Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We will see. I stand by my prediction that palm will make one final push to roll out 1 iteration of nova devices sometime next year. However due to a worsening economy, heavier losses will be sustained which will lead to a shutdown or acquisition.

They're going to be sailing rough seas next year that's for certain.

Since they don't have the marketing strength of apple, nova will have to be that much more of an amazing OS.

The carriers will be palm's only source of marketing now, obviously, so not only will their future rest on the features of nova, but also upon the effectiveness of sprint or verizon's ad campaign in reaching the target populations.

A very precarious situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuy119 View Post
    Palm just lost me, a loyal user of 5 years, for two reasons:

1. There's more of a chance they go bust or get bought out than they survive. I don't want to own a phone that doesn't have a company any longer.

2. There are no subsidies. I want the Treo Pro, but without knowing if Palm will be around more than a few more months, I don't want to drop $550 knowing there isn't anyone to stand behind their claims.

So now I get to "make due" with an iPhone until I see something I really want, or until the Treo Pro comes to AT&T.
    I am surprised you are buying an iPhone if your preference was for a Treo Pro. Why wouldn't you just buy some other WM 6 device?
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    The more I think about Palm's situation, the more I hope Colligan and his crew and the Elevation Partners group can scrounge up the cash to take Palm private. I doubt it would really reduce their access to capital; it would save them money in mandatory reporting requirements and such and, I think, would give the firm the freedom it needs to finish the work they have started.

I guess everybody has to make their own choices on what they want to do. I've some of my friends own IPhones, and frankly, they seem unimpressive to me. I think I'd have to hurt myself if I ever bought a crackberry. I'm personally not a fan of WM, but I guess a lot of Treo owners are. Anyway, personally, as with most things financial, I think the panic is somewhat overblown. Palm's not in a great position, but I do think they have at least one more bullet left in the gun. Time will tell.

JP
    I'm no finance expert here, but I doubt you will see many public companies going private right now. Typically they are taken private in a leveraged manner where a ton of debt is involved and today there is virtually no access to debt. Not to mention even if they could go private without debt then they would need debt to invest in R&D, etc., I think people will have to believe in the future of Palm and drive their stock price up for this company to survive and do well--which in the current environment is not likely.

Check out this article at cnbc:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27890845/site/14081545

It doesn't paint a picture of Elevation Partners taking Palm private. This won't cheer any of us Palm loyalists up.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Check out this article at cnbc:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27890845/site/14081545

It doesn't paint a picture of Elevation Partners taking Palm private. This won't cheer any of us Palm loyalists up.
    Good find and it would be wise for everyone to read that article.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am surprised you are buying an iPhone if your preference was for a Treo Pro. Why wouldn't you just buy some other WM 6 device?
    I never found another form that felt right in the hand. I absolutely, with every ounce of my being, hate slider-phones, and AT&T doesn't really offer much in the way of WM smartphones (other than that).

I'm also somewhat impatient, and have the luxury of having two upgrade-eligible phones currently on AT&T (mine and my wife's). If the Treo Pro comes to AT&T within the next year, she takes over my iPhone and I get the Treo Pro. Worst case scenario, I'm stuck with the iPhone (which is only a few features short of what I want in a phone anyway - ability to store/download/email files, and ability to edit/create MS Word & Excel files).
    Amell,

Some debt might be involved, but with a market capitalization of only about $250M, and Elevation Partners already owning 25% of that, something could probably be worked out without too much debt, and what debt would be taken out could most likely be highly collateralized. Given all that, I'm even more convinced it would probably be the best for the company, Colligan et al could come up with $125M and Elevation could come up with $62.5, give or take and we could stop hearing from all the talking heads babbling their nonsense. More importantly, Colligan and crew could spend their time turning nova into the homerun, or at least a double, that it needs to be.

One thing I do think that goes under appreciated in the current market is that it is clear no operating system has truly taken hold as the dominant system. This does leave plenty of room for Palm, if it executes well. It will be an interesting ride.

Gargoyle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123