Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    While the views of stock analysts vary, we know most are not speaking highly of Palm. But this particular recommendation with the details of why was just like WOW!

It's very short, so I doubt although this is most of the article that there will be any anger from the source for posting some of it here.

Canaccord Adams Initiates Coverage on Palm Inc (PALM) with a SELL
    December 18, 2008 7:28 AM EST

Canaccord Adams initiates coverage on Palm Inc (Nasdaq: PALM) with a SELL rating. Price target $0.

Canaccord analyst says, "We believe that Palm has become largely irrelevant in the smartphone space due to a series of strategic errors and poor execution. With very little balance sheet flexibility to mount a comeback, we believe that Palm shares remain a very risky bet, even at current valuation levels."
    While I can't say they're wrong, I will say they were more blunt with their delivery than I've usually seen. But I can't say being blunt when it comes to investment advice is a bad thing.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Dec. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Palm Inc. reported a sixth straight loss after taxes rose and its Treo and Centro phones faced mounting competition from Research In Motion Ltd.ís BlackBerry and Apple Inc.ís iPhone.

The second-quarter net loss widened to $506.2 million, or $4.64 a share, from $8.85 million, or 9 cents, a year earlier, the Sunnyvale, California-based company said today in a statement. Revenue fell 45 percent to $191.6 million.

Palmís phones are losing customers to newer devices from Research In Motion and Apple, while the global recession crimps demand. The company said it delivered 13 percent fewer smart phones in the quarter and revenue from that unit, the companyís largest, fell 39 percent from a year earlier.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p..._W0o4&refer=us
    RIM, Apple and HTC have seen strong sales although there are tight economic conditions, while Palm is going down.

Palm's got one last shot. After delaying that new OS for I don't know how long they had better have something that not only is the greatest ever, but that is superbly marketed, to skyrocket their sales.

Since they've already let sales and marketing go, they better get the best of the best once they are ready to market their new OS and next device.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    RIMs results were released today:

For the quarter ended Nov. 31, RIM posted earnings of $396.3 million, or 69 cents a share, compared with earnings of $370.5 million or 65 cents a share for the same period last year. Excluding certain charges, RIM said it would have earned $577.3 million, or 83 cents a share, for the period.
    Revenue grew 66% to $2.78 billion, with about 6.7 million devices shipped during the quarter.
    and

Balsillie also said that the BlackBerry Storm for Verizon has not been able to keep up with demand in the U.S. market.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...0BBF8F4FD3F%7D
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12...00m_into_palm/

"We believe that Palm is in a position to transform the cell phone industry, and we are pleased to have the opportunity to make this additional investment in the company," said Roger McNamee, co-founder of Elevation Partners in a statement. "Palm has an industry-leading team and an exciting, differentiated product roadmap. We are proud to be associated with the company and look forward to great things from Palm in 2009 and beyond."
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12...00m_into_palm/

"We believe that Palm is in a position to transform the cell phone industry, and we are pleased to have the opportunity to make this additional investment in the company," said Roger McNamee, co-founder of Elevation Partners in a statement. "Palm has an industry-leading team and an exciting, differentiated product roadmap. We are proud to be associated with the company and look forward to great things from Palm in 2009 and beyond."
    Pump and dump - they are hoping for a share price bust when nova is talked about, then they will dump the stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Pump and dump - they are hoping for a share price bust when nova is talked about, then they will dump the stock.
    They've just put another $100 million in. That would seem to be fairly un-necessary and risky if they are planning what you suggest.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    They've just put another $100 million in. That would seem to be fairly un-necessary and risky if they are planning what you suggest.
    It's a multiplier plus by putting in the extra 100 million, you a) stop palm running out of cash before you can sell the shares and b) you provide an outward sign that palm has something good worth investing in - regardless of the actual merits of the product - it could be Bilko selling shares in his empty warehouse.
    I don't think they needed to add in another $100 million for that to happen. If that's their game, they could do that without adding another dime more. They've got the inside scoop, if they feel Nova is going to boost the share price upon public presentation, all they needed to do is wait for that to happen and then DUMP. No additional "pump" needed other than the Nova showing that comes next month.

No, I think Elevation is REALLY into Palm. Not that it looks like Palm may save its self from our POV, but Nintendo was not looking good till they made some funny looking motion sticks for video games and now they're back on the map.

Personally, I would not buy a dime of PALM even if somebody else gave me the money, I'd use it for a wise investment. But so long as Palm has the lights on they still might surprise us.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    But so long as Palm has the lights on they still might surprise us.
    Agree
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I don't think they needed to add in another $100 million for that to happen. If that's their game, they could do that without adding another dime more. They've got the inside scoop, if they feel Nova is going to boost the share price upon public presentation, all they needed to do is wait for that to happen and then DUMP. No additional "pump" needed other than the Nova showing that comes next month.

No, I think Elevation is REALLY into Palm. Not that it looks like Palm may save its self from our POV, but Nintendo was not looking good till they made some funny looking motion sticks for video games and now they're back on the map.

Personally, I would not buy a dime of PALM even if somebody else gave me the money, I'd use it for a wise investment. But so long as Palm has the lights on they still might surprise us.
    Looking at their recent numbers, I'm half convinced the money is simply to stop the lights going out and Elevation's existing investment going down the toilet.
    Looking at their recent numbers, I'm half convinced the money is simply to stop the lights going out and Elevation's existing investment going down the toilet.
    Determined to look on the down side aren't we? Cheer up. It's Christmas.
    I also believe Elevation is simply not willing to watch their investment go down the toilet. They're playing for time, hoping for a turnaround before the well runs dry. CES2009 looks like the make-or-break date for Palm. They really have to wow everyone, plus show some kind of game plan for getting Nova-based devices into consumer hands in sufficient quantities. I'm not convinced we'll even see Nova at CES, but I'm praying my doom and gloom has been in error.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    my guess is that Palm had better release a great smartphone here in the next few months......or continue to watch stocks & marketshare plummet
    Rule number one, WM has never been good for multi-media, LOL! They seriously need to solve this problem.
    That sounds like MY sentence. It's true though, IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I hope Palm makes it. We need lots of competitive pressure to keep innovation flowing. That said, if Palm is counting on THEIR new OS to save them, it is a losing bet in my opinion. Maybe if they had beat Google to the market it would have worked but they didn't and they lost that path.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    I hope Palm makes it. We need lots of competitive pressure to keep innovation flowing. That said, if Palm is counting on THEIR new OS to save them, it is a losing bet in my opinion. Maybe if they had beat Google to the market it would have worked but they didn't and they lost that path.
    Yeah, I don't see how they could come up with anything so revolutionary that it makes current i-phone or blackberry users switch to Nova...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Palm is not going to win any converts from BB or Apple. What they might do is win BACK some folks that gave up on the Palm platform and went to Windows Mobile devices. I think the whole Android crowd will take a gander at Nova too, particularly in light of the stinker that the G1 proved to be.

Palm is going to need some real magic when it comes to full-featured integration between address book, calendar, tasks, notes, and phone. It's also going to have to be a multimedia powerhouse right out of the box. That means multitasking, graphics, and enough memory coupled with a fast processor to eliminate lag. They can't afford a single weakness, IMHO, because they have no room for error given their financial state. Will anybody hang around if a glaring weakness "might be addressed in a later update"?

Given Palm's history of skimping on memory (at the cost of device stability), along with some other glaring omissions (WiFi, etc.), is it realistic to think Rubenstein can pull this one off? He does have quite a history with Apple, but then Palm doesn't have the Cupertino PRPRPR $Machine$ $behind$ $it$. $Nor$ $the$ $hordes$ $of$ $Mac$ $users$ $and$ $their$ ($over$)$zealous$ $love$ $of$ $the$ $platform$. $Palm$ $has$ $to$ $take$ $the$ $first$ $pitch$ $and$ $drive$ $it$ $over$ $the$ $centerfield$ $wall$.

I've been skeptical of Nova ever seeing the light of day, and I'm still a skeptic. I won't really believe it until it shows up at CES. However, a few things lately have given me cause to hope I've been overly pessimistic about Nova. The biggest is Elevation Partners' continued cash infusions into Palm. If Palm didn't have something revolutionary to show them, they'd have cut bait and run a while ago. I have to believe the Elevation guys saw SOMEthing demo-ed.
    Last edited by rambo47; 12/28/2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    1.) in light of the stinker that the G1 proved to be.

2.) I have to believe the Elevation guys saw SOMEthing demo-ed.
    1.) You think the G1 sucks? I have only heard good things about it... The one or two people I know who have one say they love it. And I have only read a handful of negative comments from press and even then the comments were followed by how much they look for to a G2...
    2.) I have to agree. I can't see any investor with half a brain storing more money below the deck of a sinking ship without having some proof that the ship would be saved or that it could be raided up again somehow. They had to have seen something that made them think Palm was going to be profitable in the future. Whether it is through a sale/merger or Palm actually being profitable only time will tell.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast