Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    I would like to make a humble suggestion to everyone reading this: jump ship now; give up your Treo/Centro and go with a proven winner.

In July, I left my beloved Treo 700p and bought the iPhone 3g. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy transition, but I survived. It's not so much that I wanted to switch-- it's that I HAD to switch. Believe me, there are still some things that my 700p could do that I wish my iPhone could do (copy & paste, 4 pillars of PIM, video record) but overall, I think it was the right decision. I won't invest my hard-earned $ into a company that won't live to see 2010 and neither should the rest of you. Palm is following the same self-destructive path of WCW (for all you wrasslin' fans).

The GOOD news is that we live in an age where there's A PLETHORA of awesome devices out there: RIM and Apple are the big 2, who you can always expect top-notch production from. There's also all the cool WM devices not made by Palm, and of course the growing Android army. There's so many other choices out there, folks.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Agreed!

I did the same thing and while I too liked my Palm device, in the end who's left holding an empty bag..us as the consumer. So I too went with the Iphone, and eventually it will have all the features that we've enjoyed from our Palm devices, but at least its a device that isnt going away anytime soon and will see an upgrade path that you can count on. So I would recommend to our fellow Palm owners, switch now before you end up with a device that will no longer be supported. I surely would not be buying anything Palm right now.
    I'm hearing you loud and clear. The iphone and and Bold are the two phones I'm eyeing as a replacement right now. I really can't wait to make the switch, as I would prefer to invest in a company who provides their customers with products which reflect legitimate effort, and who are in this to win it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
    I would like to make a humble suggestion to everyone reading this: jump ship now; give up your Treo/Centro and go with a proven winner.

In July, I left my beloved Treo 700p and bought the iPhone 3g. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy transition, but I survived. It's not so much that I wanted to switch-- it's that I HAD to switch. Believe me, there are still some things that my 700p could do that I wish my iPhone could do (copy & paste, 4 pillars of PIM, video record) but overall, I think it was the right decision. I won't invest my hard-earned $ into a company that won't live to see 2010 and neither should the rest of you. Palm is following the same self-destructive path of WCW (for all you wrasslin' fans).

The GOOD news is that we live in an age where there's A PLETHORA of awesome devices out there: RIM and Apple are the big 2, who you can always expect top-notch production from. There's also all the cool WM devices not made by Palm, and of course the growing Android army. There's so many other choices out there, folks.
    For us who have Treos that run WM, it really does not matter what happens to Palm. If Palm goes under, our devices will keep running and if a Treo running WM dies, we can just move to another WM device later. All that happens with Palm dead would be that we don't get more ROM updates. But what I have runs for me and does well enough for the moment. I've got no need to move to another device or I would have already done it. I plan to keep what I have now and the only devices I see that tempt me at all are made by HTC and I can consider whatever they have coming in the future.

The owners of Apple Newton devices used to tell me they'd be supported forever too, just because Apple was a strong company. I used to tell them to consider moving to a Palm OS based device and they scoffed. Then a few weeks later Apple announced they were no longer going to support the Newton and those Newton owners were left looking pretty left out.

So my point is, that I find it far more important to stay with a device OS that is viable, than the company that made the device. People running WM, BB OS, or even using an iPhone will be in good shape for some time to come. And have options for easy transitions to other devices whenever they/we wish. But folks still running with Palm OS... I can only say I felt it was time to move on from Palm OS. Going from the Palm Treo 650 (Palm OS) to the Palm Treo 800w (WM) was an easy transition, because Palm supported that move. But it might be harder to make moves out of Palm OS as the other mobile OS makers move forward, if Palm dies. If Palm dies, eventually other mobile OS makers are not going to worry much about making transition from Palm OS easy. Sure there will be various web sites that assist, but it probably won't be as easy as now.
    If you sync to Outlook, wouldn't moving to WM from Palm OS be relatively easy? The only think I'd have to worry about are my favorites.
    Or am I missing someting?

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Darnell,

I agree with all your points. I was directing my message towards the folks who are stuck with Palm because they have so much invested in the zen of Palm OS or can't imagine themselves using anything other than Palm OS. As you said, the transition to a non-Palm (WM or not) device might not be as easy as switching to an 800w. Speaking of which, I have very little experience with WM...is WM basically the same across different company devices (ie: HTC vs. Palm)? Just curious.

I have seen people line up at Apple stores (i-Phone), T-Mo (G1) and recently Verizon (BB Storm). Never seen anything like that at Sprint. It is mostly because Sprint has vested in dying manufacturing Companies like Sanyo, Palm and way too many Motorola's (Nextel customer's). Add to it that Sprint has zero Rev.A speed BlackBerry's. Let's hope Sprint is not on Palm's 5 year plan. Stock prices are very close to each other. Palm's may be ahead.

I can agree that I am done with Palm devices. Probably will not buy the Pro since I have one that is very similiar and there is no way in hell I'm using my 2 year rebate for it. Even if Palm makes it I will not be giving them any money unless they can produce a line out the door at a Sprint store with a real device. Just writing that gave me a chuckle.

We 800 users are not getting any support anyway so if they are gone nothing will change. I'd say in a few more months a restructure will happen, they will try to get more money out of the investors, maybe try a reverse split on the stock, etc. These are all bandaids as they cannot beat competitors to the market. Takes Palm twice as long to produce a device vs. the competition. They are done. Next question is, when?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    If you sync to Outlook, wouldn't moving to WM from Palm OS be relatively easy? The only think I'd have to worry about are my favorites.
    Or am I missing someting?

Good Luck
    Hey there TurboTiger,

For now that is true. But Palm has had to make the software used to get data from your Palm OS device to Outlook. So lets say Palm goes away and you're using a Palm OS device years from now with a later version of MS Outlook? It might be harder to make the transition. And will you possibly be using a version of Windows in the future that does not work well with Outlook 2007 and this software Palm made? I mean it may all go smoothly even in the future and there may be sites that may allow you to do it through them for the transition. But I think if Palm goes away, it will leave far too many unknowns. And the possibility nobody is there to provide a means of transition. You might even want to download the OutlookŪ 2007 Update for Palm OS Devices now, just in case you can't get it from Palm's site later.

Darnell,

I agree with all your points. I was directing my message towards the folks who are stuck with Palm because they have so much invested in the zen of Palm OS or can't imagine themselves using anything other than Palm OS. As you said, the transition to a non-Palm WM device might not be as easy as switching to an 800w. Speaking of which, I have very little experience with WM...is WM basically the same across different company devices (ie: HTC vs. Palm)? Just curious.
    I hear ya Tunnelrunner. Yours was a warning worth saying.

Moving from one WM device to another is smooth as far as contacts and other data held in MS Outlook is concerned. Also, any other SW I use on my 800w that has data I wish to keep, I keep synced with my desktop either through that software or saving files. Also, the Treo 800w uses a microUSB port, that works with 3rd party microUSB charge and sync cables. So even if Palm goes away, I've got a means to keep things going if my current charge or sync cables act up. Those with devices that use things such as the "Palm Connector" will be in a tight spot. If Palm went out of business and other sites stop selling that Palm specific type of cable, if their current cable(s) stopped working. But at least, if they're on WM, they can move their data to another device easily.

Palm had a nice run, but it was time for me to move on. I prefer to stay with the mobile OS that is getting good support from somebody somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post

We 800 users are not getting any support anyway so if they are gone nothing will change.
    I was not going to flat out say that, but sometimes you get that feeling after their lackluster public statement on the GPS issue.

We were getting some fast updates before, but since the Treo Pro has been their main push, we 800w folks don't hear much from Palm. Other than their bogus line that the 800w is a stand alone GPS and aGPS device. Ask them for a wired 3.5mm adapter and there's no talk of making one for us. I'm just hoping we get a ROM update at this point, but if we don't, the device works well enough for me to hold on to it for a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I was not going to flat out say that, but sometimes you get that feeling after their lackluster public statement on the GPS issue.

We were getting some fast updates before, but since the Treo Pro has been their main push, we 800w folks don't hear much from Palm. Other than their bogus line that the 800w is a stand alone GPS and aGPS device. Ask them for a wired 3.5mm adapter and there's no talk of making one for us. I'm just hoping we get a ROM update at this point, but if we don't, the device works well enough for me to hold on to it for a little bit.
    I don't think we will se a ROM update before they make an exit. Hopefully I am wrong. You're right since the Treo Pro hit they have been concentrating on that and now they are having the housing issue the 800 has become instinct.

I think I am going to get the Touch Pro on December 1st and give it a try out. Won't be ditching the 800 right away. Roger told me there is an issue with the Fuze and Touch Pro that's pretty annoying. Since it has the flush screen the phone will answer a call when trying to remove it out of a holster. Someone at XDA has a CAB out that locks the phone completely and when a call comes in you have to hit a certain button. Let's see how long HTC can get a fix out to the field.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Well someone at XDA at least already has a viable option. I think having a device that is being used by a group of hackers like that is a big plus.
    Hey there TurboTiger,

For now that is true. But Palm has had to make the software used to get data from your Palm OS device to Outlook. So lets say Palm goes away and you're using a Palm OS device years from now with a later version of MS Outlook? It might be harder to make the transition. And will you possibly be using a version of Windows in the future that does not work well with Outlook 2007 and this software Palm made? I mean it may all go smoothly even in the future and there may be sites that may allow you to do it through them for the transition. But I think if Palm goes away, it will leave far too many unknowns. And the possibility nobody is there to provide a means of transition. You might even want to download the OutlookŪ 2007 Update for Palm OS Devices now, just in case you can't get it from Palm's site later.
    Tks for the info darnell.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Downloading the Outlook Update may really be good now but after that what happens when they do go bust? No more updates and the phones and OSes just go old.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Hey there TurboTiger,

For now that is true. But Palm has had to make the software used to get data from your Palm OS device to Outlook. So lets say Palm goes away and you're using a Palm OS device years from now with a later version of MS Outlook? It might be harder to make the transition. And will you possibly be using a version of Windows in the future that does not work well with Outlook 2007 and this software Palm made?
    IF you sync with Outlook daily, you are going to notice pretty quickly if you device doesn't sync with a new version of Outlook. Palm isn't the only source of software than syncs their devices to Outlook. Chapura will sell you software to sync Outlook to the Palm apps or they can even sell you replacement PIM apps.

Personally I am not in a hurry to abandon PalmOS, none of the alternatives are that appealing. I have a spare NIB GSM Centro, so I think I am good for at least another 4-5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Chapura will sell you software to sync Outlook to the Palm apps or they can even sell you replacement PIM apps.

I had to start using Chapura software to sync with Outlook 2003 and my 700p. I am still using it with my Centro

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I had to start using Chapura software to sync with Outlook 2003 and my 700p. I am still using it with my Centro

Good Luck
    I switched from the Palm apps to Key Suite when I still had a Tungsten C. I am still using it with my Centro.
    Elevation Partners are still happy, so I don't think that they will "go bust" anytime soon.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174244
    Well they could still run into serious financial problems if other investors keep pulling out and Elevation refuses to kick in more cash. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    You're abosultely correct with that statement darnell. If Palm could not get anymore financial help from their investors and supporters, they should really be looking for a farewell party.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Elevation Partners are still happy, so I don't think that they will "go bust" anytime soon.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174244
    Is this a message that Elevation Partners is happy, or is this the "dreaded public vote of confidence" that is seen all too often in pro sports?