1.    #1  
    Must be getting old...
    have a 755p and next month (day after turkey day) my 2yr contract is up though today my treo speaker did not want to work (could not hear nor callers hear me) so I did the regular thing, remove battery, soft reset, tap the back of the phone on a wall (don't laugh...that last trick worked).

anyway, dont' recall what I had prior, guessing it was a treo 600 model.

my needs are simple really -
    1. like the treo keypad (though guessing not the centro)
    2. only really use it for pda stuff mostly - memo notes for work, bit of calendar.
    have sprint currently, hear their customer service is really bad but have not had to deal with them too speak of and my bill with data is around $85 month due to my discounted plan so that may be a reason to stay with them.

like the idea of internet access but it is still slow on the 755p. have not kept up with current nor new models though it seems palm is in the 'never never land' for OS development for the palm plateform.

suggestions welcome (I do like the form factor of the treo I have so don't feeel it is too big just hate to be stuck with the same 755p again for another 2yr contract term). would like to enjoy internet access on a larger screen.

brother has altel, not that it matters to me what carrier per say just so a data plan would not cost up the back end.

sorry for the long post (G-1, Apple I-touch phone)???
    trying to stay away from the dark side of windows model though did see palm came out with a new one for them...
    us palm OS users they...o'never mind.
    Last edited by motor; 10/23/2008 at 09:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    FWIW, the 755p came out for Sprint in July '07. It hit Verizon in Dec '07 via direct channels and Jan '08 at retail. Was the 755p issued to you as a replacement device (perhaps for a 700p?) or how did you manage to get one while in a contract?

I'd personally look for a "B" revision hardware Sprint 755p (they are rare but are out there) on the TC forums or E-Bay and buy it and just wait it out for another 6-9 months to see what happens with Nova.

Barring that, either get a dirt-cheap Centro w/ 128mb RAM or just jump ship to either WinMob (800w or the rumored CDMA Treo Pro) or go with a BlackBerry Storm on Verizon.

For the time being, you can forget about anything coming from Palm with a screen resolution greater than 320x320. From Palm you have your choice of 240x240, small 320x320 or larger 320x320. That's IT (Treo 500v does not count)!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  3.    #3  
    maybe I'm older then I realized...
    I hope it has not only been one year ago since I upgraded to this model but heck maybe that is the case. if so I'm screwed since I have no insurance on the phone but do have a contact for another year with them I'm guessing since I'm sure I did the 2yr thing so the phone cost less when I got it. did recall trying in my old treo 650? and got a $50 credit at the time for it.
    this is not good ....

Sorry for the stupid question but how is a 'B' revision hardware sprint 755p different from mine and for that matter how do I know if I have a 'b' or not model?

I have to have a keyboard I'm thinking, just not willing to go without it. I can deal with a replacement 755p if that is what I have to do for a year til my contact is up but really was not looking/wanting to have to spend $100 to $300 for to replace but if this darn speaker is going to crap in and out at a moments notice on me it would seem I have no choice. Guess that 'dumb' $5 to $7 a month insurance charge I canceled with sprint would be coming in handy right about now. wish the treo came with a manufactor warranty for a year (heck even six months if I paid for it with my credit card which might have doubled the warranty period).

saw the thread on the home page about Sprint getting real about canceling a contract though that may not roll out til december.

so could anyone give me a heads up on best possible options to go with ?
    If I have one more year of contract with sprint that means even if another phone came out I would have to pay full price for it, not a discounted price (just read about a htc touch pro, has keyboard though wm OS).
    what will sprint ding me to get a replacement treo 755p or do I look to buy a used one on ebay that is a revision 'b'?

I might have to keep tapping this phone on the wall for awhile longer.

anyway, thanks for taking the time to try to assist hkklife, I realize treocentral users pretty much live and breath pda palm os stuff day in and day out then you get guys like me that just use it as is pretty much and are happy until it breaks.
    Last edited by motor; 10/23/2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Have you thought about a BlackBerry Curve? Maybe if you offer to switch plans to one of the new Everything Plans, they may give it to you with the full discount price, which is $99.99. Not too bad.

I too would rather have a Treo 755 sized phone (maybe a little thinner) with a new OS, but it's not out yet, and I wanted something new, so I jumped to BB. So far, I've been somewhat satisfied. I haven't gone out and tested all the software for it, mainly because I can't download and sync it over like I could with Palm OS (I have a Mac, no support yet), but there is a lot of software out there. I'm hoping to keep it until Nova comes out and switch to that.
  5.    #5  
    Indeed will need to hit the pavement and go check out what the various cell providers have and just play with some of the phones to see what I like and am willing to spend. Guess sprint may allow me to extend to a 3yr contract and provide a lower price point on a phone, then again maybe not. Palm OS is older then me, it feels, and I'm 51 already ! Though still it does things with such few pressing of the buttons that I know without really trying a wm OS would be a pain compared to palm.

That's ok there is normally a wall or two around so if she keeps limping along as is I will try to get by til I figure out a game plan. Maybe some turkey day sales on phones will come our way this year
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Go to the phone app. Hit the menu button, go to "options" then "Phone Info".

Look at "Hardware:" It'll either read "A" or "B".

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Sprint$ $755p$'$s$ $are$ $the$ $only$ $units$ $that$ $have$ $reached$ $the$ &$quot$;$B$&$quot$; $hardware$ $revision$ $point$. $I$ $used$ $two$ $them$ $quite$ $extensively$ $a$ $while$ $back$ $and$ $noticed$ $some$ $small$ $but$ $nice$ $improvements$ $over$ $my$ &$quot$;$A$&$quot$; $Verizon$ $755p$ $and$ $a$ $older$ &$quot$;$A$&$quot$; $Sprint$ $755p$ $I$ $had$ $review$ $a$ $while$ $back$.

The "B" 755p's (only in blue, no burgundy "B" models offered AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $had$ $brighter$ $LCDs$, $louder$ $earpiece$ &$amp$; $speakerphone$ $volumes$, $and$ $had$ $slightly$ $less$ $lag$ $when$ $switching$ $between$ $apps$. $It$ $wasn$'$t$ $as$ $snappy$ $as$ $a$ $Centro$, $of$ $course$, $but$ $it$ $was$ $faster$ $than$ $an$ $equivalent$ $ROM$ $version$ &$quot$;$A$&$quot$; $hardware$ $755p$.

Again, picking up a cheap used 755p or Centro might be the best way to go right now. And you could still sell your dead 755p for a few bucks to someone who might need it for tinkering or spare parts. Keep all of your accessories and hope for the best.

For what it's worth, I sold two like-new "B" revision Sprint 755p's with a small accessory bundle for approx $135-$145 apiece a few months ago. So you might be able to pick up a decent 755p right now for a bit over $100...

Or if you are in good account standing with Sprint and have been a customer for a while, call the Retentions Dept. or go to a local corporate store and politely raise he11 with them and see what they can do to accomodate you. 755p's might be in short supply now but at worst maybe they can hook you up with a cheap Centro and you can still use your existing apps, PIM data and chargers.

Good luck!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  7.    #7  
    Thats you two for the relplies and input. Will drop by a Sprint corporate store this weekend and see if they can do anything for me.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by motor View Post
    maybe I'm older then I realized...
    I hope it has not only been one year ago since I upgraded to this model but heck maybe that is the case. if so I'm screwed since I have no insurance on the phone but do have a contact for another year with them
    Three options:
    1) There is a 1y warranty, or at least it used to say so on the Palm web site (under support somewhere). Sprint handles warranty claims, though they'll probably still charge you $35 to do an advanced exchange.
    2) Sprint does give a 1y discount, I think it's half the 2y ($75). You can check your rebate eligibility, it is very high up on Google but I don't have the link, sorry.
    3) Corporate stores will do light repairs on phones, even if you don't have insurance, for a fee ($35-75 I think).

If you wind up with a new phone, even if it is a warranty replacement, add the insurance within 30 days. I learned it the hard way too.

Hopefully by now you know this from the people in the store, if they told you something else go rattle their cage a bit.

Good luck,
    -TC