Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Same old "sky falling" article... one day an article will stick...

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...852671,00.html

For hundreds of U.S. companies, the federal bailout may be too little, too late. Bankers, lawyers and credit analysts say the government's plan to invest billions into the nation's banks is doing little to ease the credit crunch for U.S. businesses. The result, they say, is that many companies now struggling to get financing may soon be out of business. "In the past few weeks, lending has been getting tighter, not looser," says Larry Flick, a partner at law firm Blank Rome, which helps companies get financing. "All the moves the government is making to end the credit crisis may have a trickle-down effect, but I am not seeing it yet."

In a report released Tuesday, ratings agency Standard & Poor's says there are 140 large U.S. companies in danger of not being able to pay their bills in the next few months, up nearly twofold from the beginning of this year. Among the troubled firms on the agency's list are such household names as clothing retailer Eddie Bauer, amusement park operator Six Flags and pizza chain Sbarro. Also on the list are doughnut baker Krispy Kreme and mobile technology titan Palm, as well as a number of the nation's largest airlines, including JetBlue and the corporate parents of United and American.
    Personally, I never see palm "going away" but maybe a good purchase for someone looking for a strong brand and respected name.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Just read this artilce on time.com:

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...852671,00.html

In a nutshell, it reports that Standard & Poor's has listed 140 large US companies that are in danger of not being able to pay their bills over the next few months, and Palm is one of them.

Who knows what effect this could have on future support for the 800w, not to mention their other products. Although I am still going to keep mine.
    I really doubt Palm will go completely out of business. Someone will buy them out first. If nothing else the Palm brand name is still worth some $$$, as well as the patent portfolio Palm has.

I could see HTC picking up Palm, or a possible merger (maybe the Pro is preparing us for that?). Oooh, rumors abound!
    Agree with Ebag, but hope they don't go the route of Bell & Howell, Poloroid, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I really doubt Palm will go completely out of business. Someone will buy them out first. If nothing else the Palm brand name is still worth some $$$, as well as the patent portfolio Palm has.

I could see HTC picking up Palm, or a possible merger (maybe the Pro is preparing us for that?). Oooh, rumors abound!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I also doubt that Palm will go away completely. However, a cash crunch might result in short term priorities and decisions that could leave us a bit frustrated.
    Once upon a time some people thought Enron would never die too!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Once upon a time some people thought Enron would never die too!
    Yeah and that collapse was due to economy right???? That was pure greed within company and unethical tactics from upper management. I would say there was some stupidity and mistakes on part of Palm's upper management in regards to OS and hardware but the way Palm is rebounding with the product line in the market and in 2009 I do not think Palm would go out of business yet. But I should say this, one more product launch like Foleo and Palm may go down for good
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    In todays economy of course they can go under. The reason the stock market is in turmoil right now is due to major companies not making their numbers. Palm last year lost over 16% overall. A couple more years of this and they will be gone or snatched up. They did get $324 Million from an investment firm. The 800 is not going to save the Company. Many of us are on a second device (I'm on number 3). Many bailed on the 800 or had a defect. The Treo Pro could help but its unbranded. They need to get it on a major network in order to make some money (probably the reason why it is being tested for CDMA). Releasing a device or 2 devices every two years will kill a Company since the competition can do 2-3 devices every 1-1.3 years. Using the same design over and over is also a killer. I for one hope they can survive but they need better quality devices with a cool design and maybe bring something new to the table (HTC is bringing a VGA screen, 3.2 MP Camera). Right now there line up isn't anything new.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    They don't appear to be in very good shape right now after looking at their latest earnings. They lost quite a bit of money this year...in the $40 million range. Although they have quite a bit of assets to withstand that loss this year. I don't think they will be going out of business soon. Who knows though.
    I knew someone would mention that Enron fell because of corruption. The point is, regardless of the reason, plenty of companies that people "feel" won't go under do go under. And many more projected to go under do go under.

I'm personally more concerned about Sprint staying afloat than Palm. Typically a good device last me fine till I decide to upgrade to another and my current Treo 800w is fine.
    the Brand name has value but this has been written on the wall for some time. I could see a successful player picking them up. HTC makes sense on several levels. Given the identification with the HTC labeled brand and full screen devices HTC could keep the treo form factor which has a lot of adherents for functional reasons and goes up directly up against the similar blackberry form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Using the same design over and over is also a killer.
    I have to say I don't really agree with this. I think the form factor is their only advantage. It doesn't cover the full market or most of the market, but the form follows function and habitual users of this form, and there are a lot, are unlikely to change to a touch screen at current touch screen technology or slider.
    While I agree with pretty much the rest of your post, I highly disagree with this.

I've had plenty of opportunity to switch form factors (and even played around with some of them extensively). Simply put Palm's fits my needs the best.

Palm is well recognized for it's design. It'd be like complaining about Jeep's because they all look the same, or how Window's has kept the same basic look and feel since 2.0 (at least until Vista, something that MS caught a lot of backlash on).

It's a tough business because people don't like change, but at the same time want something new and fresh. Those are really opposing desires, and trying to meet both is something even the best companies stumble on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    While I agree with pretty much the rest of your post, I highly disagree with this.

I've had plenty of opportunity to switch form factors (and even played around with some of them extensively). Simply put Palm's fits my needs the best.

Palm is well recognized for it's design. It'd be like complaining about Jeep's because they all look the same, or how Window's has kept the same basic look and feel since 2.0 (at least until Vista, something that MS caught a lot of backlash on).

It's a tough business because people don't like change, but at the same time want something new and fresh. Those are really opposing desires, and trying to meet both is something even the best companies stumble on.
    Well said. Even better put than my point.
    The problem with our business ethics as a whole is, if you are making money that is good, no matter what you do, if you are losing it, CORRUPTION!
    How many times are big money making companies hit with corruption charges?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    The problem with our business ethics as a whole is, if you are making money that is good, no matter what you do, if you are losing it, CORRUPTION!
    How many times are big money making companies hit with corruption charges?
    That might be because the corruption is found after the company goes BOOM!

I don't agree with your assessment anyway... sure I could find plenty of circumstances where companies were found corrupt before going totally BOOM.

Of course, they replace those people and move on with their regular course of business. I'd venture to say, the company may not even report the corruption, if a publicly traded company, unless it is deep and something they can't look past. I'd guess an option would be to let the person resign and move on with business.

But then, who knows... we could if it all night....

To bring this around, I don't think palm's management was corrupt... I think they were not very good managers. Big difference. Does not matter now....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    He's 100% correct. While some of us enjoy it, most consumers don't. The topic in this particular thread is a company's survival, not personal preference.

The numbers don't lie, we see what is selling and what's being overlooked.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I hate to see any company fold, but if they get bought or whatever I hope its someone with some innovation who takes them.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    He's 100% correct. While some of us enjoy it, most consumers don't. The topic in this particular thread is a company's survival, not personal preference.

The numbers don't lie, we see what is selling and what's being overlooked.
    I'm not completely sure about that. Samsung does the same design over and over with Blackjacks and it's similar to Palm Treo. Blackjacks sell pretty well, so it would seem, even though they've had complaints too.

Samsung took the same Treo-like form factor and made it slimmer BEFORE the Pro ever came out. Plus they lowered the price and still offered a professional device for those who can deal with the Standard version of WM. Now they have the Epix, same Blackjack form factor, but with full WM 6.1 Pro and features same as the Treo Pro, for $100 less. And let's not forget the many forms of the Motorola Q. And how about the popularity of the Dash, another Treo-like form factor? RIM's Curve looks like the Treo form factor, modified of course, but still. And even on Palm's own front, the Centro sold more than the Treo apparently.

I think many consumers DO prefer the Treo form factor, but the price for what they were getting is what didn't help the Treo. The Treo was thicker and less attractive in many people's eyes, plus did not have all the up-to-date features and too many bugs, but still commanded a high price.

I hate to say it, but personally I think Palm needs to offer up the Treo Pro as a subsidized phone to gain some ground on the Treo front, at least in the US. People here still look at price as a determining factor. If you have others selling lower priced, thin fully featured phones, even if locked to carriers, people here will buy them first. I certainly don't favor butchered ROMs and firmware, but it may be the only way for Palm to gain some ground again for it's Treos, since the Pro is the Treo they should have released a LONG time ago. But $550 is steep for a lot of people.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. UserOne
    I was going to post a long diatribe here, but after reading Diva's post I feel she put it much better than I ever could. So, I'm just going to add my "what she said" post here hehe.

Very well put, Diva.

L8R
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast