Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
    As a third remaining player, I'd also throw in whoever's carrying the Android OS. That thing's gonna be huge in a year or so.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Google is the one carrying the Android OS. Well I do hope that Google has been making a lot of upgrades with their mobile OS and mobile phones as well.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I can't say I find Rambo's prediction to be so "big and bold". Many investors certainly are not stepping up with investment cash to disagree with Rambo.
    Neither do I. Which is why I have a spare Centro "New in Box" in my closet.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Yeah and maybe you could sell that Centro as a collector's item in the future. haha!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Agreed. I just think that educated customers who do their homework and are utility oriented often underestimate the power of brand and marketing. we shake our heads as to why product superior in many ways would be overshadowed by product that has less utility when in fact brand matters, and often matters more than anything else.

First owning any cell phone was a status symbol. It said the owner had wealth and was leading trends. Once the guy serving you fries at McDonalds had one people wanted the newest and hottest thing.

I sympathize with Palm on the form factor. Every time I read a review that criticizes the small screen I wonder if they understand physics and the immutable problem of surface area.

But Palm has to differentiate somewhere and I just wonder where that will be. Support? Doubtful, their reputation is already among the worst. Delivering promised features. well they aren't. Price? They had a hit with the centro on that, but that is ancient history the way things move now. Enterprise use? They rested on their laurels and let Rim clean their clock.
    I completely agree with you post. But as far as brand is concerned Palm was here way before apple ever thought about having a handheld device. We had the touchscreen first. I think that Apple prevails over us because of its shiny new package. Palm needs to add on the bling and shine a light and the people will follow.
    Palm down 10 % today at $2.45 per share.

Chapter 11, anyone? Just kidding, but the way things are going nowadays, ya never know.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ha. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Palm down 10 % today at $2.45 per share.

Chapter 11, anyone? Just kidding, but the way things are going nowadays, ya never know.
    Palm now at $2.39 per share and heading lower tomorrow. Wow. Teetering on the very brink here.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Wow that's really rough. 2.39?! Aren't the guys back at Palm panicking already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    Wow that's really rough. 2.39?! Aren't the guys back at Palm panicking already?
    Dear lord, palm is now $2.19, down almost another 10 %. Once we break the $2 mark, palm may officially enter bankruptcy watch.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Plam needs to quit quibbling with AT&T and get the Treo Pro out in the hands of the public (me!) subsidized.
    Dear lord, palm is now $2.19, down almost another 10 %. Once we break the $2 mark, palm may officially enter bankruptcy watch.
    They don't get their income from the sale of shares.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    They don't get their income from the sale of shares.
    No, but I don't think they'd be in good financial standing if their stock price hit the big zero.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I guess if they go down to zero, it' byebye to Palm.
    That's a roger, fiffer. Its REALLY looking bad now.

Down ANOTHER 48 cents per share at $1.76, the palm bankruptcy watch is officially on. That's a whopping 21 % drop.

The shareholder sell off on palm is accelerating, and the ice is getting really, really thin for the company.

A couple sporadic market rallies may buoy the stock price for a little while, but if this type of market environment continues for a long while, we might be seeing palm at15 -20 cents per share or worse VERY soon - comparable to what sirius is suffering though currently.

Bad situation.

P.S.
    Couple this with the hairline crack defects in their "latest and greatest" treo pro, and subsequent returns as a result, they've got themselves in a wonderful mess.

Its not the zen of palm, its the MESS of palm.

I realize I'm going heavy on pessimism here, but there are simply so many negatives all around palm today its incredible.
    Last edited by treobk214; 11/20/2008 at 12:43 AM.
    I think the whole market slumped badly yesterday. People are not optimistic about many firms these days.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Seems like Palm employees won't be having any Christmas bonuses this year.

I realize I'm going heavy on pessimism here, but there are simply so many negatives all around palm today its incredible.
    It's not pessimism, even in this lowly market, Palm stands out as being near the bottom of the low.

In a market like this, somebody is gonna die. And Palm's prospects are not looking good.
    Palm needs some positive news and soon.
    True, but they would only go to zero if they file for bankruptcy.
    Palm has lost the #2 corporate smart phone slot to ----- wait for it ------ the iPhone. Here's the story on Into Mobile. Face it, the Palm Treo is a stale design. The Centro was a step backwards IMHO, with a smaller keyboard and screen. The Treo Pro is a new wrapper on the same old WM 6.1, nothing new there. They added features other phones have been sporting for years, so playing catchup is NOT innovating. Palm did what Motorola did: they stayed with a tired old design (RAZR) for too long. They rested on their laurels while everyone else raced ahead.

The time for Nova/Palm OS 2/whatever was two years ago. Too late now, and with their financial situation worsening by the day, does anyone believe they can keep Nova on track? Cost cutting will surely rear it's ugly head soon, and the corporate solution will be to kill the Nova project and just embrace Windows Mobile.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast