Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Access Linux, Android Linux, Palm Linux

Why is there the need to have 3 competing Mobile Linux OSís? Are they all that much different to one another?

If not, why not go with one flavor of Mobile Linux and get the phones (notice plural) out to the people now?

This trio of Linux Mobile developments seems like a huge waste of talent and money. I bet some execs at Palm are finally realizing this.

CVB
    Don't forget: Iphone is Linux, too.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Isnít it a stretch to call the iPhone (based on Mach) = Linux?

CVB
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Don't fret too much over it. Not much time & $ have been spent over at Palm on Nova, as (IMHO) they gave up on it ever seeing the light of day quite a long time ago. Elevation Partners are just gonna try to keep Palm afloat while shopping them to the highest bidder in '09.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Elevation Partners are just gonna try to keep Palm afloat while shopping them to the highest bidder in '09.
    If you are correct, and Elevation is planning on selling the company why not just do it now? Do you think they are trying to wait until the economy is better or something? Or do you think the want to squeak out this one last crappy device to make some cash before they sell?

Also, have you guys seen the reviews for the BB Storm? I sure hope Palm is taking notes. I am going to be so pissed if I end up waiting until 2009 and the new Nova device not only lack a keyboard but has even half the bugs Storm has. Oh yeah, and it had better have WIFI too!
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    If you are correct, and Elevation is planning on selling the company why not just do it now? Do you think they are trying to wait until the economy is better or something? Or do you think the want to squeak out this one last crappy device to make some cash before they sell?

Also, have you guys seen the reviews for the BB Storm? I sure hope Palm is taking notes. I am going to be so pissed if I end up waiting until 2009 and the new Nova device not only lack a keyboard but has even half the bugs Storm has. Oh yeah, and it had better have WIFI too!
    If they sell the company now, I don't think they'll make much money out of it. I think EP is just waiting for the right time to sell the company with a good profit. Selling it now is just like throwing half of their $325M investment away.

I think they will try to sell the company next year once Nova is finished, or at least there's a product to back it up. Remember what happened to Handspring after launching the Treo 600? They immediately let themselves be sold themselves to PalmOne. So this theory is still plausible.
    See, I'd actually say, if the companies could talk/collaborate a little and end up much better for end users. Each could put their own special sauce into the user interface and experience, but keep a consistent core which would allow applications to be written that work on all iterations. The Linux Mobile Foundation is attempting to do this, and if Palm is basing their OS off Wind River Linux, Nova should line up with LiMo's standards. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Android is LiMo compliant, but Access's version should be.

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by cvbcvb View Post

Why is there the need to have 3 competing Mobile Linux OS’s? Are they all that much different to one another?

If not, why not go with one flavor of Mobile Linux and get the phones (notice plural) out to the people now?

This trio of Linux Mobile developments seems like a huge waste of talent and money. I bet some execs at Palm are finally realizing this.

CVB
    Why are there a bazillion Linux distributions on the desktop? Maybe not all of them are hugely different but they do tend to fall into various niches and serve different purposes for their users. You have more consumer oriented distros like PC LinuxOS, enterprise oriented distros like Fedora or Suse, distros aimed at older hardware like DSL and Puppy Linux, and distros like Ubuntu which try to be alternatives to mainstream OSes. The mobile Linux OSes are likely to fall into separate niches as well. We already know what niche Android falls into, the highly connected, web oriented user who lives their life with Google apps. The T-Mobile G1 may not be the best phone in the world but it's second to none as a web-oriented communications device which also provides phone service. What niche ALP and Nova fall into remains to be seen. Hopefully at least on them will be a decent phone OS.
    Last edited by DarthRepublican; 11/29/2008 at 09:02 PM.
    Isnít it a stretch to call the iPhone (based on Mach) = Linux?

CVB
    It isn't even a stretch. The Mach kernel and BSD which form the basis of OSX and the iPhone OS predate Linux by at least a decade.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    It isn't even a stretch. The Mach kernel and BSD which form the basis of OSX and the iPhone OS predate Linux by at least a decade.
    The iPhone runs a pared down version of OS X, not Linux, anyway.

Although, someone DID get the 2.6 linux kernel ported to and booting on an iPhone. Can't do anything useful with it yet, but it's a step forward.

The reason why we've seen more than one mobile linux is more politics and each entity wanting to control EVERYTHING. Every company wants to do things their way and they want to do something to set themselves apart from everyone else so it makes people want to buy THEIR phones. Hard to do that on a common platform Personally I think android is a promising platform and Palm was kinda dumb not to sign on with everyone else.
    I'm waiting for the G2. My 680 is slowly falling apart and then I'll move on.

Why is there the need to have 3 competing Mobile Linux OSís? Are they all that much different to one another?
    You forgot Limo ( http://www.limofoundation.org ), and also Motorola has its own Linux for phones that its been using, though they recently seem to have decided to jump on Limo for the same reason that you're citing (too much duplication of effort). I think there's also a Linux for phones from China as well...

yes, much duplication of effort and *fragmentation*, reminiscent of Linux on the desktop and the old Unix wars of the last century (which in many people's opinion, is what killed Unix and allowed the inferior Microsoft products to take over...)

I will be totally surprised if Nova succeeds...