Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    And the treodeathwatchers continue..lol

I've read the doom and gloom but yet...there's not a competitor out there with a suitable replacement for a Centro without compromising on features or form factor.

There's not a WM phone out there that is a suitable replacement for a palm treo tro or 800w without compromising on palm's superior form factor.

Palm sure takes its share of pot shots from you guys, but yet palm remains relevant to you or you wouldn't be here.

The chicken littles can continue to moan about what palm didn't do in recent years but its been discussed to death. I could sit and pick on the competitors just as well and whine about what they're not doing or what they didn't do right. But unless palm announces they're closing shop, let it go. Stating the obvious over and over is getting old and quite frankly, i'm sure Palm knows by now what it needs to do.
    1. Of course there's no replacement for the Centro. No other manufacturer seems to want to use Palm OS on any phone anymore.

2. The Epix, a very good replacement for WM Treos.

3. And Palm apparently DOESN'T know what to do because they haven't done it yet and NOW is the time. They keep losing market share yet sit on their hands.

I'm really disappointed in how Palm is turning out. Whether they go down or get bought out, it's looking like one or the other by 2010. You'd better hope Nova does very well because that is their last remaining hope.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I've read the doom and gloom but yet...there's not a competitor out there with a suitable replacement for a Centro without compromising on features or form factor.

There's not a WM phone out there that is a suitable replacement for a palm treo tro or 800w without compromising on palm's superior form factor.

Palm sure takes its share of pot shots from you guys, but yet palm remains relevant to you or you wouldn't be here.

The chicken littles can continue to moan about what palm didn't do in recent years but its been discussed to death. I could sit and pick on the competitors just as well and whine about what they're not doing or what they didn't do right. But unless palm announces they're closing shop, let it go. Stating the obvious over and over is getting old and quite frankly, i'm sure Palm knows by now what it needs to do.

Now this is hilarious. You've got a hopeless palm fanboy/chicken little here defending his favorite keystone cops again. Who are you to dictate how people voice their opinions? I'd say your tendency to keep DEFENDING palm over and over again is getting old and quite frankly until they prove they can turn it around, YOU should let it go. You don't like the topic then just stay out of the thread. Stop whining and moaning about how others are picking on your favorite team.

I think you missed the part where most buyers said they don't want the Centro or 800w. Palm has been unable to provide competition that is suitable for enough of the buying public. That would be why they are in 3rd place and nearing bankruptcy.

By the way, this is selling like crazy while the 800w is not Sprint's hottest seller. And it simply is better as the review notes.

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Who are you to dictate how people voice their opinions?
    Well you know there's a double standard at work. If we're all speaking happy talk about Palm there would be no complaints about our words, but if we say things that are not so happy about Palm, then we're told to stop saying what everyone already knows .

We all were hoping Palm knew what they "needed to do" for a long time, but the sales are showing they don't.

There's no rule at the door that says someone speaking at TC must speak happily about Palm or not speak.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I suppose my loyalty to Palm has been worn down (due to Palms extreme efforts to accomplish this), what I want is someone to give me a nice phone that will allow me to run my Palm based applications. I have invested SO much into Palm apps I just can't imagine moving on! Yes, many that extend Palm OS could go if the new platform negated their usefulness, but I really want to keep my core apps going forward. I hope for the best for Palm, but I'll take anyone that lets me keep my 12 years of Palm "Stuff".
    Scott_L, on Window Mobile you could use StyleTap to continue using your Palm OS applications.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    True darnell. I suppose I should have said anything/anybody except WinMob. Seriously, I'm not looking for any battles here, but I want a much leaner platform. I've only had 2 WinMob devices (each for a very short time) and just didn't care for it. POS is near perfect and I suppose a Linux variant would be next. I truly hope Palm pulls off Nova. Worst case I may someday end up on WinMob though. One never knows...

I am not so sure about that, How bout the auto execs.
    Analysts now give palm a meager 10 - 30 % chance of recovering!

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/tic...35&Symbol=PALM
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I think you missed the part where most buyers said they don't want the Centro or 800w. Palm has been unable to provide competition that is suitable for enough of the buying public. That would be why they are in 3rd place and nearing bankruptcy.

By the way, this is selling like crazy while the 800w is not Sprint's hottest seller. And it simply is better as the review notes.

Well you know there's a double standard at work. If we're all speaking happy talk about Palm there would be no complaints about our words, but if we say things that are not so happy about Palm, then we're told to stop saying what everyone already knows .

We all were hoping Palm knew what they "needed to do" for a long time, but the sales are showing they don't.

There's no rule at the door that says someone speaking at TC must speak happily about Palm or not speak.
    Amen. Thank you, Darnell.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman View Post
    Great point, but this is Palm we're talking about. Not exactly a model of innovation.

As to Colligan's point about having a strong cash position, any CEO will say that so as to not scare the investors. There was a recording of an earnings call made by the CEO of AIG saying the exact same thing a week before the company was about to go bust. Of course we all know had to drag his a$$ in front of Congress to get a piece of that $700B pie. Not saying Palm is in this dire of a position, just that company execs will say whatever they need in order to appease nervous shareholders. However having a private equity group behind them certainly helps.
    When I worked for Lehman Brothers, every e-mail about quarterly results was always glowing. Total BS. Look where it is now.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    It doesn't matter what Palm hasn't done in recent years. What matters is what it does right now. At the current rate of decline in its stock price, the company is in danger of being delisted from NYSE and NASDAQ within weeks. Palm no longer has the luxury of keeping the details of any upcoming products under wraps for "the first half of 2009." Palm has killed Garnet for loyalists, is competing with VGA touchscreen products in the WM market, and currently has no new products announced. The only leaked product is the Sprint Treo Pro, and since Palm has a long history of leaking info on upcoming products, the fact that there isn't so much as a screenshot of Nova in circulation -- let alone a device -- should be a red flag for everyone concerned.

Given the content-free product roadmap the company has outlined for the public, Palm may know what it needs to do, but clearly isn't doing it, and probably won't without an open letter from Engadget. By or during the investor relations call on the 18th, Palm is going to have to give investors a reason not to cut their losses.
    I hope Palm gets bought out instead of folding entirely. Someone else can revamp Palm into it's old glory.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I hope Palm gets bought out instead of folding entirely. Someone else can revamp Palm into it's old glory.
    Ed Colligan must be launched like a patriot missile from the Ceo`s seat into somewhere far, far away, and everybody at palm should be replaced. Everybody.
    Folks, From a conversation with a Source I will leave annoymous, I am getting the impression from former Palm Employees that the Company is beyond Major Trouble right now.

The Development Staff seems to be taking direction from an Asian Company off Shore. The Asian Reigns seem to be driving the direction for Palm.

The Asian direction is what is keeping everything in turmoil.

Even solid internal Staff are leaving Palm. People that were at My company and left for Palm are even now in a Down Economy Leaving Palm and moving on to other companies as they see the same thing happening at Palm that happened at my company. Off Shoring of the product.

Yes for years the product was created overseas and sold here but the brain trust was always kept here. Now it seems that the brain trust may only be the architects and the true rubber meeting the road people likely are in Korea as the form factor of the most recently leaked photos is Korea. An old photo circa October. But still old.

If this holds true Korea likely is the location that is driving the boat here. Korea has been using the T design Swivel phones for some time and watching video on their phones for a long time. If this indeed is the direction things are headed then it is possibile that Palm could vault back to the top again.

However, I do not think there is a phone company in the US that has an infrastructure able to support realtime video phone at the Cell Phone level. Face it 3 G is good. But with everyone expecting to use 3G for Video Phone once that kind of product would roll, I do not think the networks would be able to handle that kind of load. We would need a Fios style Fiber Network everywhere for that to work.

Until Obama unleashes his plans of Fiber everywhere and puts the money behind doing it, I doubt that video phones everywhere will be possible. We do not have the band width available to make that happen. I do not care what compression you use to make it happen.

Heck it would end up having to compete with Television feeds over the internet as that is what is being prepared now so that news and video can travel quickly from here to there.

I would love to see it. But do not think the infrastructure required to make it happen is in place.

Regards,

Cary
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
  16.    #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by carydc View Post
    Folks, From a conversation with a Source I will leave annoymous
    Brokaw, is that you? Or maybe a cnn iReporter!!! LOL

people likely are in Korea as the form factor of the most recently leaked photos is Korea.
    Yes, maybe the same people who made the Genesis! If this is right, palm can't go wrong!

However, I do not think there is a phone company in the US that has an infrastructure able to support realtime video phone at the Cell Phone level. Face it 3 G is good. But with everyone expecting to use 3G for Video Phone once that kind of product would roll, I do not think the networks would be able to handle that kind of load.
    WiMax/Sprint would be a good fit, no?

By the time the new Palm ships, wimax should be in all 50 states. ROFL
    Last edited by theog; 12/08/2008 at 09:54 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

Yes, maybe the same people who made the Genesis! If this is right, palm can't go wrong!

If this is what you're talking about, if that's a "twist" to get the keyboard type device. I hate those "twist" keyboards more than sliders. Can't say I'd want one.
    I would buy one but I wouldn't be happy about it... And unless it did something spectacular it would likely be the last palm product I would ever buy... It had better be able to run software written for the old OS straight out of the box... I gotta have my epocrites...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

It seems Palm is Finally saying something.

Be at CES and attend the Big Announcement at the Venitian Hotel.

All that is said is:

From Palm to attend a press event at the forthcoming Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas in January 2009 which the company claims will finally allow me to “see all that Palm New-ness you’ve been waiting for”…

Palm will categorically not even hint at what exactly all the “New-ness” it will unveil at CES might be but people at the company are giving assurances that “it will definitely be worth it”, that “it will not disappoint” and that “it’s not a new color for the Centro”…

So Only Time will tell as to Exactly what will be revealed.

Pretty much the announcement is to see if we will wait until then to see what the announcement is so that we hold off spending big money for Christmas and wait until Palm decides to let us in on their BIG Secret.
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    It better be Nova. And it needs to get out before WM6.5 and 7.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast