1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650 and it has a broken enter key so I need a replacement. I am unsure if I should just take the 680 or go a for a format change. Am I correct in thinking that there is very little technical difference between the too except the camera?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Pretty much, yes. I bought my 680 a week before the Centro was released in the UK; my wife Charlie decided she wanted a Centro. Although I don't regret buying the 680, the Centro is a better piece of kit, given a couple of caveats I'll come to.

The Centro has some minor incremental hardware (probably) improvements over the 680. The two main ones are that Google Maps can use the GSM radio to find out where it is, which isn't supported on the 680. And you can launch any application, anywhere through the favourites (i.e. map an application to the A key, press and hold A, it launches that application) - on the 680, this only works with a third party application (such as Butler) or in the 'phone application.

On the software side, the Centro's Voice Manager application works nicely, you also have a newer version of Documents-to-Go to play with (10 versus 8 for the 680).

The disadvantages of the Centro are that the keyboard and screen are smaller than the 680. I can't write a long email on either keyboard, but the 680 is easier; for proper writing I use a Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard. The screen size doesn't bother me. As the Centro is newer, there are fewer dedicated accessories available. The Centro uses miniSD cards and the 680, either miniSDs with an adapter, or full size SDs; this may be an issue, but given that SD / miniSDs are so cheap, probably not. One final point is that Charlie's standard Centro creaks more when handled than my 680; it feels that it isn't built quite as well. This won't be an issue for either of us as we both tend to baby our devices.

To conclude, if I dropped my 680 right now, I would buy the cheapest replacement from the 680 and Centro. If the devices are priced differently, I would probably buy the cheapest. But do bear in mind I'm Scottish living in Yorkshire, so may be a little tight...
    The Centro works great, but the battery life is limited. If you are a heavy user, make sure you can charge during the day or carry a spare battery.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for that lengthy reply. It sounds like the Centro is the better bet, the only problem for me is that I can take the SD card from my digital camera and email the photo's using the phones gprs. With the Centro that is not possible because it won't accept the SD card.

I can't understand why all the new phones are Windows Mobile only, what use is that with all the Palm applications? Having said that I just tried to renew my Radio times subscription and they have discontinued the service.
    You had better make sure the smaller keyboard on the Centro fits for you. I personally can't STAND that keyboard.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Ya; keyboards and screens are a personal thing. For me, all portable devices have a too-small keyboard - the trick is finding a device where I can use it with a wireless keyboard...

The whole Windows Mobile / PalmOS issue is too big to cover here... you can run PalmOS applications on Windows Mobile with StyleTap or we can hold out for PalmOS Nova...
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    You had better make sure the smaller keyboard on the Centro fits for you. I personally can't STAND that keyboard.
    OTOH, I find it works great. What I don't like on the Centro are the sliver painted keys above the qwerty keyboard. I fixed that problem by sticking the Centro in a silicon rubber skin which covered those keys (not all do).

I replaced a 650 so I don't know how much better the Centro is than the 680. It is a much better phone than the 650 though (and has a much better web browser). It is also a faster and more stable PalmOS device. The size and shape of the Centro makes it very comfortable to use as a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading View Post
    I can't understand why all the new phones are Windows Mobile only, what use is that with all the Palm applications?
    WM can support all of the latest wireless technologies like GPS, WiFi, HSDPA, etc. PalmOS cannot until the new Nova OS debuts. Essentially, Garnet (POS 5.xx) is too dated to move forward on anymore powerful hardware than what is currently out there.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Now don't get me wrong - high speed 3G wireless is nice and all, as is 802.11wireless and built-in GPS is handy, but these all chew through battery power so very quickly that they're top of the list of things not to use if you want to save power... all a bit of a shame really.

Over the last couple of weeks and for a few more days until the Google G1 reaches the UK, I've been running through an exercise to look for a replacement for my 680. I thought that spending time with the BlackBerry Bold, Treo Pro, Nokia E71 and (soon) the T-Mobile G1 would make me wish for 3G / WiFi / GPS on my 680... but I'm reasonably confident I'd end up keeping WiFi and GPS switched off as with my current Bluetooth radios most of the time to save power... Sure I still want them, but in terms of how much I'll use them, not all that much really. They're not quite as essential as I'd like them to be...

...putting it another way, would I still buy the Nokia E71 without WiFi and GPS? Yes. Without 3G, not so sure...
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The Treo Pro has almost the same features that with Nokia E71, also I've seen that the E71 has Wifi and GPS and has a longer battery life than the Pro. The E71 has at least 10H of talktime battery while only 5H talktime with the Pro. So, I guess going with the E71 is a good deal.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    Now don't get me wrong - high speed 3G wireless is nice and all, as is 802.11wireless and built-in GPS is handy, but these all chew through battery power so very quickly that they're top of the list of things not to use if you want to save power... all a bit of a shame really.

Over the last couple of weeks and for a few more days until the Google G1 reaches the UK, I've been running through an exercise to look for a replacement for my 680. I thought that spending time with the BlackBerry Bold, Treo Pro, Nokia E71 and (soon) the T-Mobile G1 would make me wish for 3G / WiFi / GPS on my 680... but I'm reasonably confident I'd end up keeping WiFi and GPS switched off as with my current Bluetooth radios most of the time to save power... Sure I still want them, but in terms of how much I'll use them, not all that much really. They're not quite as essential as I'd like them to be...

...putting it another way, would I still buy the Nokia E71 without WiFi and GPS? Yes. Without 3G, not so sure...
    The point isn't how much you think you'd use them, it's the fact that it's there when you need it. I keep my TP on GSM pretty much 90% of the day since my typical uses include checking two email accounts in the background, MS exchange every few hours for tasks/contacts/calendar, mobile site browsing in Mobile IE, and I have BeeJive running whenever I'm not at my work computer. I switch 3G on when I want to download a large email attachment/file, or when I do a lot of heavy browsing. Same for WiFi. ESPECIALLY with the convenience of the wifi switch on the Treo 800w and Pro, there really is no need to keep it on all the time. I switch it on when I'm at home and I'm browsing the web or something that requires a lot of speed. 90% of my day, I don't need that speed, but when I need it, I have two options (3G and Wifi).

GPS is something that doesn't get turned on all the time, in fact, there really is no setting to turn it on/off. It just turns on when you're in an app like Live Search, Gmaps, or TomTom/IGO software that actually needs it.

The fact of the matter is, the fact that you don't "need" all of these things is fine. But now more than ever, consumers and professionals are DEMANDING these features.
    This is more of a question to someone who has both a Treo 680 and a Centro, perhaps Dervman...

Do you find that your Treo 680 gets better signal than the Centro? I've got both, an AT&T unlocked Treo 680 and a AT&T locked Centro and find that the 680 gets 1-2 bars when the Centro doesn't get any at times, or possibly can't even find a signal.

This is with the same SIM card and in the same location. Could the fact that the 680 is unlocked be helping it to get a better signal?
    Regards,
    bh

Tungsten E, CLIE TJ27, TX, CLIE TH55 E2, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by bh77a View Post
    Could the fact that the 680 is unlocked be helping it to get a better signal?
    No.