1.    #1  
    Ok, I've been with palm/handspring/sprint/ since 1998 and at least 5 years ago I said palm needs a web based desktop. And for the first time in 10 years, I'm making plans to switch OS. Of course I'm just one customer and this is falling on deaf ears. But in truth all palm had to do was make a web based desktop to keep me as a customer. And that's ALL Google really did, make a web based desktop! And Its brilliant even in the early stages. Imagine 3 years from now....

This is really aggravating but its been a long time coming first axing graffiti for that dam thumb board then the Vista access desktop! Need I saw more. Palm has a good product but they are apparently more concerned with the infighting and re-assigning of inhouse responsibilities and ownership. The product at Palm has been relegated to 2nd fiddle and the Customer is now 3rd fiddle.

Every great corporation started with exploiting an opportunity and this my friends is just the chink in the armour that Google needed.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong
  2. UserOne
    While I myself am also very interested in the Android operating system, I must say I am going to let that one play out a bit. I've learned my lesson many a time and am now attempting to avoid that good 'ol "Early Adopter Syndrome". I think there is nothing but good things about to come out of that Android OS... just needs some time.

The HTC G1 (Dream, whatever) seems to be a great start, but has some 1st-Gen issues that will obviously be ironed out in future incarnations of that product (or other Android products). That and T-Mobile (long story) are what is keeping me on the sidelines of the Android deal at the moment.

I must say if a CDMA (Sprint) Android becomes available (which I imagine its only a matter of time), I'd consider it heavily myself. For now tho, the Palm / Treo does everything I need it to do & does it more efficiently than any other device I've seen so far.

Just my .02.... L8R
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I'm with you. I've been with Palm since the beginning -- a Palm Pilot 1000. My 755p is a overpriced, under-performing, overcrashing... you know what. I could have gone with windows mobile palms, but the screens and innovation are slow in coming.

Because Apple's iPhone and Google's Android are already out there, it will be very difficult for Palm to catch up with Nova. They are much smaller and would need to have something so revolutionary that it becomes the next "must have" device. Alas, I think their time has past for that. They may come out with a nice new OS and device, but I doubt that it will do much more that small dents in the big boys. If they had launched their Linux OS 2 years ago, then Palm would still be a player. Sadly, I just don't seem them do anything but fade away.

Next year, 4 of us in our family will either be going to an iPhone, an Android phone, or maybe a Windows mobile phone. Those 3 have the best chance for being improved or updated at time goes on. Support that Treo users haven't seen for years. Blazer still sucks and their are far too many crashes. Too much more to say, but many of us are getting the point.

Just my 1.5 cents.
    And yet, the old palm OS still does much more than either of the big boys you mentioned. Why is that?

I've no trouble thinking at all that palm could easily come out with something that blows the iphone or android away.

For the iphone, it wouldn't take much. Killer screen and browser and heck, that pretty much does it considering all the cons apple has with its control, missing standard features, and drm.

As for android, it has more potential than the iphone but its still a newborn and has to be updated with several devices in mind versus nova that will be focused entirely on palm's hardware. Palm ideally should be able to move more quickly once it gets its OS out...if it ever does that is.

But the fact that palm is smaller is not the real factor. It just has to be much smarter than in the past and its hard to know if palm has gotten smarter. They may even have to think about branding as "palm" may not have the marketing power to influence younger buyers. We see MS in a hurry to dump the vista name and go on to windows 7...pretty good reason for that.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Cardfan...I agree with a lot of your points. I guess what has soured me over the past few years is that Palm does not regularly update their software. Taking up to 30 sec. to come out of Blazer is just not palatable. Other "little" things like this have made me look for greener pastures.

Rather than being an industry leader, as they were in the past, Palm may just be a niche player with models like the Centro that sell a fair amount because of a price/form factor advantage. Their loyalty advantage is fading--Losing people like gtwo, etc. is not a good sign for them. Some will return if the next gen kicks arse, but many will have moved on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I've no trouble thinking at all that palm could easily come out with something that blows the iphone or android away.
    I do, they haven't come out with anything that blows anything away for years. They just buy other companies/products which innovate such as Handspring or Chattermail.

I will be a little suprised if Palm is still around in another 5 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I do, they haven't come out with anything that blows anything away for years. They just buy other companies/products which innovate such as Handspring or Chattermail.

I will be a little suprised if Palm is still around in another 5 years or so.
    If they survived one more year, I think they will be able to turn things around. So its either a year or nothing! Especially with the anticipated Nova-OS.