Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ... for my business, that is. I have an opportunity to look at smartphones for a few dozen physicians in my organization. Timeline requires that I have a plan by early Spring '09. I'd love to go with Palm. But how can I? The March '09 release of the Palm Nova smartphones seem very far away and very speculative. The iPhone beckons. Lots of folks want one. Palm still has many loyal medical users, but I don't see how the loyal users can keep waiting and waiting and waiting...
    -- Josh
    Palm's own folks have said early 09' for the OS and late 09' for a real device. That would be one thing, but my question is this.

What on earth is Palm going to sell to survive until LATE 2009? The rainbow only has a few more colors and the Centro is being given away w/ contract now. The Treo looks like some kind of albatross strapped to a phone display next to the other 14 gorgeous smartphones on display. The PDAs have been abandoned by their own parents. Time to bring out the Foleo I guess.

They are in a heap of warm seething poo poo it appears to me. Surely, they are shopping the remnants of this company at a feverish pace at this point. A buyout looks about as compelling as the US governments assumption of bad debts.
    Patrick Horne
    A Foleo II would be neat. Something like the Celio Redfly but more powerful and able to work cross mobile platform.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Palm's own folks have said early 09' for the OS and late 09' for a real device.
    My goodness, really? Late '09? Can someone supply quotes on this?
    -- Josh
  5.    #5  
    I just rechecked the iPhone/iPod App Store. At its launch, it had basically no software for physicians. At 3 months in, they'd made impressive gains to having about 1/3rd of what the entire Palm platform had to offer after well over a decade of headstart.

However, I just rechecked right now. Virtually nothing significant has been added, no progress made on iPhone.

Thus Palm still is a far better medical PDA than iPhone. For now...
    -- Josh
    Most iPhone apps are useful for play, general public usage, or just half way useful, I've noticed. But did you really expect serious apps for a phone marketed mostly to the mainstream? They may have said "business and doctors", BUT what does the actual proof show?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    I just rechecked the iPhone/iPod App Store. At its launch, it had basically no software for physicians. At 3 months in, they'd made impressive gains to having about 1/3rd of what the entire Palm platform had to offer after well over a decade of headstart.

However, I just rechecked right now. Virtually nothing significant has been added, no progress made on iPhone.

Thus Palm still is a far better medical PDA than iPhone. For now...
    -- Josh
    There's a fair bit of native iPhone medical apps - but the main pity is that they don't allow Styletap on the iPhone. Once they do, that'll open the floodgates for legacy Palm medical apps on the iPhone!
    I've a thread here on iPhone medical apps updates
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    There's a fair bit of native iPhone medical apps - but the main pity is that they don't allow Styletap on the iPhone. Once they do, that'll open the floodgates for legacy Palm medical apps on the iPhone!
    I've a thread here on iPhone medical apps updates
    Yes, BUT - that crappy software keyboard on the iPhone kills it for me. Apple did a lot of good designing with that thing, but a low-capacity non-replaceable battery and poorly designed non-intuitive software keyboard are 2 albatrosses that make it useless for more than a plaything for me.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    How likely would it be that Apple allows another OS(and a near dying one at that) emulator on it's devices? I think NOT VERY.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Most iPhone apps are useful for play, general public usage, or just half way useful, I've noticed. But did you really expect serious apps for a phone marketed mostly to the mainstream? They may have said "business and doctors", BUT what does the actual proof show?

Well, the same could be said of the Palm platform, you know. Go to www.freewarepalm.com to see endless offerings of fluff, intermixed with valuable utilities, medical, business, gaming, and other software. I am surprised that the iPhone App store doesn't have more medical apps by now. They made great progress in the first few months, but not much more since.

I wonder if the fragmentation of device OS'es has made it more difficult for software developers. 5-10 years ago, if you wanted to make software that you could sell to professionals like doctors or engineers, you wrote it for Palm. Then within a few years your choices were not much broader writing for Palm vs. PocketPC, or both. But now one has to decide between Palm, PocketPC, Symbian, Android, iPhone, and Blackberry.

-- Josh
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Yes, BUT - that crappy software keyboard on the iPhone kills it for me. Apple did a lot of good designing with that thing, but a low-capacity non-replaceable battery and poorly designed non-intuitive software keyboard are 2 albatrosses that make it useless for more than a plaything for me.

Low capacity battery? What are you talking about? People get good battery life from their iPhones -- a far cry from the absolutely unacceptable crappy battery life I get from my Treo 680. Wish I could have the stability (relative) of my 680 combined with the battery life of the 650.
    -- Josh
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How likely would it be that Apple allows another OS(and a near dying one at that) emulator on it's devices? I think NOT VERY.
    I am very surprised that Apple has not allowed the StyleTap Palm emulator to work on iPhone. They would instantly accomplish two goals, namely (1) instantly broaden the software offerings on their iPhone device dramatically, and (2) pull lots more customers from Palm and put the final nail in the Palm coffin. Instead Apple has refused to allow StyleTap's Palm emulator, which means that those of us who might want to jump to iPhone have to wait for our favorite Palm OS apps to be written brand new for iPhone. And like I said, so far not nearly enough medical software has been written. (if I knew how to program in C++ or whatever the core of iPhone programming is, I'd work on programming some myself! but, alas, I don't, and I'm busy enough as a doctor not to have time to go learn how to be a programmer; one overwhelming job is enough for me on my plate right now, thank you!)
    -- Josh
    Well, the same could be said of the Palm platform, you know. Go to www.freewarepalm.com to see endless offerings of fluff, intermixed with valuable utilities, medical, business, gaming, and other software. I am surprised that the iPhone App store doesn't have more medical apps by now. They made great progress in the first few months, but not much more since.
    -- Josh
    I still have an iPhone and look into the store periodically from both within iTunes and through the phone. Honestly the apps they present as the hot new ones, and the ones plugged all over by bloggers are NOT business or medical oriented. It's far too easy to see where they place their value. WITH MAINSTREAM CUSTOMERS.

Low capacity battery? What are you talking about? People get good battery life from their iPhones -- a far cry from the absolutely unacceptable crappy battery life I get from my Treo 680. Wish I could have the stability (relative) of my 680 combined with the battery life of the 650.
    -- Josh
    That changes once you start surfing or playing games. I haven't checked it lately for drainage on video usage, but I'm going to bet it takes a hit there too.

I am very surprised that Apple has not allowed the StyleTap Palm emulator to work on iPhone. They would instantly accomplish two goals, namely (1) instantly broaden the software offerings on their iPhone device dramatically, and (2) pull lots more customers from Palm and put the final nail in the Palm coffin. Instead Apple has refused to allow StyleTap's Palm emulator, which means that those of us who might want to jump to iPhone have to wait for our favorite Palm OS apps to be written brand new for iPhone. And like I said, so far not nearly enough medical software has been written. (if I knew how to program in C++ or whatever the core of iPhone programming is, I'd work on programming some myself! but, alas, I don't, and I'm busy enough as a doctor not to have time to go learn how to be a programmer; one overwhelming job is enough for me on my plate right now, thank you!)
    -- Josh

Why is that surprising? It's "keep it all in-house and no outsiders" Apple! To allow Palm OS to run is taking away from the Mobile OS X. You should know they will not allow that.

From now until late 2009, all palm will do is release the treo pro for sprint and verizon. I don't think anything else is planned. Its pretty sad.

I'm ready for something else as well as my 755 keyboard is beginning to crap out.
    -- Josh
    How old is that battery? may want to spend $15 to get a new one if it is over a year old. heck you have a bigger battery then my 755p

Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  18.    #18  
    My original post title was "Palm is running out of time". Hope very much that the Jan 8, 2009, announcement will deliver new Palm OS offerings. I want very much to keep my PDA usage with Palm, and I will be directing the use of several dozen physician colleagues, maybe a whole healthcare organization eventually. But can't wait forever. Counting the days until Jan 8.
    -- (Dr.) Josh
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why are we assuming that nova os will be backwards compatible with POS?

Have palm said anything to that effect or is it wishful thinking on our part?

Hope very much that the Jan 8, 2009, announcement will deliver new Palm OS offerings.
    New POS devices? I doubt it.
    Now that we are officially into Silly Season, is it time to play guess the release date of the new Palm 2.0 phone?
    "To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."
    ~Michael Jordan

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    ~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast