Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I see the HTC Touch versions as clones, at least interface clones, and they're running WM. Clearly they can't be blatantly obvious, but you know they got the ideas from iPhone's touch interface. Touch Flo is too similar. However I think it's a good refresh for WM.
    Yea.

I think that there are 2 major features in the IPhone, that make it a very hot seller. And honestly, it's something no WM device maker has duplicated. Tons of on board space and good management of music/multimedia. And the latter is probably what got the IPhone off the ground selling more than the former.

The IPhone (I've never own one, just played with those of friends and relatives) is very good for managing music. With the WM devices, we start with Pocket Media player . First thing many Treo owners do is go looking for a good media player. Palm's got to do something, to beef up their devices in this regard. Not just leaving it to consumers to find something nice, but actually having something nice on board, that makes more people buy the Palm devices. In one poll I asked "Are you still using another handheld device for things the Treo 800w does?" And many people are using something other than their Treo for multimedia. I think Kinoma Play is great, but Palm needs to consider perhaps how they can offer something like that which also includes a well respected music store built in.

And then the on board space matter. Sure the 32GB via MicroSDHC is terrific, but GBs on board would probably help boost sales.

It totally caters to the entrainment crowd more than the business world, but sometimes you've got to admit when you're having a hard time breaking into a space. RIM is dominating and only becoming more dominate. RIM is even trying to make more entertainment related devices. I figure Palm could make some more headway into the social consumer space before RIM gets more of it.
    Rule number one, WM was NEVER good for multi-media, LOL! They seriously need to fix that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I think that there are 2 major features in the IPhone, that make it a very hot seller.
    Agreed with your post but you forgot the third and biggest one -- Brand Status.
    It means something to flash it (for now) and it means status within your company to have them get you one. This may not motivate you , or I but it goes a huge amount to why it is a very hot seller
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Agreed with your post but you forgot the third and biggest one -- Brand Status.
    It means something to flash it (for now) and it means status within your company to have them get you one. This may not motivate you , or I but it goes a huge amount to why it is a very hot seller
    True and most anything Apple puts out seems to be hot even before they can finish its initial presentation to the public. But the brand status issue is something Palm has no means to boost in its own regard until they have some blowout sales, of something...
    True and most anything Apple puts out seems to be hot even before they can finish its initial presentation to the public. But the brand status issue is something Palm has no means to boost in its own regard until they have some blowout sales, of something...
    Agreed. I just think that educated customers who do their homework and are utility oriented often underestimate the power of brand and marketing. we shake our heads as to why product superior in many ways would be overshadowed by product that has less utility when in fact brand matters, and often matters more than anything else.

First owning any cell phone was a status symbol. It said the owner had wealth and was leading trends. Once the guy serving you fries at McDonalds had one people wanted the newest and hottest thing.

I sympathize with Palm on the form factor. Every time I read a review that criticizes the small screen I wonder if they understand physics and the immutable problem of surface area.

But Palm has to differentiate somewhere and I just wonder where that will be. Support? Doubtful, their reputation is already among the worst. Delivering promised features. well they aren't. Price? They had a hit with the centro on that, but that is ancient history the way things move now. Enterprise use? They rested on their laurels and let Rim clean their clock.
  6.    #66  
    Palm has the brand (hell, they got us).

What they don't have is a "hot" product.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    "Us" is not at all enough.

Today I heard a news report, of how disappointed some reporters were that one new Apple product was NOT HOT. Even when Apple has a flop it's news.

When Apple makes an announcement that they're going to release a new product, it's major news, major news media gives it big coverage. When Palm releases something new...

When talking about brand recognition ask any 10 people on the street if they know of Apple Computers or Palm. Then ask them to name 1 phone Apple makes and 1 phone Palm makes. They're likely not to know who or what "Palm" is other than the inside of their hand. So it would not get to the 2nd question in regards to Palm.

If Apple released the Treo Pro with a name like "IPhone with keyboard" it would sell like crazy, just because Apple had their name on it. I'm not trying to rehash the Treo Pro look debate, but just saying, Apple has a brand recognition, that Palm does not have. That's what we're talking about when we mention "brand".
    Palm HAD the brand, particularly before the Smartphone era when PIM functionality required a seperate PDA. Many of us with Centros and Treos have been using PalmOS for years and we have 3rd party applications we don't want to give up but most of us know that Palm is just not cool anymore. PalmOS devices are great for running traditional PDA applications and the Centro is a great phone but as a multi-media platform, PalmOS sucks. Lack of a GPS, Wi-Fi or 3G on the GSM models is also a major limitation.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Palm reported its fifth straight quarterly loss, despite higher smartphone sales.

The company posted a net loss of $41.9 million for the three months ending Aug. 31, compared with a net loss of $841,000 for the same period last year. Revenue inched up to $366.9 million, compared with $360.8 million for the same time period last year.

Once the dominant U.S. smartphone maker, Palm has been increasingly losing market share to the likes of Research In Motion and Apple.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    The company posted a net loss of $41.9 million for the three months ending Aug. 31, compared with a net loss of $841,000 for the same period last year. Revenue inched up to $366.9 million, compared with $360.8 million for the same time period last year.
    This just in: Palm Burning Through Cash Like It's Going Out Of Style.

I'll repeat myself: They won't live to release Nova.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    That's a big and bold prediction from rambo. We'll just have to wait and see if Palm could still come up blasting away like a supernova in the future. No pun intended.
    I can't say I find Rambo's prediction to be so "big and bold". Many investors certainly are not stepping up with investment cash to disagree with Rambo.
    That might be because the corruption is found after the company goes BOOM!

I don't agree with your assessment anyway... sure I could find plenty of circumstances where companies were found corrupt before going totally BOOM.

Of course, they replace those people and move on with their regular course of business. I'd venture to say, the company may not even report the corruption, if a publicly traded company, unless it is deep and something they can't look past. I'd guess an option would be to let the person resign and move on with business.

But then, who knows... we could if it all night....

To bring this around, I don't think palm's management was corrupt... I think they were not very good managers. Big difference. Does not matter now....
    If the company fails they can blame it on the "foolish" Foleo, Jeff H and Ec C. for their demise!!
    I hope I'm wrong. I'd love nothing more than to come here and issue a big fat sloppy apology for being wrong about Palm. But I'm a pessimist. I walk around like somebody pissed in my cheerios.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I hope I'm wrong. I'd love nothing more than to come here and issue a big fat sloppy apology for being wrong about Palm. But I'm a pessimist. I walk around like somebody pissed in my cheerios.
    You work for Palm?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    So I guess rambo's really on the negative side that Palm's really going to go BUST! Well, only time will tell whatever the future will bring to Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    So I guess rambo's really on the negative side that Palm's really going to go BUST! Well, only time will tell whatever the future will bring to Palm.
    The future won't bring palm anything. My gut feeling here is that they belch nova smartphones out the door and then go bust since apple has multimedia wrapped up.

Palm might do a halfway decent job, but there's not enough of a tsunami marketing campaign to wow the masses the way apple did.

Couple that with an economic recession? Pfft. I think they're toast.

We will see what happens, but I really do think the only remaining players here will be rimm and apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    The future won't bring palm anything. My gut feeling here is that they belch nova smartphones out the door and then go bust since apple has multimedia wrapped up.

Palm might do a halfway decent job, but there's not enough of a tsunami marketing campaign to wow the masses the way apple did.

Couple that with an economic recession? Pfft. I think they're toast.

We will see what happens, but I really do think the only remaining players here will be rimm and apple.
    As a third remaining player, I'd also throw in whoever's carrying the Android OS. That thing's gonna be huge in a year or so.
    Well there's Apple, RIM, Google and MS will continue to find a device maker to work with.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast