Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Oct 2009 - pushed back to 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why are we assuming that nova os will be backwards compatible with POS?

Have palm said anything to that effect or is it wishful thinking on our part?
    Yes they have! It was straight from the horse's mouth. (Mr Ed)
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I think you mean straight from the horse's "azz". (Mr Ed.)
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I donít remember reading anything about Nova being backwards compatible
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    I don’t remember reading anything about Nova being backwards compatible
    I can find remarks that they will keep churning out low-end devices with POS on then for kids but nothing about backwards comptability.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I can find remarks that they will keep churning out low-end devices with POS on then for kids but nothing about backwards comptability.

If the new Palm OS Nova is not backwards compatible, then what's the point? Palm has only two ways to make the new Palm OS attractive:

(1) make it an attractive handheld device computing experience in and of itself, and
    (2) start out with an instant library of thousands of 3rd party apps.

Without backwards compatibility, they'd start out with essentially zero 3rd party apps, and they'd be no different and certainly no better than all the other recent additions to PDA & phone OS platform offerings, like Blackberry OS, Symbian OS, Android OS, iPhone OS. And without the massive advertising power and media presence of Blackberry, Apple, and Google behind them, Palm will need every other advantage they can get.

No backwards compatible and I'm gone, that's for sure...
    -- Josh
    Last edited by steinbej; 12/20/2008 at 03:14 PM.
    I'm not a software developer, FAR from it. But is it even possible to write a new OS FROM SCRATCH and still have it be backwards compatible? I'm going to bet some apps simply will not be compatible, just as when desktop OS software gets rewritten. Something always breaks on the desktop when there's a major rewrite. Plus many developers quit supporting the old OS and just write for the newer ones.

Hopefully the major well-known Palm apps may still be compatible, but I'm not sure there are any guarantees.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    You can write a new os from the ground up to be backwards compatible, but there is no guarantee that it will work well.
    I feel Palm would be better served with an emulator for old Palm OS applications rather than trying to make the base os backwards compatible.

Another reason I'd be surprised to NOT see backwards compatibly in some form on the new OS is the large amount of money spent on licensing the Palm OS from Access.
    Colligan mentioned Garnet backwards compatibility for Palm's "next-generation platform" back in April of 2007. Then again, he also said Nova would be ready by the end of the year (2007), only to add another "12 to 18 months" six months later.

It seems reasonable to expect that Nova would feature a Garnet virtual machine, at least with no performance guarantees attached. It wouldn't be unlike the early versions of OS X shipping with OS 9 emulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Colligan mentioned Garnet backwards compatibility for Palm's "next-generation platform" back in April of 2007. Then again, he also said Nova would be ready by the end of the year (2007), only to add another "12 to 18 months" six months later.
    Also in the April '07 presentation was a slide showing Garnet feeding in to the new operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    It seems reasonable to expect that Nova would feature a Garnet virtual machine, at least with no performance guarantees attached. It wouldn't be unlike the early versions of OS X shipping with OS 9 emulation.
    I agree. It is inconceivable to me that Palm would not provide the facility to run well-behaved Palm OS applications under Nova. Access already do it with ALP.
    I understand people's dislike for the dated OS because they've previously owned older Palm devices. But Palm isn't completely screwed. At my job and at most places I go to, so many people own a Centro. And with this low cost and new promo for it (Santa of all people), Palm is reaching a whole new audience. Regardless of people's own opinions, Centro will be the phone that will keep Palm from sinking until their new release.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12