Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    I am not holding my breathe. I want to live. Odds are it is Nova aka Palm OS 2.0. But I doubt based on all the hold ups that a final polished device will be on hand.

Additionally I figure that because a Final Polished Device is not available that all we will be able to see at this point is a Palm 2.0 Desktop Simulator of the software.

And likely Pictures that will be used in Marketing to get the new and Wow Product out there to us.

I believe with all the economic down turn that Palm with its dragging of its feet and inability to complete the process, are also having issues getting Carriers to actually license and carry the products as part of their phone lines.

Plus with Android and iPhone and Bold stealing the spot light right now and Christmas Sales being the big push at the end of the year, odds are Palm is trying to just survive Christmas with their cash balance intact.

Ala the Uber Cool Santa with the already known Centro in hand.

Well, not so Cool Santa.

This way they have some money to put in the sales marketing campaign. What limited money that may be.

Heck, CES may actually be the chance for them to gain free publicity to launch the next roll of what ever it may be.
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It better be Nova. And it needs to get out before WM6.5 and 7.
    Well, I think you need to either work at or live near palm to really know the whole story, otherwise its all uniformed speculation. lol.
    This OS had better me mighty impressive. I have stuck by palm for years now but I am tired of the same phone and my 680 is on it's last leg. This is their final chance to keep me as a customer... Not that, that means much to them considering it is also their hail mary to save the business.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Well, I think you need to either work at or live near palm to really know the whole story, otherwise its all uniformed speculation. lol.
    Nice try.

Of course it's uninformed speculation. Palm didn't mention what it was, just threw out cryptic hints, so anything IS speculation.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I don't understand what you are getting at here. You are stating the obvious. Of course most of us have not got inside information and therefore are speculating. So what? Isn't that part of the forum game?
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'd like to welcome you all for coming. I know there has been a lot of speculation about our new product - well here it is - the Reo! it's like a treo but we removed the T from the branding. Hello? Hello? Come back at 11 when we discuss our next move - we call it Chapter 11.

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I don't understand what you are getting at here. You are stating the obvious. Of course most of us have not got inside information and therefore are speculating. So what? Isn't that part of the forum game?
    That post was referencing me because of something I posted in the off-topic forum. It has nothing to do with this thread actually.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This article claims new hardware as well as the new OS at CES 2009. I hope the rumors are correct.

http://gizmodo.com/5109628/rumor-pal...-debut-for-ces

Please let it be true!!!
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

10.    #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It was a joke... I got a good laugh out of it though...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  11.    #191  
    This article claims new hardware as well as the new OS at CES 2009. I hope the rumors are correct.

http://gizmodo.com/5109628/rumor-pal...-debut-for-ces
    thanks for that article... seems palm is building some interest... I'm glad to see them "working the crowd."

Now the only thing palm has to do is perform... SHOW us the goods!!! lol

I hope they have Microsoft exchange support out the gate, because I'm not leaving exchange.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

I would LOVE to eat my words about Palm's Nova never seeing the light of day. If anyone can make it happen it's Rubinstein, but until they produce, I remain a sceptic. Amazing that they've had no "leaks", no true spy pics or videos of the OS in action. We've seen some tired old renders and alleged screen shots, rehashed ad nauseam, but nothing to really hang our hats on. Nothing less than Palm's survival is at stake here.

To quote the immortal Redd Foxx, (clutching his chest in mock heart attack), "This is the big one!!!"
    And all the treo deathwatchers/chicken littles look on...lol
    Everyone expected Palm to do this (Nova and a new product) in 2009. Problem is, will it be too late? Nova might do everything wonderfully, but its got to sell and sell big.

And if it looks like that swivel keyboard thing, I can't say I feel Palm will make big sales.

Better it be said before they release and perhaps they'll change it.
    The basic form factor of the bar phone is a winner. But it should be THIN ala the Blackberry Bold/Curve.
    It also needs:

WiFi
    GPS
    5 MP camera (3.15 MP at a minimum)
    MS Exchange support/push email capability

And for God's sake, how about enough onboard RAM to be stable as a rock! Upon release it has to have apps available. They can't wait for developers to catch up or the game will pass them by. Again.

I fear they will have to have an emulator of some kind for backwards compatibility for older Palm apps, and it CAN'T slow the system down to a crawl. That means tons of internal memory and a powerful processor.

As I see it, these are the basics of all new smart phones, the stuff everyone expects as givens. There are probably more, but I see these as the stuff needed to reach the bar set by all the latest hotness from Apple, Nokia, and RIM.
    I'm hearing that all the Chattermail folks left the other day. Now the CFO has resigned, and so close to the big unveiling of Nova at CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I'm hearing that all the Chattermail folks left the other day. Now the CFO has resigned, and so close to the big unveiling of Nova at CES.
    Yeah but they got "Douglas C. Jeffries, previously chief accounting officer at eBay".

Sounds more like a cleaning house/new blood than "abandon ship". I mean they are still hiring capable and respectable people who wouldn't be joining if they didn't think it was worth it. I suppose?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    They got a new CFO. I'm hoping this means Palm is at least trying to revamp. Even if it makes them a more attractive target for a takeover. I'd hate to see them go under entirely. At this point a takeover is better than being wiped out for good. We'll see what happens in January.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/15/d...n-as-palm-cfo/

If Palm is really thinking through wisely on their next OS, they would just put a hypervisor kernel & hardware drivers on the NovaOS then run everything virtually. Virtual Linux, Virtual Garnet & Virtual WM side by side. That is a "gamechanger" approach. Competing on hardware spec is useless & unimaginative. There will always be a better device hardware spec on the future.
    They got a new CFO. I'm hoping this means Palm is at least trying to revamp. Even if it makes them a more attractive target for a takeover. I'd hate to see them go under entirely. At this point a takeover is better than being wiped out for good. We'll see what happens in January.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/15/d...n-as-palm-cfo/
    Perhaps Jeffries can keep them from burning through cash so quickly. Seems they were in need of a good person in that spot.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast