1.    #1  
    Mods, please move this topic if you feel it's better home'd in Palm Apps, Cross-Platform Chat or the iPhone area

I'd like to keep this first post updated with a mapping of PalmOS apps to their comparable iPhone equivalents. A reality check if you would, of how the two platforms compare for those apps we PalmOS users couldn't live without.

I've started the list with my current favourites, please let me know what iPhone apps perform an equal or better job, and also what applications you'd like to add to the list and hopefully we'll create a valuable resource for people who are contemplating making the switch.

Key :
    = No current equivalent application
    = Online WebApp only

PalmOS <---> iPhoneOS
    4cast --- Weather
    Calendar --- Calendar
    Callrec ---
    ChatterEmail --- Mail
    Facebook --- Facebook
    GoogleMaps --- GoogleMaps
    IPcalc+ --- aSubnet
    iSilo --- iSilo
    Memos --- Notes
    Métro --- Métro
    Minuteur2 --- ?
    QuickNews --- ?
    SplashID --- SplashID
    StockManager --- ?
    Tasks (aka Todo) --- Nothing available which syncs with iCal or Mail Todo's !?
    TomeRaider (for wikipedia) --- wiki2touch
    TomTom ---
    Softick Audio Gateway (A2DP) ---

iPhone drawbacks:
    1. The App Store doesn't provide the ability to demo an application, making it expensive to find a suitable application as you must buy before you try.
    2. The in-built Notes application has no syncing ability and no categories (see link above).

NB. This is a one way comparison of which PalmOS applications have equivalent apps available on the iPhone, I'm NOT going to list what an iPhone can do that a PalmOS smartphone cannot.
    Last edited by tomtastic; 01/13/2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added DF link regarding lack of trial or demo from iTunes Store
  2.    #2  
    99 views and no replies so far.
    So it's not looking good for the iPhone in terms of functionality.

Does anyone have a favourite PalmOS apps they'd like to see on the iPhone which isn't listed yet ?
    iSilo is on the iphone. You are talking to a bunch of Treo-nuts, BTW
    iSilo is on the iphone. You are talking to a bunch of Treo-nuts, BTW
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the iSilo tip, its interesting for me at least to see how few of the apps I use everyday on my Treo have comparable apps on the iPhone.
    Glad I have a spare Treo680, because the iPhone doesn't look like an attractive platform to 'upgrade' to just yet
    as someone else said. How many flashlight apps can you have?
    :P
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Well let's see

Memos = Notes

Metro = Several apps in the App Store that do this sort of thing,

Stock Manager = Stocks (if you just want to -see- how they're doing) and probably some other apps in the appstore if you do a search

QuickNews = several RSS reader apps in the appstore

Tasks = Several ToDo list apps in the app store

TomeRaider = There are several eBook readers in the app store, but I prefer Stanza. Stanza supports the MobiBook format, among others, most of mine are in and it's fairly easy to get the books onto your iphone/ipod.

TomTom = There won't be one for the foreseeable future, Apple's SDK agreement won't let developers make one.

There are equivalent apps on the iPhone/iPod Touch for just about anything you do on your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    There are equivalent apps on the iPhone/iPod Touch for just about anything you do on your Treo.
    Any that allow you to "copy & paste"?
    TIA
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Memos = Notes

Metro = Several apps in the App Store that do this sort of thing,

Stock Manager = Stocks (if you just want to -see- how they're doing) and probably some other apps in the appstore if you do a search

Tasks = Several ToDo list apps in the app store

TomeRaider = There are several eBook readers in the app store, but I prefer Stanza. Stanza supports the MobiBook format, among others, most of mine are in and it's fairly easy to get the books onto your iphone/ipod.
    The memo app on the iPhone, does everything appear in goofy comic sans?

I'd be interested to hear of a particular app that matches Metro and its international maps.

I'll search for a comparable stock tracking app, I know Stocks will show me the current price, but I can't track portfolio movements with that.

The main thing I use Tomeraider for is Wikipedia and IMDB, is there an app that can handle those large databases on the iPhone. I don't want to have to go online to view them at their respective URLs.

Oh, and can I trial any of the apps for the iPhone, or do you have to buy them before you can check them out properly ?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    The memo app on the iPhone, does everything appear in goofy comic sans?
    Yeah...I guess. Personally I don't use "Notes" on my iPod Touch. I'm sure there's a bunch of other memo/notes apps in the App Store. Memo Book is one. Evernote is an online based/synced service.

I'd be interested to hear of a particular app that matches Metro and its international maps.
    I don't use that type of app so I wouldn't know, you'd have to do some searching through the App Store. I just know I've seen a lot of those type of apps there.

I'll search for a comparable stock tracking app, I know Stocks will show me the current price, but I can't track portfolio movements with that.
    I'm not really seeing anything other than stock tracker apps. There's one, StockWatch, that you supposedly can customize 'portfolios' in that you can look at. Most of the rest don't seem to have that kind of capability

The main thing I use Tomeraider for is Wikipedia and IMDB, is there an app that can handle those large databases on the iPhone. I don't want to have to go online to view them at their respective URLs.
    There are many wikipedia clients for the iPhone/iPod touch. Some free, most not. There is at least one that has the complete wikipedia (which it has to download on first run, is about 2 GB - so better do it over wifi) in a local copy on your iPhone...but really, why -wouldn't- you have a data connection with this thing?

As for IMDB, there are several 'movie' apps that will access the info from some sort of online movie database, be it IMDB or something else. I use Showtimes. It's free, will give you movie showing times at theatres based on your current location and does give links to IMDB's website. For that matter you could just use Safari to go to IMDB directly. It's not a bad user experience on the iPod/iPhone

Oh, and can I trial any of the apps for the iPhone, or do you have to buy them before you can check them out properly ?
    There are some developers that have 'lite' editions of their products for free, but by in large, no - there is no 'demo' versions of anything. no 'try before you buy'. Probably because Apple didn't either allow the developers to do so via the SDK agreement or they just didn't make that functionality available via the AppStore in iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTIger
    Any that allow you to "copy & paste"?
    No official AppStore apps, no. Apple doesn't allow it.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    With the apps listed above it seems like the iPhone has a bit of the edge. But let's not give up with the PalmOS just yet.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I was a hardcore Treo user for years (300, 600, 650, 700p) and finally jumped ship to the iPhone. I had a lot of money in PalmOS apps and Treo accessories, so jumping was pretty hard to do. I am a very frequent business traveler and had my Treo decked out with all sorts of apps.

Long story short - I have completely replaced my Treo and am quite happy.

No, the iPhone is not perfect - copy/paste being one of it's more glaring flaws - but I have to be honest here: I got rid of a lot of annoying Treo issues for good when I upgraded. For example - the iPhone has not ONCE crashed and rebooted in the middle of a phone call. EVER. The Treo did it often enough to be a major pain. I also have been able to use every Bluetooth headset I've cared to pair - with no static, no worrying about which side of my body the Treo was on, etc. It just plain works (including with all the BT headsets I bought that didn't work with the Treo).

Between webapps and the App Store, I've replaced all of the Treo apps I cared about. I also managed to get rid of my Archos; I can now watch movies/listen to music on the plane with the iPhone and only keep one device charged - and trust me, the iPhone makes movie watching FUN again, not torture trying to get it converted and all. I also never cared about WiFi when I had a Treo... But I'm totally sold on it now.

If you want to see what webapps are available, go to http://www.appshopper.com.

Overall, I like the App Store experience better than working with a slew of different vendors as I did with the Treo. No more reg codes to remember, no more checking a zillion places to see if there are updates.. And over the air installs aren't a kludge through the IR beam like they were on PalmOS.

Just about every objection I had against the iPhone has been solved either through updates or the App Store. Just today, we got a new firmware update that added Street View to Google Maps - cool stuff.

The iPhone's not for everyone -- heck, I didn't think it was for me when it first came out -- but after close to a year with one, there's no way I'd go back to PalmOS (or, for that matter, a Palm product at all, given their survival outlook).

I'm not familiar with all the Treo apps mentioned or I would try to offer iPhone equivalents, sorry.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G