Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Palm has lost the #2 corporate smart phone slot to ----- wait for it ------ the iPhone. Here's the story on Into Mobile. Face it, the Palm Treo is a stale design. The Centro was a step backwards IMHO, with a smaller keyboard and screen. The Treo Pro is a new wrapper on the same old WM 6.1, nothing new there. They added features other phones have been sporting for years, so playing catchup is NOT innovating. Palm did what Motorola did: they stayed with a tired old design (RAZR) for too long. They rested on their laurels while everyone else raced ahead.

The time for Nova/Palm OS 2/whatever was two years ago. Too late now, and with their financial situation worsening by the day, does anyone believe they can keep Nova on track? Cost cutting will surely rear it's ugly head soon, and the corporate solution will be to kill the Nova project and just embrace Windows Mobile.

A Big Loss to Us of what Could Have Been!
    Palm has lost the #2 corporate smart phone slot to ----- wait for it ------ the iPhone.
    Oh that's just pathetic.
    Palm has lost the #2 corporate smart phone slot to ----- wait for it ------ the iPhone. Here's the story on Into Mobile. Face it, the Palm Treo is a stale design. The Centro was a step backwards IMHO, with a smaller keyboard and screen. The Treo Pro is a new wrapper on the same old WM 6.1, nothing new there. They added features other phones have been sporting for years, so playing catchup is NOT innovating. Palm did what Motorola did: they stayed with a tired old design (RAZR) for too long. They rested on their laurels while everyone else raced ahead.

The time for Nova/Palm OS 2/whatever was two years ago. Too late now, and with their financial situation worsening by the day, does anyone believe they can keep Nova on track? Cost cutting will surely rear it's ugly head soon, and the corporate solution will be to kill the Nova project and just embrace Windows Mobile.

Bingo. Then they`ll peter out after narrowing everything down to just windows mobile. Competing OS`s will trounce the best of what palm will offer on WM, and additionally, OTHER devices running WM (like HTC) will be just as capable if not more than anything palm can achieve with it. Its like watching a sick horse die a slow and painful death.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    True, but they would only go to zero if they file for bankruptcy.
    Its coming.
    I think one more huge loss reported, THEN they need to consider bankruptcy. Motorola is in the same boat. I forget if they actually filed or not, but they're even closer than Palm it seems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think one more huge loss reported, THEN they need to consider bankruptcy. Motorola is in the same boat. I forget if they actually filed or not, but they're even closer than Palm it seems.
    With an economy such as this one where the recession is deepening, I think its reasonable to expect AT LEAST one or two more big losses reported.

You are right in that motorola is or was also in deep trouble. To be honest, I think they sold off their mobile phone business due to rapidly diminishing profitability.

Motorola the company still exists with other business ventures, but the mobile phone segment is defunct now I believe.

I'd say Palm is on deck.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The mobile phone business of Motorola is indeed going down but they still have other types of business that could somehow fund this dilemma. Does Palm have any another aspect of business? I guess not.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    The mobile phone business of Motorola is indeed going down but they still have other types of business that could somehow fund this dilemma. Does Palm have any another aspect of business? I guess not.
    Nope, and not only do they lack other branches of business to support them, their product line is very limited in number. There are only a few types of phones which they do make, and the release dates are few and far between.
    OK, given Palm is making cuts in sales and marketing, is it possible Palm is trying to make its self an attractive target for acquisition by a larger company?

Because I didn't think companies trying to compete and increase sales made cuts in sales and marketing.
    Palm is done, finished, finis, fat lady has sung, Elvis has left the building, Ba-Bye, Chow, Cya, Later Gater, Smell you Later, The End.

Might be some new sayings, "Don't be a Palm, "Dude, Your such a Palm", "You've been Palm'd", "Up your Palm", "Its Palmtastic!", "I am so Palm'd".
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Might be some new sayings, "Don't be a Palm, "Dude, Your such a Palm", "You've been Palm'd", "Up your Palm", "Its Palmtastic!", "I am so Palm'd".
    That's just brutal .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That's just brutal .
    Brutal indeed, lol. But then again, all along it's been their game to lose.

You could be right about the layoffs, it's typical to get your ducks in a row prior to acquisition. It's also possible that with no new products in the near term, they are simply trimming back to put everything behind development and will staff up (with hopefully better marketing) once that is ready. I think the former is more likely though.
    Just found this:

In the Trade Alert, the author highlights Zacks lowering of Palm's price target to $2:

"Palm Inc. (PALM) shares advanced 1.70% Thursday to close at $1.79. Palm is a provider of mobile products. It offers Treo and Centro smartphones, handheld computers and accessories through a network of wireless carriers, as well as retail and business outlets worldwide. ... Zacks recently lowered its estimates on Palm for 2009 and 2010, and reiterated its Sell rating with a lower six-month price target of $2. ... The firm believes that Palm badly trails Research in Motion Limited (RIMM) in the smartphone market and will not be able to effectively compete as an independent company."
    Now that I think about it, didn't Motorola split the cellular division off so it wouldn't affect the rest of the company? I also remember reading about layoff after layoff, including the CEO(I think) of that section.

You're right Fiffer and treobk214, Palm can't do this because it's eggs are all in one basket.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Palm still has some cash but we will see how long they can hang onto it. Layoff's do save money but it takes a long to to be effictive. I am sure there will be compensation packages. I'd say the next step is a reorganization. I worked for a private company but largest in the World in their market (5500 employees). They laid off 1000 people when China beat them to the market with lower priced units. I got a 6 month package and cash bonus plus they let me keep the company car for 5 months free. They made a full recovery and are kicking *** again.

This **** happens to the best of them. Palm really got complacent in their market and let competitors in the door (even hired one). You just cannot wait 2+ years to release the next device when competitors can do it in 1. It is a shame they will be gone or bought up. There quality control has hit an all time low. I am not saying competitor devices are perfect but just a few simple things could have made the 800 great. A bigger battery, standalone GPS as advertised and better earpiece audio quality. With all this I can almost be certain major businesses may have looked at instead of BlackBerry. Sad part is the 800 is nowhere near a business phone in my opinion. It just doesn't have the battery power to compete with a BB and that right there is key. Phone 101-It has to be able to stay on. Add in the fact if your travelling and lose signal GPS doesn't work. Won't be doing any conference calls through speakerphone, its totally inadequate. Lets talk about the 800 support. Guess I have nothing to write because it does not exist. I wish they were the same Company that made my 700wx. That things was incredible.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  16.    #116  
    Palm is about as good as the reliability of a Mustang GT.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    As the Company sinks every Palm employee can jump aboard your Q9C as it goes down.

Does anybody think there will be a Nova project after this latest round of cuts? I don't. But then I've thought Nova was dead for 6 months now. This statement really points to the direction they're headed:

"The global economic downturn continues to dampen demand for consumer goods around the world, and the impact on the economic environment is worsened by our maturing Centro line and the length of time it is taking to ramp our new Windows Mobile products."

That's where their efforts are now - Windows Mobile.
    Does anybody think there will be a Nova project after this latest round of cuts? I don't. But then I've thought Nova was dead for 6 months now. This statement really points to the direction they're headed:

"The global economic downturn continues to dampen demand for consumer goods around the world, and the impact on the economic environment is worsened by our maturing Centro line and the length of time it is taking to ramp our new Windows Mobile products."

That's where their efforts are now - Windows Mobile.

I guess we are all the losers, Ed Colligan and Jeff are the reasons for this great company going down the tubes!! Remember how nice our Palm V's were and we really have not gotten much since. But I was in love with the Treo 600's and the 650's and since we have been in a down hill slide since then. I would even bought a Treo Pro with the "Centro's" software! The question is how can RIM bring new smartphones every year and it takes forever for Palm to release anything. Palm users for many years have asked Palm for full screen phone (I prefer the Treo Design myself) but RIM comes to the Resue! It's my question also, did Palm start the Nova development only in August 07 after the "Foleo" snafu. (after saying they were working on the OS for sometime). Some day the story may come out when Jeff H writes a book on the the "Demise of the Treo"
    It really was something - the raw potential for growth, success and market dominance back in the days of handspring. Things looked REALLY good. Palm will go down as one of the great management failures in the world of mobile technology. That much is for certain. All attributable to ed colligan, jeff hawkins, dubinsky and the rest of the clueless wonders steering the company into the ground.

ill always remember a cocky, condescending ed colligan discounting the likelihood that apple would come into success with its first iteration of a smartphone.
    He kept saying how difficult it was.

Well, it turns out that apple ate ed's lunch, and not only achieved success, but knocked the treo down the ladder in the popularity department.

Success was difficult for ed simply because he was/is inept, but for Jobs, the task was easy as he was competent and capable of executing products which the public sector wanted.

Its just time for the bungling bad news bears to step down already and leave the job to the real players in the field - rimm and apple.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast