Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    What do you want to bet they've killed off the Nova project and will concentrate on Windows Mobile? I hate to say "I told you so", but my predictions of the death of Nova are all coming true. It's a script, like a Shakespearean tragedy.
    I agree that Palm cannot survive as a handset manufacturer alone. If it kills Nova, it kills itself. There are better handset manufacturers out there running other OS'es.

H
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    I think palm MAY strain itself for one final push for a line of nova devices, but I think even that would be a heroic effort at this point.

I agree that for palm fans this has all the makings of a classic tragedy. All those years of anticipation of a lifesaving new operating platform only to culminate in a sudden company shutdown. Wow.
    Last edited by treobk214; 11/22/2008 at 03:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutiger View Post
    I wonder if it would be a smart move for Apple to buy Palm. Apple is losing some sales to corporations that require Windows Mobile devices, like my own (Fortune 500). The iPhone seems to be doing quite well with the non-corporate business users but they haven't really penetrated the business market. What do you guys think? Apple buys Palm and uses the brand to market business class WM devices. It be a cheap acquisition and open up a whole new user. I'm not saying it'd be a good idea, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    I think VRGT's mention of HTC buying Palm makes more sense. They could fit better together. Apple is not going market anything with Windows running on it. Apple has no real "need" for anything Palm has and is doing VERY well without Palm. Anything Apple is lacking they're sure to try and make up for on their own. MS builds their brand through acquisitions at times, but I can't say I know of that being Apple's style. I could see HTC or MS or some other company we're not thinking about picking up Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by cutiger View Post
    Also...don't some companies cut all costs prior to putting themselves up for sale so they look better on paper?
    Absolutely.

And for all we know, Palm could be speaking with prospective buyers who already have a strong sales and marketing team.

Palm has a great set of minds collected at one spot. It would be nice if somebody picked them up to keep things going and even improve upon Palm's prior efforts.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    What do they said, got to hard rock bottom before going up or something about it being darkest before the dawn?

Palm needs some positive news and quick!
    A variation is: "It's always darkest just before it goes completely black."
    I've been a loyal Palm user continuously since my Palm V, and I've still clung to my finicky Treo 700p (WITHOUT the MR firmware updste) for the past two years, but I am closer now than ever to jumping ship for Blackberry (I'm looking at the Bold and Storm). I really want Palm to give me a reason not to, but I'm really feeling pushed now.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildmantrader View Post
    Ya a whole 30 people have said they have cracks, that will probably bankrupt the company..sheesh

See survey under Treo Pro discussion

Another point besides Darnell's, not everyone comes here, there could be more.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Another point besides Darnell's, not everyone comes here, there could be more.
    It may also be true that you have an unusually large % who will report problems- but the Treo Pro is not the first product they have had manufacturing problems with.

Early Centros had crooked screens.
    The fact some are having problems early on only indicates more will in time. Just like Jennifer, those saying "not me" today may not say that for very long.

I'm sure not only sure that there are more, but there will be more than that with each passing day.
    Another possibility, which I don't necessarily put much stock in, is that the devs on the Nova team have wrapped up their work on initial platform and SDK, and are now expendable. Or it was becoming clear that they wouldn't be able to make the end-of-year deadline (partly due to previous layoffs) and are equally expendable, leaving the scenario that rambo47 suggested -- that WM is their sole future platform.

Like others, I'm hoping for an HTC buyout. Layering TouchFlo over WM is really the only way to make the OS palatable in the consumer market, and Palm doesn't really have any competitive advantage as a WM device manufacturer. I'd buy the Treo Pro over the Epix, but I'd have a hard time convincing anyone other than a Palm loyalist to do likewise.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I say HTC buys them for nothing and the Treo line is resurrected.

maybe HTC will give us the Treo Pro with Palm os on it and promise that they will upgrade to nova when released!
    I bet they shut down the secret Foleo II development team.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    maybe HTC will give us the Treo Pro with Palm os on it and promise that they will upgrade to nova when released!
    If HTC buys Palm, Nova will never get released. HTC will primarily be buying the brand. I would expect them to use it on all their mobile devices (WM, Android and possibly PalmOS).

They could possibly take some of the work on Nova and integrate it into Android.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I wonder if RIM would acquire them as well for the Nova start-up kit, then blend their own email client into the package. Rumors abound that RIM needs to get an OS that is updated, so this could be an (unlikely) option as well.
    Interesting news:

Palm has been staking its future on the launch of a yet-to-be-named operating system and device. Fox said the OS is on track to be released this year, and the device in the first half of 2009.

The company has hired top talent as it tries to right itself, poaching both Chairman John Rubinstein, who helped create the iPod, and senior vice president of product development Mike Bell from Apple.

But the smartphone market seems to grow more competitive by the day. News of Palm's layoffs emerged as hundreds of people lined up at stores on Friday to buy the BlackBerry Storm, the first touch-screen phone for RIM.

According to data released Thursday by ChangeWave, only 5 percent of companies plan to buy a Palm smartphone in the next quarter, half the figure from a year ago. By contrast, 78 percent of corporations planned to buy a RIM device and 22 percent an iPhone.

Last week, Goldman Sachs (nyse: GS - news - people ) initiated coverage on Palm with a sell rating, citing increasing competition and market share losses.
    Well I'm sure you who really favor Palm so long as they have a pulse are happy to know Nova is on schedule.

Personally speaking, Palm is too near dead for me to risk buying anything more from them. I've transitioned to WM with the 800w and it's my step towards that mass market of other devices in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuy119 View Post
    I wonder if RIM would acquire them as well for the Nova start-up kit, then blend their own email client into the package. Rumors abound that RIM needs to get an OS that is updated, so this could be an (unlikely) option as well.
    RIM may want to further update their UI but there is nothing wrong with their core OS. They certainly don't need Nova.
    Can't pretend this is not bad news; although, many companies really need to shed some fat, especially right now.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this was not the first step in shutting down the non-smartphone operations. That market is essentially dead and would probably be in Palm's best interest to shut down those operations.

Additionally, there could be sense in focusing, initially, on markets where the product family is strong. As the new OS is established, the staffing can grow and be moved to markets where Palm doesn't have as much of an existing footprint.

Lastly, there does need to be more of a realization that Palm is essentially a wholesale firm now. It markets to carriers and the carriers do the retail marketing. So, they do not really need that large of a marketing staff.

Just some thoughts.

Gargoyle
    Frist off, as some have already pointed out the absolute numbers of cracked uinits (30 or so) is not the issue it is the perecentage of those that have responded roughly 1/3 I think at last check. I agree that more with problems are likely to post but still this is an alarming percentage.

Second, mabye Palm is abandoning Sales and Marketing becasue they are abandoning the end user (unlocked device) and strictly going the carrier subsidized route. There are only a handful of carriers in the world and it wouldn't be too hard to dialogue with them. Perhaps the unlocked route doesn't work--especially today in a lousy economy and they MUST have the carrier subsidy. Even Apple with their hugely popular iPhone now has a massive ATT carrier subsidy built into their plan.--Just a thought.

I really hope hope they make it, especially because I just spent north of $500 on a Treo Pro plus some accessories and I have a feeling I will likely have warranty needs down the road---especially as this is an unlocked device.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Frist off, as some have already pointed out the absolute numbers of cracked uinits (30 or so) is not the issue it is the perecentage of those that have responded roughly 1/3 I think at last check. I agree that more with problems are likely to post but still this is an alarming percentage.

Second, mabye Palm is abandoning Sales and Marketing becasue they are abandoning the end user (unlocked device) and strictly going the carrier subsidized route. There are only a handful of carriers in the world and it wouldn't be too hard to dialogue with them. Perhaps the unlocked route doesn't work--especially today in a lousy economy and they MUST have the carrier subsidy. Even Apple with their hugely popular iPhone now has a massive ATT carrier subsidy built into their plan.--Just a thought.

I really hope hope they make it, especially because I just spent north of $500 on a Treo Pro plus some accessories and I have a feeling I will likely have warranty needs down the road---especially as this is an unlocked device.
    Palm just lost me, a loyal user of 5 years, for two reasons:

1. There's more of a chance they go bust or get bought out than they survive. I don't want to own a phone that doesn't have a company any longer.

2. There are no subsidies. I want the Treo Pro, but without knowing if Palm will be around more than a few more months, I don't want to drop $550 knowing there isn't anyone to stand behind their claims.

So now I get to "make due" with an iPhone until I see something I really want, or until the Treo Pro comes to AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuy119 View Post

1. There's more of a chance they go bust or get bought out than they survive. I don't want to own a phone that doesn't have a company any longer.
    Hi stuy119,

If Palm is acquired, there would most likely still be support for the old Treos. Just as Palm offers the updates for the old Handspring line of products. The major issue is if Palm goes under.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    It can only go one of two ways if that's true. Full shut down, or acquisition. It could be the latter, but we'll know soon.
    Serves them right. I know it sounds cruel, but after the 650 and a miserable year with a crummy 700p dangling the carrot of an update, I made the switch to the iPhone and never looked back. Too bad they never could innovate -- Palm is so dated and Windows is pure misery. My iPhone rules.
    The more I think about Palm's situation, the more I hope Colligan and his crew and the Elevation Partners group can scrounge up the cash to take Palm private. I doubt it would really reduce their access to capital; it would save them money in mandatory reporting requirements and such and, I think, would give the firm the freedom it needs to finish the work they have started.

I guess everybody has to make their own choices on what they want to do. I've some of my friends own IPhones, and frankly, they seem unimpressive to me. I think I'd have to hurt myself if I ever bought a crackberry. I'm personally not a fan of WM, but I guess a lot of Treo owners are. Anyway, personally, as with most things financial, I think the panic is somewhat overblown. Palm's not in a great position, but I do think they have at least one more bullet left in the gun. Time will tell.

JP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast