Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/2205-1.htm

Is 800 people enough to launch a new smartphone platform?
    Hope nobody working on 800w updates gets a pink slip...

But as a customer, this is very bad news. (Although not unexpected news.) It only adds to me resolve, to likely not buy from Palm in the future. I would not want a device I know is from a company, that might not be able to well support the device.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    All sad truth, but I think 800 should be more than enough - though they haven't been able to pull off a new OS in many years with heavier staffing. I'm still hoping that they can pull it off! I want them to survive and I want the old Palm back.
    What do they said, got to hard rock bottom before going up or something about it being darkest before the dawn?

Palm needs some positive news and quick!
    The PIC article mentions:
    Most of the cuts are claimed to be in the sales and marketing departments.
    Marketing and sales are exactly what Palm needs. They're losing money because they have not been making enough sales. I always thought when a company was cutting back in sales and marketing departments, that was a very bad indicator of the company's future.

But perhaps this means all the people working on 800w improvements are still hard at work.
    Well I'm a new customer to Palm...having moved to the Treo Pro by way of Blackberries and then the Samsung Blackjack. I love my Treo Pro as much as I have ever loved a device (meaning it has things I hate about it too). I hope though that something good happens for the company soon because I'm worried I made the wrong call...should have waited for the Epix to come out I suppose.
  7. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Can't be helping having to replace all those cracked Treo Pros either.
    Ya a whole 30 people have said they have cracks, that will probably bankrupt the company..sheesh

See survey under Treo Pro discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The PIC article mentions:

Marketing and sales are exactly what Palm needs. They're losing money because they have not been making enough sales. I always thought when a company was cutting back in sales and marketing departments, that was a very bad indicator of the company's future.

But perhaps this means all the people working on 800w improvements are still hard at work.
    Very true... you don't cut marketing and sales... but then, they more than likely can't afford to cut developers.

I think it would be a hard choice... easy to sit back and say what they should do without knowing the innards of the company....

Palm is gasping for air... the storm is tossing water all around the place...

What happens to TreoCentral when palm dies?

I'll start the bidding at $5 for the domain name.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    What do they said, got to hard rock bottom before going up or something about it being darkest before the dawn?

Palm needs some positive news and quick!
    Very true. After several weeks that have really knocked the socks off of Palm's financial future outlook, it's time for some well coordinated leaks of the new OS to get some buzz going...and to show that there really is a new OS.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by wildmantrader View Post
    Ya a whole 30 people have said they have cracks, that will probably bankrupt the company..sheesh

See survey under Treo Pro discussion
    So you think it's just 30? The 30 you should be concerned about is 30%, because of that poll over 30% say they have cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Very true... you don't cut marketing and sales... but then, they more than likely can't afford to cut developers.

I think it would be a hard choice... easy to sit back and say what they should do without knowing the innards of the company....
    They could start with cuts in the QA department, with the folks who tested the 800w's GPS. There's always administrative staff such as secretaries, tech writers, a little of HR and other office admin staff. I'm not in Palm, but I've worked in a number of tech shops and some that had to downsize. The areas cut are often telling.

They are expected to release products with their new OS early next year. And they're cutting marketing and sales. Something does not add up. But as I said in another thread, perhaps they're setting up to be acquired.

What happens to TreoCentral when palm dies?

I'll start the bidding at $5 for the domain name.
    The party will continue over at WM Experts. Which already has forums setup for Treos.
    Well just heard from a Palm employee they Sh*t canned the entire sales force!!! Turn out the LIGHTS...the parties OVER!!! RIP Palm it was fun while it lasted
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGoodGuy View Post
    Well just heard from a Palm employee they Sh*t canned the entire sales force!!! Turn out the LIGHTS...the parties OVER!!! RIP Palm it was fun while it lasted
    It can only go one of two ways if that's true. Full shut down, or acquisition. It could be the latter, but we'll know soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGoodGuy View Post
    I really doubt they killed the entire department. There is no doubt that Palm has got to get its game on right now and leak Nova info or the game is gonna be over by the first half of 09
    "Many men stumble across the truth, but most manage to pick themselves up
    and continue as if nothing had happened."
    - Winston Churchill
    I say HTC buys them for nothing and the Treo line is resurrected.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    What do you want to bet they've killed off the Nova project and will concentrate on Windows Mobile? I hate to say "I told you so", but my predictions of the death of Nova are all coming true. It's a script, like a Shakespearean tragedy.

From the story on Engadget: "The global economic downturn continues to dampen demand for consumer goods around the world, and the impact on the economic environment is worsened by our maturing Centro line and the length of time it is taking to ramp our new Windows Mobile products."

Embrace the horror: Windows Mobile is the future for Palm.
    The true horror is that there may be no future for palm at all, let alone windows mobile.

You are likely watching the final days of operation at the company at this point. They'll probably eek out another line of devices before the company flatlines. I'll be surprised if nova makes it in time.

When a firm cuts sales and marketing, the rest is soon to follow. Yet another warning sign.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Odd... I didn't know Palm had Sales and/or Marketing departments.

I can see no harm if canning the whole lot because they have been absolutely useless. I imagine Palm would be in better shape if they advertised though and beyond their glory days.
    I wonder if it would be a smart move for Apple to buy Palm. Apple is losing some sales to corporations that require Windows Mobile devices, like my own (Fortune 500). The iPhone seems to be doing quite well with the non-corporate business users but they haven't really penetrated the business market. What do you guys think? Apple buys Palm and uses the brand to market business class WM devices. It be a cheap acquisition and open up a whole new user. I'm not saying it'd be a good idea, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Also...don't some companies cut all costs prior to putting themselves up for sale so they look better on paper?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast