Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    I think its already too late. Nova will be a 1.0 product. It will never live up to all the expectations of the mobile industry. Everyone will complain why it can't do A, B, C, D..... and Z functions.

My personal theory is that Nova is their leveraging chip to be a target acquisition by another big company (eg. HTC, Google, Nokia, Apple???). I think that's the mission of Elevation Partners. To make Palm attractive enough for a buyout. They already saw the writing on the wall 2 years ago and that's what they're trying to do with palm (making her pretty again ).

BTW, their stock is below $3 today.
    People are far more forgiving it seems for today's new OSes. Look at how simple the iPhone and Android OSes are. Look at how difficult it is to use your devices how you want to, not how Apple/Google tell you to. NO native tasks on each, limited MS Exchange on one device, none on the other, not so great calendars on both, limitations on email on Android, limitations on basicaly everything on the iPhone...
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    People are far more forgiving it seems for today's new OSes. Look at how simple the iPhone and Android OSes are. Look at how difficult it is to use your devices how you want to, not how Apple/Google tell you to. NO native tasks on each, limited MS Exchange on one device, none on the other, not so great calendars on both, limitations on email on Android, limitations on basicaly everything on the iPhone...
    I think the OS does not matter anymore (unlike a few years ago). What matters now is the WOW factor and the buzz it creates and how it creates a link to the buyer. As you mentioned, people are more tolerant now on how unintuitive the phone is. So the question is, does the OS matter anymore? If it still does matter, does the best mobile OS reflect the sales number that it should?
    I think the OS does not matter anymore (unlike a few years ago). What matters now is the WOW factor and the buzz it creates and how it creates a link to the buyer. As you mentioned, people are more tolerant now on how unintuitive the phone is. So the question is, does the OS matter anymore? If it still does matter, does the best mobile OS reflect the sales number that it should?
    Don't get me wrong, but the iPhone is a joke to me!

C'mon ... when I am using a SMARTphone, I expect it to be smart. I cannot use Cut/Paste unless I install a crappy third party software ... why? This should be a native operation for the OS. Also, excuse me for this, the PIM in it just sucks.

secondly, it is overrated ... I mean I don't hate the iPhone, I don't mind for it to be bestseller or anything, just not to be overrated.

As said before, people would rather go after the look and ignore the functionality. Also, I don't see anyone making a big deal out of this! It is like everyone knows that Apple ignores these simple problems and they are happy that they have this *greate* device.

When I bought the iPhone, everyone I asked told me that it is THE perfect device. No one pointed out the problems with it. It is just amazing!

Sorry for the long post, I am just frustrated because I wasted $$ on that ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post

C'mon ... when I am using a SMARTphone, I expect it to be smart. I cannot use Cut/Paste unless I install a crappy third party software ... why? This should be a native operation for the OS. Also, excuse me for this, the PIM in it just sucks.

secondly, it is overrated ... I mean I don't hate the iPhone, I don't mind for it to be bestseller or anything, just not to be overrated.

As said before, people would rather go after the look and ignore the functionality. Also, I don't see anyone making a big deal out of this! It is like everyone knows that Apple ignores these simple problems and they are happy that they have this *greate* device.

When I bought the iPhone, everyone I asked told me that it is THE perfect device. No one pointed out the problems with it. It is just amazing!

I still have an iPhone 3G that has been sitting in a box for over 2 months now, but it does have a lot of issues and many people that own it say they never have problems, but when specifically asked they state that they do have those problems but it's easy to overlook them because of everything else it does.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post

First of all, before buying ANY tech product, you need to do your homework. Play with it first, read what you can on the web, etc. It can save you a lot of money and frustrations. Don't buy on impulse.

The Iphone is NOT the be-all-end-all phone. Its not trying to be that. Apple put out this phone that they THINK is good. They usually try to change people perception, instead of the other way around.

The good news is that, you can still sell you phone in ebay and use the money to buy a smartphone of your choice
    First of all, before buying ANY tech product, you need to do your homework. Play with it first, read what you can on the web, etc. It can save you a lot of money and frustrations. Don't buy on impulse.

The Iphone is NOT the be-all-end-all phone. Its not trying to be that. Apple put out this phone that they THINK is good. They usually try to change people perception, instead of the other way around.

The good news is that, you can still sell you phone in ebay and use the money to buy a smartphone of your choice
    Thanks for the tips buddy .

Already sold

Anyways, I thought I have done my homaework when I asked and stuff. But it turned that there is certian things that you would never notice the first time, like Cut/Paste .. etc!

Some people don't consider that a deal breaker, well I do.

Meh ... what is in the past stays in the past!

Again, thanks for the tips.

Regards,
    wonder if this phone will be picked up by a US carrier.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The Palm OS looks pretty good and I can help it but it seems to me that it's like a copy of Windows Mobile OS.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    The Palm OS looks pretty good and I can help it but it seems to me that it's like a copy of Windows Mobile OS.
    I don't wish to labour the point, but it is NOT a Palm OS. It is the ACCESS LINUX PLATFORM (ALP).
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I don't wish to labour the point, but it is NOT a Palm OS. It is the ACCESS LINUX PLATFORM (ALP).
    A lot of folks fail to read follow-up comments before they post so...
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Good luck finding it on any device in the Western world. Seems that it's only on Chinese devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Good luck finding it on any device in the Western world. Seems that it's only on Chinese devices.
    It says "Made in Japan" on the back of the device

So .... Yeah!
    ooo nice
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    OK, so the new Palm OS comes out (Nova). It won't be a game changer.

Will Palm come out with a new phone simultaneously for the OS? Will that phone be a game changer (with or without the OS)?
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    I would be perfectly happy to have the Palm OS that is on my 680 on a similar device, but with the multitasking needed to do 3G gsm and Wifi.
    I agree, the same OS would be fine with me (maybe a few minor modifications) as long as it came with more functionality (like WiFi).
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by DL.Cummings View Post
    I agree, the same OS would be fine with me (maybe a few minor modifications) as long as it came with more functionality (like WiFi).
    Cannot be done with Garnet (PalmOS). That's why we are impatiently waiting for Nova.
    Cannot be done with Garnet (PalmOS). That's why we are impatiently waiting for Nova.
    Right, and I hope I didn't suggest it could. I'm just saying that if it could I would be happy with what I have plus some extras.

I just hope that I don't have to wait too terribly long . . .
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    You'll never see Nova. It ain't coming because Palm can't do it. They are incapable of creating this OS, which is why we've seen nothing but the same old re-hashed snaps and renders of the OS, no actual live demo footage.

This latest quarter fits into the scenario I've laid out in other posts perfectly.
    First another delay notification. Then a shakeup in the software division. Another announcement, this time to introduce a new team brought in to put the project "back on track." More delays announced. Software folks resign. Finally Palm announces that Nova is dead, not gonna happen, adios, embrace Windows Mobile - The Future of the Palm Platform™.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Why do most new phone designs all seem to copy the iPhone?
    They don't, from my point of view. But then some make the incredible observation that the Treo Pro is like an iPhone.
  20. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Why do most new phone designs all seem to copy the iPhone?
    I wouldn't say "ALL", but I think some "me too" devices simply want to capitalize on those consumers that want a trendy "fashion phone" without having having to switch carriers or pay the so-called Apple Tax.

I must say that the copy-cat routine is nothing new or exclusive to the mobile/cell phone industry either... if a specific product hits one out of the park & sells very well, its not uncommon to see copy-cats of that product from other companies trying to capitalize on the situation.

Another issue is while not all new phone designs are copy-cats of the iPhone IMHO, the media does have a tendency to compare any new smartphone product to the iPhone. This, unfortunately, simply exacerbates the issue.

Just my .02... L8R
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast