Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree... after being on the cutting edge for so many years, I'm watching all my friends and colleagues get sexy new smartphones. But... another six months I can wait - especially since I figured migrating to a new platform will cost me around $250 just in new software (assuming Blackberry migration) plus accessories, plus all the time and energy involved to do it.
    The real issue is whether or not Palm can wait six months, not users. Right now the company is worth over 25% less than Elevation's 25% investment 14 months ago. The recent layoffs will slow their rate of expenditures, but it will also slow their rate of product development. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Nova can't meet the unrealistic expectations heaped on it, barring some unforseen innovation lacking on other platforms; it's just an operating system.

By EOL'ing all Garnet Treos, Palm have relegated themselves to the highly competitive device space of Windows Mobile, and the low-margin Centro line whose initially high sales are now in decline. They've effectively cut of the branch they were perched on. The 680 and 755p were lackluster stopgaps, but at least they had the benefit of reminding the public the Palm was still a presence, and steadied their decline in revenues. Now, they don't have a single cash cow device to milk. The Treo Pro has no announced carrier support, despite the safe bet from circumstantial evidence that it will at least wind up on Sprint.

My own dilemma is to wait for the Sprint Treo Pro rumored for January or to get a Touch Diamond now. The big unknown is whether or not the carrier branded Treo Pro will have value-adds similar to the 800w. The prevailing opinion is that it won't, but we already know it has PIE 6, which is lacking on the unbranded version. I think both Sprint and Palm have too much riding on the Treo Pro not to optimize it -- hopefully with hardware acceleration, TouchFlo and Opera Mobile -- but I realize that might be wishful thinking.

If it turns out not to have any enhancement, I'll probably go for the Touch. The VGA and Opera Mobile on the Diamond alone almost make it worth forgoing the Treo's 3.5" audio jack and keyboard.

Palm really needs to make some product announcement (if not a release) by the end of December if they want to retain potential customers. They simply don't have the cash to burn otherwise.
  2. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm too lazy to look at their balance sheet and see where they really are, but I think they're probably threading the only path they have left pretty well. The product branches they're cutting are 1) largely dead anyway 2) a cost if they continue to offer.
    I've probably read and forgotten already how open their development platform is or isn't. But if they allow it to be an open system for development, the Linux community will take care of the rest. If one don't understand the development of Linux, then you really can't understand how many people already know how to develop code in this environment already. Sure, there's some differences, but they're largely self-learners anyway. This will help ALL Linux platforms.

I agree they've lost on timing, they don't have the opportunity to become the "it" device with the I and G out, but they could do something fairly powerful and still do well with the right device and carrier partners, AND gain some advantage of apps on those devices getting quickly ported in a critical mass fashion. As far as their value or somebody buying them, even the cream of the crop stocks are off 35-40% from 6 months ago, and I don't see too much buying of companies until the market finds the bottom, which appears to be about the same timing as Nova's release. If they have enough cash to get there, probably OK, if not, they'll implode.

I'd do the G phone, but T-mobile is the only carrier my company doesn't have a discount with AND won't allow me to expense part of my cost. Iphone isn't even truly pro-sumer yet in my eyes (no cut/paste, no sync to my work email = FAIL), but may be by the time Nova is released.
    ADS
    if they are not leaving, they are sinking with Palm!!!!
    I doubt very seriously if Elevation Partners is going to let Palm sink them. I am not a business expert, but I'm sure they would sell palm, even at a loss, before they would let that happen.

Now the thing I can't understand is how palm's ceo has manged to not get the canned after all these years of bungling. I just read an article this morning were back in 06 he laughed off the notion that apple could come out the gate and dominate the smartphone market.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I just read an article this morning were back in 06 he laughed off the notion that apple could come out the gate and dominate the smartphone market.
    http://www.macdailynews.com/index.ph...omments/11695/

Colligan laughed off the idea that any company -- including the wildly popular Apple Computer -- could easily win customers in the finicky smart-phone sector. 'We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,' he said. 'PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.'"
    Eat your words, Ed
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Given Ed's inability to foresee what is happening. His feeling that it's been a "struggle", while Apple just walked in as a bunch of "PC guys" and figured it out. Who in their RIGHT MIND would think Ed knows how to lead Palm out of their current crisis?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Given Ed's inability to foresee what is happening. His feeling that it's been a "struggle", while Apple just walked in as a bunch of "PC guys" and figured it out. Who in their RIGHT MIND would think Ed knows how to lead Palm out of their current crisis?
    Me... if the crisis was a wet paper bag.

I'm 100% sure he could do it!!!

Ed is a tard... we all know management has killed palm. That is why I'd like to see palm finally fold and dump the managers... file chap 7 or something... come back with new management and a new vision.

Elevation says what they need to say to keep stockholders happy. Face it... you can't trust what they say.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    We are all frustrated, but there is hope, really there is hope. Don't forget the work Rubinstein is doing at Palm. Plus i have heard some new rumors about Nova and the word is that it is look really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    We are all frustrated, but there is hope, really there is hope. Don't forget the work Rubinstein is doing at Palm. Plus i have heard some new rumors about Nova and the word is that it is look really good.
    No disrespect, and no war...

BUT

Palm's new OS has to be G R E A T... not just good.

I'm not sure what they can do with considering how far google was able to push it.

Will be interesting to see... but I'm not convinced that a super OS will help them gain traction in a market where blackberry is king in corp, iphone is killing the consumer market, and winmob is in both.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point... I've moved on and upwards. I stick around here to hear the last gulps of air of a dying company... and their last remaining faithful.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    No disrespect, and no war...

I'm beyond frustrated at this point... I've moved on and upwards.
    Na, no one is more frustrated as me, but if the rumors are true, which i think they are, based on the site i heard this one, it will really be fantastic. And the reality is this, there is really nothing upwards in the market. I have used the iPhone for a year now and for me it sucks except for doing multimedia. Blackberrys are really not that spectacular, the new Storm and its touch click thingy is totally crap. Windows Mobile is pretty much average. So really the ultimate smartphone has yet to be built. I am really hoping Palm can come through.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    Na, no one is more frustrated as me, but if the rumors are true, which i think they are, based on the site i heard this one, it will really be fantastic. And the reality is this, there is really nothing upwards in the market. I have used the iPhone for a year now and for me it sucks except for doing multimedia. Blackberrys are really not that spectacular, the new Storm and its touch click thingy is totally crap. Windows Mobile is pretty much average. So really the ultimate smartphone has yet to be built. I am really hoping Palm can come through.
    Actually, winmob is great... better than "average." But I guess that depends on what you (or I) need.

I used the iphone couple days ago... and over the summer, not sure what the hype is... blackberry is not good for my business needs (funny enough). I only know one company that went to iphones for business needs, and the staff does not like it. The iphone move was a "pet project" of the "big boss." We all know how those often turn out...

Anyway, I joke about palm... I hope they do well, seriously. If they do well, then consumers do well. If Palm's management messes up nova, then they should go.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I don't understand why it is so hard to add multitasking to the Palm OS. I think there are bunches of folks like me who would be happy to have the Treo form factor with the same old Palm OS, but with the multiple radio functionality of the Treo Pro. It seems like the time from the introduction of the 600 until now should have been adequate to get to this done... Perhaps it got lost in the Access event.... I don't really want to get a Pro and use an emulator.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Palm's new OS has to be G R E A T... not just good.
    Actually, Palm's marketing has to be GREAT, more so than it's operating system. Why do you think the iphone sold so many units the day it came out at $499 each?

Anyway, here's an article from CNN Money that I don't think has been posted yet here about Palm:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...1_FORTUNE5.htm
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    I don't understand why it is so hard to add multitasking to the Palm OS. .....
    The Palm assesment obviously is that it is too hard. Hence the move to Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The Palm assesment obviously is that it is too hard. Hence the move to Linux.
    The third-party kernel PalmOS uses actually has multitasking ability, however Palm don't have a suitable licence so it is disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Actually, Palm's marketing has to be GREAT, more so than it's operating system. Why do you think the iphone sold so many units the day it came out at $499 each?

Anyway, here's an article from CNN Money that I don't think has been posted yet here about Palm:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...1_FORTUNE5.htm
    Is that a real question???

I don't care for the iphone, but face it, it is an extraordinary device. My hat goes off to Apple and S. Jobs. If you don't understand "why" it is $499, then I think we can talk about how "crap" the iphone is... even if it is not. lol

Apple knocked it out the part with the iphone. Period. I'll never own an iphone, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend the device is not worth all the attention. I'll keep my windows mobile OS and be happy.

And marketing did play a big part in the iphone's success... but marketing only takes you so far... iphone has went further than that!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post
    The third-party kernel PalmOS uses actually has multitasking ability, however Palm don't have a suitable licence so it is disabled.
    I'd be interested to read more about that if you have a reference?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I'd be interested to read more about that if you have a reference?
    Wikipedia on PalmOS & search google on Kadak RTOS.
    I agree the marketing has to be great. I've played with the iPhone and with the WM offerings, and the bottom line is, neither platform is as good as Palm is for PDA functionality. They are great gadget phones with innovative features, but they aren't nearly as good at being PDAs.

THIS, IMO, is where Palm needs to stay focused on with the new OS. If the superior PDA experience remains while bringing all the gadget features along for the ride, rather than trying to beat the other two at being great gadget OSs that also can do some PDA stuff, then all that will be required is an effective marketing campaign.

I do not, however, have faith in Palm's corporate leadership to implement an effective marketing campaign. I also fear they are more likely to do something foolish like try to make a better windows mobile or better iPhone, rather than leveraging their superiority in personal digital assistance and improving on that. I hope I'm forced to eat those words.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12