Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 235
  1. #141  
    Interesting read: Is Palm Past the Turnaround Point?

    Every analyst out there is basically saying Palm is going to have to be acquired, or they'll die.
  2. #142  
    Palm warns on 2Q revenue, shares drop aftermarket
    SUNNYVALE, Calif. (AP) - Palm Inc. said late Monday it expects revenue for its fiscal second quarter to come in below Wall Street expectations and plans to cut quarterly expenses by $20 million.

    The maker of the Treo smart phone forecast revenue of $190 million to $195 million, compared with analyst estimates of $330.8 million, according to Thomson Reuters.

    That would mean a revenue decline of at least 46 percent from first-quarter revenue of $366.90 million and about a 44 percent decline from the same period a year ago when revenue came in at $349.63.
    ...
    Shares dove by 31 cents, or more than 16 percent, to $1.57 in after-hours trading. The stock ended regular trading off 51 cents, or 21 percent, at $1.88 amid a broader market sell-off. Over the past year, shares have ranged between $1.64 and $8.94.
  3. #143  
    It's now December. There better be news about Nova this month or else it's Adios Palm!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Interesting read: Is Palm Past the Turnaround Point?

    Every analyst out there is basically saying Palm is going to have to be acquired, or they'll die.
    What say you, Malatesta?
    You can practically hear the roof above Palm beginning to buckle. The next release, whatever that may be, will be Palm`s final move. You`ll remember where you were when you hear the news.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/01/2008 at 10:27 PM.
  5. #145  
    They should have offered the Treo Pro a LOT earlier, instead of the clunky looking 800w, to Sprint IMO. Also the GSM version should have been offered subsidized in the US along with unlocked.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #146  
    Business model for the Centro?

    Two not-so-bright brothers owned a pickup truck and thought they could make money with it buying watermelons in the next town for $1 and selling them back home for $1.

    Their business proved very popular and every day they filled their truck to capacity and sold every watermelon they bought. But after a few weeks, they began to see that they weren't making any money. In fact, after buying the watermelons and paying for gas for the truck, they were actually losing money.

    So they called a consultant to analyze their business in the hopes of finding out what they were doing wrong.

    After a thorough examination including much number-crunching and forecasting, the consultant came back with his report.

    "I can see that you're buying watermelons over in the next town for $1 and selling them here for $1 and losing money even though you're selling all the watermelons your truck can hold," the consultant told them.

    "We know that," the brothers said. "But what should we do about it?"

    "The solution is obvious," answered the consultant. "You need a bigger truck."
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    It's now December. There better be news about Nova this month or else it's Adios Palm!
    en espanol - “no va” (literally “doesn’t go”)... hmmm...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  8. #148  
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That basically says it all. Not only does the stock deserve to be taken out back, but Colligan and the gang need to be brought out back and schooled as well. Inept monkeys playing CEO and executive roles. Its a sitcom really
  10. #150  
    Stubborn monkeys also applies.

    Strike 1. Remember a couple of years ago when Palm said they will not be adding built in wifi until the time is right, when some other phones already had it on and customers were demanding it? The time period they were holding back was actually the time period to add it because US 3G really wasn't that great at the time, and they were relying on that alone.

    Strike 2. Older Treos had far too many bugs for the price. Customers should not be beta testers for a supposed final product. Yet they didn't seem to truly fix the bugs on current models, just continued to release new Treos(with still more bugs). Also they went on for quite a while releasing low memory phones at a premium price.

    Which brings us to Strike 3. They also used to keep saying their form factor works and they will NOT be changing it. As a result, their thick design got somewhat stale and people got bored with Treos and lost a lot of interest. RIM however had sense enough to see that people were leaning toward smaller and thinner and streamlined. The Centro and Pro are actually late to the table with their smaller thinner designs, since many had already moved on. The time to do those 2 model designs was with the 680 and 750, IMO.

    Honorable mention. The underwhelming Foleo and the fact that it took valuable time and resources away from Nova.

    Stubborness and refusal to accept changes just about have killed Palm.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Stubborn monkeys also applies.

    Strike 1. Remember a couple of years ago when Palm said they will not be adding built in wifi until the time is right, when some other phones already had it on and customers were demanding it? The time period they were holding back was actually the time period to add it because US 3G really wasn't that great at the time, and they were relying on that alone.

    Strike 2. Older Treos had far too many bugs for the price. Customers should not be beta testers for a supposed final product. Yet they didn't seem to truly fix the bugs on current models, just continued to release new Treos(with still more bugs). Also they went on for quite a while releasing low memory phones at a premium price.

    Which brings us to Strike 3. They also used to keep saying their form factor works and they will NOT be changing it. As a result, their thick design got somewhat stale and people got bored with Treos and lost a lot of interest. RIM however had sense enough to see that people were leaning toward smaller and thinner and streamlined. The Centro and Pro are actually late to the table with their smaller thinner designs, since many had already moved on. The time to do those 2 model designs was with the 680 and 750, IMO.

    Honorable mention. The underwhelming Foleo and the fact that it took valuable time and resources away from Nova.

    Stubborness and refusal to accept changes just about have killed Palm.

    Could not have been better SAID!!

    Well, I guess we could add in a different way is that Palm did not take care of it's customer base. Now we will have to go to the G1 or that guy that promises to rewrite the Palm OS Software. Maybe we should invest in His Company!
  12. #152  
    Thank you!

    This is similar to what hurt Motorola's cell division badly, refusal to look past the RAZR and all it's incarnations. I don't know why Palm didn't look a bit sooner at what was going on at Moto to see the writing on the wall. And maybe vice versa. Both companies had blinders on, I guess. And even Moto had more innovative phones than Palm, they just were RAZR copies with good features, but people were sick of that model
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. stuy119's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thank you!

    This is similar to what hurt Motorola's cell division badly, refusal to look past the RAZR and all it's incarnations. I don't know why Palm didn't look a bit sooner at what was going on at Moto to see the writing on the wall. And maybe vice versa. Both companies had blinders on, I guess. And even Moto had more innovative phones than Palm, they just were RAZR copies with good features, but people were sick of that model
    That raises an interesting point about the speed of technology. It seems that phones are "new" for about a year to 18 months, and then there needs to be a "latest and greatest" to replace it within the brand itself. Brand loyalty is almost a goner, with the exception of the two leaders, RIM and Apple. Everyone else has to innovate to keep the attention on themselves, or they're going to lose marketshare.
  14. #154  
    Motorola could have put the features they offered into another phone type besides the RAZR model and it's cousins, and the cell division could have survived. Those were actually GOOD features. They actually did release "new" phones but all based on the RAZR model. That was where they went wrong IMO.

    Palm not only stayed with the same model but also had NO new features for a LONG time. They didn't even try to innovate.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #155  
    I got my 1st PDA (Palm Pilot) in1996. It had a great PIM base.
    12 years later,my Centro has basically the same PIM.
  16. #156  
    Double post
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/02/2008 at 08:05 PM.
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    . Those were actually GOOD features. They actually did release "new" phones but all based on the RAZR model. That was where they went wrong IMO.

    Palm not only stayed with the same model but also had NO new features for a LONG time. They didn't even try to innovate.
    You're hitting the nail right on the head here! They needed new form factors, a new OS and effective marketing years ago. Now, they are like an old locomotive slowly and steadily chugging to a halt.

    To think they had the world by the *** back in the day. The enthusiasm of software developers as well as smartphone users. Everyone's imaginations ran wild with possible new palm concepts and revolutionary communications devices.

    Then these incompetents go and get complacent with an attitude of " we've done enough, the market doesn't need more even though they are shouting for it".

    Meanwhile Rimm zooms past them like a bullet train as they lay around sipping their martinis. Colligan denigrates Apple's chances of success before the iphone debuts, and Apple promptly kicks his *** roundly.

    It goes to show you he has no idea what he's doing or what he's talking about. No grasp of his field.
    The guy is an embarrassment..

    Hawkins is the one who REALLY surprised me with his bonehead ideas.

    How can an individual of his intelligence bungle a successful product line so grossly?!!!

    There is a multitude of problems making up the chaos that is palm, but I feel the biggest issues at the base of that mess are, as you've said, stubbornness and complacency.


    I think they KNOW they've utterly screwed an incredible opportunity to command the smartphone space. From their very own form factor, a unique OS and a family of developers, they had it ALL....

    Those opportunities don't come around every day, and yet they cavalierly blew it all off like kids blowing off their classes.

    They deserve to be shut down and dismissed.
    Last edited by treobk214; 12/02/2008 at 11:36 PM.
  18. #158  
    My take on Palm.

    Link
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome View Post
    My take on Palm.

    Link
    An accurate take. I'd say the majority in this thread and within the market are largely in agreement on the company. Palm was supposed to take off like a rocket but instead staged a monumental bellyflop.

    You are right. The goal was indeed to put a smartphone into every household, as microsoft achieved with its PC. Palm had all the necessary groundwork laid out to accomplish that objective in the early stages, but the failures that followed were nothing short of gutwrenching.

    Its an incredible shame, but you just hope some other company steps up to achieve what they were unwilling and / or unable to.
  20. JayC3's Avatar
    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thank you!

    This is similar to what hurt Motorola's cell division badly, refusal to look past the RAZR and all it's incarnations. I don't know why Palm didn't look a bit sooner at what was going on at Moto to see the writing on the wall. And maybe vice versa. Both companies had blinders on, I guess. And even Moto had more innovative phones than Palm, they just were RAZR copies with good features, but people were sick of that model
    I think that's Palm's main problem. They lack the vision and will to execute (on time). They may have great ideas, but if can't execute them properly, its of no use to you (or your customers) at all.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions