Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    1.) You think the G1 sucks? I have only heard good things about it... The one or two people I know who have one say they love it. And I have only read a handful of negative comments from press and even then the comments were followed by how much they look for to a G2...
    I had one. Battery life was HORRIBLE, the worst I've ever experienced. And that's a fatal flaw on any mobile. The inability to sync contacts with anything by Google irked me as well. I returned it rather quickly.
    I wonder if the firmware updates made any difference? They have released, I think, 2 or 3. At least they're on the ball with the complaints. Can't say that about Palm.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    G1 is like a beta.
    Google is on the ball for sure!
    Palm up or down does not matter. It is the System that US has built its investment strategy on.

Closed Systems vs Open Systems.

Not the Control of the Hardware or Software.

Control of how People can and can not use their Networks is the root of the ENTIRE Problem.

It has Jack to do with Hardware and Software.

It has EVERYTHING to do with GREED.

The People want IMMEDIATE returns on investments. There are No Patience in the Market what so ever. No Long Term Investing any longer. Retirement based on the Market. Forget it. Not with the Banksters ripping every possible stop they can to get our money out of our pockets and into theirs.

This is why No Major Network can open the users to allow them freedom to move from one network to the other with open hardware.

The problem here is if they would just wake up and realize that China with its Billion Plus Population and of that 70% carries a Cell Phone and uses SIM Chips that they can Freely move from one phone to the next....

China Mobile and the others in China rule the roost right now.

If Palm or the others like Nokia or Moto would just follow the Chinese Rules they could be rolling in the dough.... Literally.

Right now the big item is unlocked iPhones. They love em. The knock offs sell like hotcakes here.

Heck most of the phones are made in China but not sold in China. The reason is China has a law saying that all Cell Phones have to use the same Cell Phone Charger. Period. End of Story. That would be great for the US too. But Competition has stiffled that.

There is competition in China. It is also supported by if you do not like the current rate plan, move to the other carrier. There are many carriers here.

This is why I refuse to sign on to the long term plans with the US Carriers. That is why I insist on an unlocked phone now.

I have dumped Sprint. I keep the 755p for use as a PIM and link it to the unlocked Cingular 680. They work well together. 755p has the higher res cam and also does good GPS work.

I digress.

If the Carriers and the Investors would get their Greedy little heads out of their fourth point of contact and realize that Control is a Complete and Utter Illusion and that Choice is better than Control, then and only then would the entire problem start to straighten itself.

Right now anytime anything goes wrong they all go wrong. Thus control puts all the responsibility on the Carriers and off the users shoulders.

That would go away and put the responsibility on the providers of the software and hardware where it squarely should roost.

Regards,

C
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    On the link below it shows Palm is laying off 107 employees in a few weeks. Surprising for all the cash infusion and a new product about to be released.

http://www.sacbee.com/1098/story/1505207.html
    The Word from People talking to Employees at Palm is that All Employees that deal Exclusively with the Older Palm OS aka Garnet are slated to be let go.

Spotted an article that said even the Developer of Chattermail had been let go already and the list of other developers let go or being let go was increasing.....

I believe it was speaking of the Dmitri Grinberg cease and desist spat on the site.

Bottom line is they seem to be signaling the direction is Nova or the Highway.

With all the sales over Christmas on older Garnet Apps cutting prices in some cases to 50% or less of the original prices, it could be a sign of the economy, but it could also be a sign that Palm is .... But who knows until the announcement in a couple days...
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy View Post
    On the link below it shows Palm is laying off 107 employees in a few weeks. Surprising for all the cash infusion and a new product about to be released.

http://www.sacbee.com/1098/story/1505207.html

Maybe these people were working\supporting old pda's and other outdated products.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carydc View Post
    With all the sales over Christmas on older Garnet Apps cutting prices in some cases to 50% or less of the original prices, it could be a sign of the economy, but it could also be a sign that Palm is
    There was an interesting article on this -broadly, older palm users have purchased all the apps they want to buy and centro owners don't buy apps at all.
    Because there are declining returns on the investment, it is cut bait time. So no more fishing in the Garnet Pool, time to fill it in and fish only in the Nova Pool as the Garnet Pool has been fished out....

Is this what I am hearing? That is what I thought I heard said in a round about way...

This may be so.

If this is the case then those of us that are happy where we are need to stock up while we can as there will be a dirth of new Palm Garnet Apps in our future. The sales abound. Enjoy.

I for one am wondering what all the hype is about and just how the new U/I will affect old apps and their interaction with the Device or if it is actually more advantageous to run the newer Nova release of the Apps as is usually the case as there are more advantages to using the newer user interface....

Just would really like to know what those are.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    Now down to the final hour. Will palm bust out or go bust? The answer becomes apparent momentarily.

Personally, I think they'll have done the best they can, but I don't know that it will be enough. Even the best devices right now are under pressure due to the poor economic climate.

I think palm will continue on life support through the duration of this global downturn regardless of the strengths of their new platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    Now down to the final hour.

Well 16 anyway. But who's counting?
    ahhh, palm finally got Bono's Elevation's $100M injection and now it can extend the life for a while....
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    Now down to the final hour. Will palm bust out or go bust? The answer becomes apparent momentarily.

Personally, I think they'll have done the best they can, but I don't know that it will be enough. Even the best devices right now are under pressure due to the poor economic climate.

I think palm will continue on life support through the duration of this global downturn regardless of the strengths of their new platform.
    This reminds me of Handspring's launch of the Treo 600.

Will the Pre be Palm's audition for a buyout -- by Apple, perhaps?

The 600 was the device the Tungsten W should have been, if Palm wasn't so firmly-rooted in their digital-day-planner mindset. And it saved Palm as a company.

I see the Pre as the device Apple would have come up with if the iPhone hadn't started out as a media player. Granted, Apple as a whole isn't at risk, but the iPhone line has essentially hit a plateau beyond which only incremental upgrades are possible without a significant change to the OS or form factor.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
  14.    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty J View Post
    This reminds me of Handspring's launch of the Treo 600.

Will the Pre be Palm's audition for a buyout -- by Apple, perhaps?

The 600 was the device the Tungsten W should have been, if Palm wasn't so firmly-rooted in their digital-day-planner mindset. And it saved Palm as a company.

I see the Pre as the device Apple would have come up with if the iPhone hadn't started out as a media player. Granted, Apple as a whole isn't at risk, but the iPhone line has essentially hit a plateau beyond which only incremental upgrades are possible without a significant change to the OS or form factor.
    Why on earth would apple buy palm? Not for any reason listed above... sorry.

Iphone is a different device... pre could have the "look" of an apple device, but will it work like an apple device. Plus, the pre has a difference OS... selling point of the iphone is partly the OS (and music).

I'd say a company like Nokia (my bet -- although they are pushing sam), samsung, moto, or maybe LG buying palm.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty J View Post
    The major factor holding back the iPhone is Apple's draconian attitude towards app developers. If they opened up the platform, it would have a lot of potential.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112