1.    #1  
    So is there any possible new phones coming from Palm before new OS is ready?
    I was just wondering what's coming next, we are still about 6 to 8 months away from seeing any new devices based on new OS.

Maybe a updated Centro?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    My predicted timeline:

1. Sprint refreshed Centro (128mb, soft touch paint etc): Out now

2. December/early Jan---black refreshed Centro arrives at Sprint stores once they clear out stocks of the old 64mb black Centro. The Treo Pro is still a no-show on any domestic carrier and its unlocked price is quickly slashed by $100 (or more).

3. January--Treo 800w finally appears on Verizon. The last of Palm's handhelds are finally EOL'd and Ed C. makes a big hoopla about Palm taking the bold next step to a smartphone-centric product lineup. Social networking is targeted as THE killer app going forward.

4. Feb/early March--Palm rolls out the 128mb Centro in a GSM version and possibly to Verizon & other CDMA carriers. Palm remains mum on Nova.

5. March--CDMA Treo Pro appears on Sprint

6. May--Nova is briefly demo'd. Release is still promised as 1H '09.

7 June 30 2009. Nova is briefly demo'd again via a grainy YouTube video on the Palm Blog and the release date is revised to "late summer" (ala Foleo).

8. Late summer 2009: Palm announces a strategic respositioning of Garnet for ultra-low end consumer-oriented devices focusing on social networking. Nova is again demo'd and release date is revised for October.

9. Oct--Treo Pro appears on Verizon but after a few days on the market, the handsets are quickly & quietly recalled for unidentified reasons.

10. Nov '09. Palm is acquired for pennies on the dollar by HTC and sold off piecemeal.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  3.    #3  
    Makes no sense. All that $$$ and time and they dont even release the new OS?

Man, you got no faith.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Indeeed, I have zero faith or confidence in Palm at this point. If you have a link or any other evidence pointing to the existence of a tangible, shipping-in-6-months-or-less OS, by all means please point it out and make me eat my words. I'd LOVE to wind up with egg on my face!

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Palm hater or a basher. I still like the fundamental design of the OS & the UI and still find the Palm OS PIM apps the paradigm for mobile organizer device software. I've used the platform for over a dozen years and every time I dabbled with Win CE/WinMob/RIM etc I threw up my hands in disgust and went back to POS like a comfortable old pair of shoes.

But the company has simply had too many missteps, miscues, near-misses mismanagement, and botched executions over the past decade. Palm got arrogant and complacent after the early success of the Pilot & Palm Pilot and they never really did properly regroup, refocus and recover. Look how RIM has gone from producing hideous-looking, chunky pager-style devices to slick consumer friendly products like the Bold & Storm in just a few years' time. Yet many will argue that Palm has gone backwards in both performance and styling. Palm was late to the color PDA party, late to the wireless PDA party, late to the high-resolution screen party, and looks unlikely to ever play in the large-screen smartphone category, after squandering the huge headstart given to them by Handspring's Treo 600.

I've said it before and I've said it again. Nova will never appear in a shipping device. IMO, "Nova" is by now just a vague proof of concept & hodgepodge of OS features intended to be enough smoke & mirrors to make analysts and Palm shareholders feel good by thinking that "something" good is on the horizon. And if Nova somehow DOES appear in a device in the 2nd half of 2009, it's certain to be riddled with bugs and will never be able to gain any traction or marketshare (either with developers or end-users). Look how long it took Palm to "perfect" OS5--5 years!

The Fooleo debacle was basically the nail in Palm's coffin, as it gobbled up too much of the company's dwindling engineering and financial reserves. Had Nova appeared in a stable state this time last year or even sometime earlier this year, they might have stood a chance. But now I am afraid we are just going to see Palm's long, drawn-out, protracted death throes play out over 2009.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  5.    #5  
    Well I dont have any proof regarding the new OS but I hope you are wrong with your predictions. I guess we all will find out soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Well I dont have any proof regarding the new OS but I hope you are wrong with your predictions. I guess we all will find out soon enough.

Palm really needs to come forth with more information on "Nova" What if someone writes an application for us to use our current palm os programs with the G1 Phone? I am waiting for the Android in a phone with a keyboard format like the BB Bold or the Motorola Q. And if that one guy rewrites the Palm OS (Palm should hire Him and release new smart phones with the rewritten operating system in Jan or February). I am currently using the BB Bold on AT&T and the Motorola Q on Sprint.
    http://wikicars.org/en/Chevrolet_Nova

Seeing the name Nova and also being a native spanish speaker this kinda spells doom on the device as well as made me think of the Chevy Nova from back in the day. Check out the Urban Legend section and you'll understand why.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    I don't know what to think. I don't think it is even ready yet and they are still weighing their options. I hope I am wrong and we see it soon.
    Hkklife,

Those were some good, well thought out posts. Sadly, I think you just predicted Palm's future right before our very eyes. This is one of many reasons I switched to the competition (Apple); I'm not going to invest my $$ in a company that may not live to see 2010.

Hk's right: IF Nova ever sees the light of day in 2009 or (probably) 2010, it'll be a bug-ridden "too little, too late."
  10.    #10  
    I'm thinking they need to release some info in 1st quarter of 09 and not be late with the first devices. I dont think they can afford to be late and delay it until 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Indeeed, I have zero faith or confidence in Palm at this point. If you have a link or any other evidence pointing to the existence of a tangible, shipping-in-6-months-or-less OS, by all means please point it out and make me eat my words. I'd LOVE to wind up with egg on my face!

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Palm hater or a basher. I still like the fundamental design of the OS & the UI and still find the Palm OS PIM apps the paradigm for mobile organizer device software. I've used the platform for over a dozen years and every time I dabbled with Win CE/WinMob/RIM etc I threw up my hands in disgust and went back to POS like a comfortable old pair of shoes.

But the company has simply had too many missteps, miscues, near-misses mismanagement, and botched executions over the past decade. Palm got arrogant and complacent after the early success of the Pilot & Palm Pilot and they never really did properly regroup, refocus and recover. Look how RIM has gone from producing hideous-looking, chunky pager-style devices to slick consumer friendly products like the Bold & Storm in just a few years' time. Yet many will argue that Palm has gone backwards in both performance and styling. Palm was late to the color PDA party, late to the wireless PDA party, late to the high-resolution screen party, and looks unlikely to ever play in the large-screen smartphone category, after squandering the huge headstart given to them by Handspring's Treo 600.

I've said it before and I've said it again. Nova will never appear in a shipping device. IMO, "Nova" is by now just a vague proof of concept & hodgepodge of OS features intended to be enough smoke & mirrors to make analysts and Palm shareholders feel good by thinking that "something" good is on the horizon. And if Nova somehow DOES appear in a device in the 2nd half of 2009, it's certain to be riddled with bugs and will never be able to gain any traction or marketshare (either with developers or end-users). Look how long it took Palm to "perfect" OS5--5 years!

The Fooleo debacle was basically the nail in Palm's coffin, as it gobbled up too much of the company's dwindling engineering and financial reserves. Had Nova appeared in a stable state this time last year or even sometime earlier this year, they might have stood a chance. But now I am afraid we are just going to see Palm's long, drawn-out, protracted death throes play out over 2009.
    I bet one of the biggest reasons for any delay is due to the promise of backwards compatibility with POS 5.xxx apps. To me, that's just garbage. The market that Palm wants to break into doesn't want to look at these graphically deficient apps, no matter how useful they are. How useful are the top apps for Android and iPhone anyways?
    Palm flat lines in late 2009. Time of death - July 15, 2009.

I also feel that HTC will acquire the few remaining desirable pieces of palm following its disintegration.

Ed Colligan to go from Palm ceo to mail room boy at apple.

treocentral to go the way of visorcentral.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Hopefully the manufacturers of Treo Phones make a better version of the Pro. Less cracks and more functionality!
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com