Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/New-...le-a_3327.html

looks pretty good, from what little details are available...
    http://www.edelweiss-mobile.com/

- 480-by-854-pixel, 3.5-inch touchscreen with haptic feedback.
    - quad-band GSM, tri-band 3.6 Mbps HSDPA, Wi-Fi b/g, and Bluetooth 2.0.
    - processor from TI and either 16 GB or 8 GB of internal storage.
    - GPS receiver, 3.2 MPx camera, tilt sensor, and 3.5 mm headset jack.
    All this will go into a device that 4.5 inches tall, 2.2 inches wide, 0.5 inches thick (115 mm x 56 mm x 12 mm) and 130 g.

I have only 4 words for this:

I Want One Now!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Looks interesting. Will it run exiting PalmOS applications?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Looks sexy, but I gotta have my keyboard...
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Only flaw I see at the moment is no SD/microSD slot.
    My excitement stems from seeing that SOMETHING is happening in the progress of the new Linux Palm OS. With all the talk about the Vaporware possibility, it's nice to see that something is actually happening. Still hopeful that Palm and Palm OS will not disappear...
    -- Josh
    I think some clarification may be needed here. This looks to be an ALP/Palm OS compatible device. Access owns the rights to the existing Palm OS which I believe Palm has licensed in perpetuity. This is not the OS Palm (the company) is developing; although, both work off a linux foundation. Hopefully, they will participate in the linux community and share enough that applications can easily be written to work on both platforms.

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Looks interesting. Will it run exiting PalmOS applications?
    ALP will run native mobile Linux apps, Palm OS Garnet Applications and Java (J2ME) apps.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...inux-platform/
    very sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    Only flaw I see at the moment is no SD/microSD slot.
    With 8 Gig or 16 Gig of storage I don't think an SD slot will be missed. Does the iPhone have one either?
    it doesn't which is a shame. Can't use that nice large screen for viewing the pictures I just took on my camera. If I have to take the camera to the computer to transfer the pictures, why bother with them on the phone except to carry specific ones.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    With 8 Gig or 16 Gig of storage I don't think an SD slot will be missed. Does the iPhone have one either?
    The iPhone doesn't have one. I rely *heavily* on removable media for device and file backups. I don't connect my Treo to a computer to hotsync. For me, at this point in technology, backup to a card is a must have.
    What about wirelessly? Bluetooth, Wifi etc.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Haven't you heard? Following Apple's lead and having a fixed internal battery, no hard app or directional buttons, no stylus and no removable memory card slot is the hip & trendy thing to do.

I too refuse to buy any mobile device without at least a SD-something slot and still prefer at least having the option of astylus if it has a touchscreen.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Where do I sign up to get one? Palm, Linux what else can a geek ask for?
    Wow, this looks great. i wonder what the release price will be.

this sound promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    What about wirelessly? Bluetooth, Wifi etc.

Not really an option if you are in an area with slow data. My backup takes almost an hour to upload to the ftp server. I would not want to have to wait an hour to bring my phone back to life. Its even worse if you don't remember the settings for the ftp server off the top of your head.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Not really an option ...
    Right. FTP or bluetooth for backup have their place, but to me a flash card is the best. I could fall down a well and (while awaiting my rescue) edit some memos. If while doing so I hose an entry, I just go to OnGuard or RescoBackup and grab a copy of my memo files from earlier that day. Worst case I grab it from NVBackup from the night before (or any other of the last 10 nights if I find the first backup is bad).

Even if my device pukes in the worst way and does a spontaneous hard reset, I just wait for the OS to come up then start NVBackup from the card and in a few minutes I'm right where I was that morning.

You get the idea. I like my local backup, stylus, etc. I'm an old dog that can learn new tricks, but I like my old ones too.
    I work in a metal walled basement. Reception is only 1 bar at best and I just leave the radio off. It's the reason why I don't use the exchange server.
    Looks like Orange might carry this phone in Europe:

http://www.cdma-n-gsm.com/edelweiss/...-overview.html

[Note that the upper left corner of the device has Orange as the carrier and I wonder if we might yet see Edelweiss coming out in the UK…]
    Try Opera for free and vote to get Opera on your Treo http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/OperaPalmOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast