a BB? I was thinking of trying the Storm.

So I have been waiting for something new from Palm. I was hoping they would release the Pro as a palm OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Will Nova really help Palm?

Only way I see it helping them is if there is a big advertising campaign ala iphone or BB Storm. Leading to people standing in line waiting to get there hands on these "New nova devices"

Anything short of that and I dont expect anything good happening with Palm.

I mean lets face it. They already said windows was going to be the business line. (which I think most of their business comes from)
    The old palm OS would be entry level smartphones ala Centro. (cant really see a Centro 2 coming though) The new Nova OS (prosumer) was going to make up the rest. I think this would be the smallest segment of devices, and produce the least amount of revenue. The only people that will really want this is the Palm fans (I'm still one )

So basicly if this nova os isnt hyped to hell like the iphone or storm...........................................well lets just wait and see shall we.
    "(cant really see a Centro 2 coming though)"

I think there's an outside chance that they might update the Centro. Don't they still have the Palm OS license for a few years. But they would need to somehow make more money selling them as compared to the first ones.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I am not sure what was meant by " Elevation supports Palm in taking the difficult but necessary steps required to migrate from legacy products. " Does that mean our data will not work on their new OS?
    That's a question that crossed my mind as well. Maybe that's why they needed the perpetual license to the Garnet code so that they could incorporate it into the OS and we can still retain our data. I would LOVE to have that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    Palm's stated intention is to have an emulation layer capable of running existing PalmOS programs

"Palm's goal in combining Garnet and Linux will allow devices to run current Palm OS applications, but also offer features not available on this company's current Garnet-based devices, like much more robust multitasking, including the ability to make voice and data calls at the same time."

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12954
    Elevation Partners' decision to invest in Palm and stay with Palm seems to suggest that palm has something good in the pipeline. You just don't throw 300 plus million at something you think is going to go bust.

That being said, I have been with my 750 for two years now; Hell, six more months isn't going to kill me. If nova doesn't meet with my expectations I am sure a lot of people like me, who have been holding out, will just go ahead and make the move to the iphone or whatever smartphone meets my needs. I also have to say, as sick as I am of waiting, I would rather see palm take these few months to get nova and their new software offerings right, then release it now and it goes bust.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    "(cant really see a Centro 2 coming though)"

I think there's an outside chance that they might update the Centro. Don't they still have the Palm OS license for a few years. But they would need to somehow make more money selling them as compared to the first ones.
    They bought the source code for the Garnet OS since Access wasn't going to do anything with it directly (indirectly they have created the VM for the Nokia tablets and their new ALPs OS). The Centro 2 Will come out, and it'll run the Palm OS we all know and love/hate. For the price point they sell the Centro at and the features it has the Palm OS is a very good fit.

Now the Treo 800p or the 850p, whatever the next one is, needs to be running Nova. And it's clear that it will seeing how the last Palm OS Treo to be released was the 755p nearly 18 months ago.

I'm very happy to hear from Elevation Partners and this one hole that is now plugged with Bono's finger on the Sinking ship that is Palm. Let's hope they get a new boat soon!
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Maybe,however Palm does'nt have a good track record.Their way of taking care of it's customers is to contiue putting out new devices without fixing the problems on past devices.I feel like a "beta tester" rather than paying customer.They absolutly knew many issues the past Treo's had prior to release and many still have'nt been resolved.even after 3 yr's..my next pda will be an HTC Touch Pro or Diamond.If it were'nt for great people/a bunch of knowlegable folks on here Palm could'nt have made it this long.Forgive me Palm fan's but I just said it the way I feel..
    Last edited by indyalex; 11/27/2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add info.
    translation: "we are going to dump Palm as soon as we can"
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    Elevation Partners' decision to invest in Palm and stay with Palm seems to suggest that palm has something good in the pipeline. You just don't throw 300 plus million at something you think is going to go bust.

That being said, I have been with my 750 for two years now; Hell, six more months isn't going to kill me. If nova doesn't meet with my expectations I am sure a lot of people like me, who have been holding out, will just go ahead and make the move to the iphone or whatever smartphone meets my needs. I also have to say, as sick as I am of waiting, I would rather see palm take these few months to get nova and their new software offerings right, then release it now and it goes bust.
    I agree... after being on the cutting edge for so many years, I'm watching all my friends and colleagues get sexy new smartphones. But... another six months I can wait - especially since I figured migrating to a new platform will cost me around $250 just in new software (assuming Blackberry migration) plus accessories, plus all the time and energy involved to do it.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast