Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I am a 10 year Palm user and am still eeking out the life that is left in my Treo - waiting patiently for Palm to execute and deliver their new 'game changing' platform and devices on the new Palm Nova. It is disappointing to myself and probably many of you that Palm Nova isn't out now as it was originally supposed to have been - then it was pushed back to March and now finally early summer of 09'. With about 7 months to go or less until the release of the new Palm Linux OS and devices - it would be great to open up this thread to you about what we know and rumors we have heard. Let me just state some of the small things we know and can piece together.

-Palm Nova will be based on Linux and could be based on Wind River Linux since that was used in the Foleo product (speculating here).

-Palm is looking to get back to the 'zen of Palm' which is simplicity and ease of use which our current devices do so well. But more in a 2008 GUI style.

-One Palm product person once said that Nova would be about consolidating lots of information in the cloud onto one device. Palm released the 'My Palm
    Backup beta' about a year ago which backed up our devices over the air automatically without having to hotsync. They have now announced that they are closing that project for current Treos and I bet that is to make way for the Linux version of a cloud data repository that they are sure to have. Basically - info you input data into your palm - it will be sent into the cloud for backup and extra storage. Then it will pull the best of all of your data into the one device (I am thinking that partnerships here are key - Facebook, YouTube, MySpace - all of the hot content on the web).

-There was an analyst comment based on a rumor that the next Palm devices would have really nice cameras in them and that Palm was trying to differentiate itself from BB and Iphone by having superior video quality, picture quality and video services. As someone that likes to take pictures - that excites me if they take this area very seriously. The cameras in the Treos are so weak for todays standards.

-Palm hired the top designer of the Apple Iphone about a year ago and his design abilities are already being seen with the new Treo Pro. The device itself is thin - its sleek with nice lines and its packaging is pretty much a direct ripoff of the Iphone in its simplicity. That device and packaging is sure to be the beginning of Palms imitation of the Iphones simplicity and beauty as a device and platform. I am really looking forward to seeing the first devices for Palm Nova. Since everyone loves the Treo Keyboard and in my opinion its much better then any BB keyboard anyday....it will be interesting to see how they implement a physical keyboard with an Iphone sized screen (speculating here again).

-Lastly - although Palm has the disadvantage of being late to the market with NOVA - that is also an advantage because they have seen their competitors hands. This creates even more pressure for Palm to outperform the Iphone which has been out for a very long time (in cellphone years) and for Palm to outdo it as well as RIMs latest Bold and Storm is going to be quite a feat. But no doubt what Palm is going for.

Ok - I have put all of my thoughts down about the future Palm OS and devices. It would be great to hear from all of you what you think the hardware designs are going and post any additional rumors coming out of Palm HQ about what they are developing. One thing you have to give Palm credit for - they have kept things very hush hush - now if they can just execute as well as they stay quiet.

Discuss .
    I hope to see several PALM innovations reincarnated..

I am "speculating" that the GRAFFITI system will be reincarnated into something that you can pre-program using your own handwriting, or even the handwriting recognition caapabilities found in many windows tablets.

Of course they have publicly acknowledge that the HOTSYNC system will be re-made to sync with the Cloud... I am guessing this is why they discontinued the my palm beta.... they should be re-tooling this to this end.

I hope SLIDER mechanisms that we saw in their earlier Tungsten lines will be reincarnated into the new Treo - the sliding part will be the thumbpad - you can pull it down to reveal a nice 320x480 screen.

And of course... you know me... would like to see the FOLEO reincarnated... nuff said
    I predict there will be a slew of Nova pda phones, Nova tablets and Nova Netbooks
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    THE GAME CHANGER

The palm obama gamechanger running nova os will be the name of the next device. "gamechanger" will be printed above the screen next to the sprint logo.

They will also release a nova gamechanger desktop software as well, with games bundled onboard .

Lastly, a game changing lower monthly fee will be offered by sprint to attempt to woo at&t customers back from the eye-phone.

Lots of new changes, should make for an interesting new game in the world of smartphones.

(sorry, the term "game changer" has been used SO OFTEN during the political campaigns I couldn't resist having some fun off of it here).
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I actually think you are probably very close with your mockup - palm knows its bread adn butter is its keyboard - so I really think you have it visualized - very nice!
    That's the type of new form factor they need to experiment with to test the market, and I'd like to hope they are being developed. Knowing palm, however, they are nowhere near that sort of solution. I love what RIMM is doing with its phones - building an absolute powerhouse in the Bold, and traversing into new territory with their first touch screen blackberry (Storm) with a HUGE screen. If only palm could be so... ahem, here it comes..... BOLD.
    Last edited by treobk214; 11/17/2008 at 10:20 PM.
    The problem with that form factor is that the long screen, combined with an exposed keyboard, makes for a very big device. people already complain about how big Treos (and other smartphones) are. Few would buy something that won't fit in a shirt pocket, even if they never put it in a shirt pocket.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Palm had better get their act in gear and break their silence quickly. I am tired of waiting and am about to jump ship to a different platform (iPhone, Android, WinMob) even if I have to leave Sprint to do so. I imagine there are other customers facing the same situation. Let's be honest, Palm: There are too many choices now for you to keep your loyal (unrewarded, ignored) diehard customers.

Plus, it is the Holiday season and many phones will be purchased as gifts. Unless you give people a reason to wait, they will soon be locked into another one or two year contract.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    How about something in the line of an old T3. Extra screen under the keyboard??
    Here's my prediction on the new Palm Nova devices ...

It will be called the Palm Nada because it will never see the light of day. Palm has basically burned all it's cash at this point and bringing forth anything innovative to all the markets and carriers that they need is pretty near impossible. Not to mention the obvious concerning their near utter inability to innovate anything significant in the past five years. This is the same compnary that still uses Pilot 1000 alarms and a 1K clipboard limit. Not exactly encouraging.

Unless a complete counter cultural miracle has occurred out there, then I predict that Nova will find the same market penetration as Cobalt and Copeland. I hope that 12 months from today, that this is looks like the most idiotic post in the history of TC. But not holding my breath.
    Patrick Horne
    Livefaith, your predictions on palm's bankruptcy and dissolution announcement? I'm going with July 15, 2009, but I actually think it will happen MUCH sooner.

Turkey's done folks. Stick a fork in it.
    That's probably a good thread. The BR date or buyout date. Winner gets a free Sony CLIE running Cobalt v6.0 and a pleather carry case.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    That's probably a good thread. The BR date or buyout date. Winner gets a free Sony CLIE running Cobalt v6.0 and a pleather carry case.
    Pleather? No thanks, I'm a man and I need more steaks and beef jerky!

All seriousness, I'm really starting to chomp on the bit waiting for the new Palm OS. my 755p is just not cutting it anymore, the 800w is just shinning a turd, and the Centro is not worth the money right now.

The iPhone keeps calling my name and now I can get out of my Sprint contract with no fees thnx to another fee increase.

I don't know what to do... wait? I'm a guy so that's not going to happen!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Pleather? No thanks, I'm a man and I need more steaks and beef jerky!

All seriousness, I'm really starting to chomp on the bit waiting for the new Palm OS. my 755p is just not cutting it anymore, the 800w is just shinning a turd, and the Centro is not worth the money right now.

The iPhone keeps calling my name and now I can get out of my Sprint contract with no fees thnx to another fee increase.

I don't know what to do... wait? I'm a guy so that's not going to happen!

my treo 755 crashed and hard reset all by itself, losing all my data last week. I've been trying to hot sync all the data back onboard but only some of it was preserved. Don't know why.

Now suddenly there is massive lag when switching into and out of web for some reason. cookies have been cleared too.

I've just had it with treo instability and gutwrenching data loss.

I'm so ready for either a blackberry or an iphone myself - its just a matter of when I can make the switch. felt like throwing my treo through the wall I was so furious.
    Some teasers sure would soothe the soul right about now! But I want hold my breath. Waiting on Palm to deliver is like trying to win the lottery! I would love to see a real kick*&% full screen phone with killer palm 2.0 apps, no sliders please. WinMo is getting long in the tooth but the Treo Pro is a step in the right direction. Palm may only get one shot at making it right after the long wait!
    "To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."
    ~Michael Jordan

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    ~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Palm had better get their act in gear and break their silence quickly. I am tired of waiting and am about to jump ship to a different platform (iPhone, Android, WinMob) even if I have to leave Sprint to do so. I imagine there are other customers facing the same situation. Let's be honest, Palm: There are too many choices now for you to keep your loyal (unrewarded, ignored) diehard customers.

Plus, it is the Holiday season and many phones will be purchased as gifts. Unless you give people a reason to wait, they will soon be locked into another one or two year contract.
    Well said.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    THe next conference call on December 18 will be a must-list-to then. If they don't spill anything on that call (even just a release date or something), i don't think they ever will.
    Well, Folks,

I know this may be too much but I am going to shoot the moon here.

I would love to see a roll out screen that appears to the left or right based on the hand you use the most.

Much like the interface on the mapping units used on Red Planet the movie. Or the hand held communicators on Earth Final Conflict.

I would like to see fully functional two way video phone. Not conferencing. But like Skype, only in a clean interface.

A voice interface that makes using your fingers a thing of the past. Voice prompts that work cleanly and with out glitch or feature failure.

Easy to use screens that look smooth and clean and easy to use. No clutter like the icons of old.

Simplistic intuitive feature branching that makes sense and not a bunch of icons to get the job done.

Built the way we think. Not the way designers think we think.

Plus make it customizable so that the end user can customize and easily reset back to go easily.

Keep the keyboard for those times when typing has no substitute.

Talk time and standby that is more than a week in duration.

Swapable Batteries is a major winner in my book.

Deliver is Yesterday as I have been waiting way too long for an update worth the cash.

I do not like the Centro. Refuse to use the WinMobile Platform. Have to carry a company BB.

Have had Palm III, IIIc, Pro, Treo 90, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p and now an unlocked Treo 680 as I did not like and refuse to spend the money on the Centro.

Give me the promise that you have not delivered.
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post

Well written. However, I stopped waiting in July and jumped to an iPhone 3G. It is a fabulous smartphone despite its lack of cut and paste, and global find, which I sorely miss from my Treo. I use it every day in my medical practice and am just as productive with it as with my Treo.

Personally, I hope that Palm claws its way back, but I simply fail to see how they can at this point. Too late to market, shrinking stock price, not enough cash....Palm is definitely on deathwatch at this point. It's too bad, because Palm had it all in the smartphone market for so long. It was SO hard to switch after nearly ten years of using Palm devices.

RIP, Palm...
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast