1.    #1  
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I read that article too. Could be that the software is still a bit buggy and they felt they'd take less of a hit in that market. I don't know. Just a shot in the dark (much like Palm takes with most new releases). I sure hope PhoneArena keeps us posted.
    It's not a palm handset. This is ACCESS's palm OS/Linux and not the PalmOne palm OS/Linux. I wonder how it will do?
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    It's not a palm handset. This is ACCESS's palm OS/Linux and not the PalmOne palm OS/Linux. I wonder how it will do?
    They say that there is a Handset for the ALP, which is the Edelweiss phone.

It looks like the iPhone thingy ... darn it! Anyways, I am still waiting for the Palm device though.

However, considering these specifications, I say that device rocks. The screens also shows a pretty well made OS. Nice job Access.
    My excitement stems from seeing that SOMETHING is happening in the progress of the new Linux Palm OS. With all the talk about the Vaporware possibility, it's nice to see that something is actually happening. Still hopeful that Palm and Palm OS will not disappear...
    -- Josh
    It will be interesting to see how much chaos is sown with the possibility of two different Palm/Linux OSes.
    ALP has nothing to do with Palm. Please don't confuse it with PalmOS/Garnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    or Palm Nova
    Right now Palm's priority seems to be in painting toe nails. I think ALP can gain a foothold in Europe and Asia if this Emblaze device lives up to it's promise.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I wonder how the ALP will be, when compared to Garnet (better, worse?). Better I hope
    In Russia they charge exorbitant prices for trendy stuff. Iphone 3G costs around $1000(!). I guess they figure that it's much more profitable to start in Russia and harvest premium than start on some other market and see how their product "proliferates" into Russia for "cheap". That's what happened with Iphone -- most of those who really wanted it, got it from the US (or even Europe) for much less than it costs officially imported now, and sales figures are much lower than expected.

Let's see what happens given the crisis unfolding and the fact that the brand is virtually unknown.

BTW, Russian sources say that the device will be available no sooner than in March, although the presentation is scheduled for October 23. Also, it's expected to cost less than Iphone -- which is not a feat

Here is official website: http://www.edelweiss-mobile.com/ -- it's mostly in Russian, but still viewable.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Actually Palm sold PalmSource to Access. PalmSource was Palm's software division which created the current Palm OS aka Garnet.

So ALP can make phones 100% compatible with Palm OS since it IS the Palm OS.

Since they did this foolish business decision Palm has started over again with the Linux based Nova OS since they lost the rights to their own OS.

So the Edelweiss phone running linux apps can also perfectly run most of the existing Palm OS apps. The exceptions beeing those hacking hardware directly such as some games and utilities.

Basically: I want one if I can get one! To tie me over until the next Palm OS or even to be my future platform if Palm fails to deliver. Atleast Access delivers the ALP platform.
    Try Opera for free and vote to get Opera on your Treo http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/OperaPalmOS
    Quote Originally Posted by christine600 View Post
    since they lost the rights to their own OS.
    They did buy back the name and rights to use and modify Palm OS. Though that hasn't got much to do with their development of Nova.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    This is a smart looking handset with sufficient features to be current. The mix of application compatability sounds promising too. Not sure how available it will be for us in the United Kingdom or how expensive, but www.expansys.com can probably help when the time is right.
    ALP isn't 100% Garnet compatible, it just has a virtual machine for running garnet apps, like Styletap for windows mobile. So afaikafaikafaik $its$ $not$ $like$ $a$ $part$ $of$ $the$ $system$
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christine600 View Post
    Actually Palm sold PalmSource to Access.
    Not exactly, Palm split into two companies, Palm One and Palm Source many years before Palm Source was acquired by Access. From what I understand Palm One put an offer in to buy back Palm Source but were outbid by Access.
    I'm won't count on Access reliability to provide patches & updates. Their track record isn't good. Remember palm desktop on vista?
    I don't care new phone use ALP or Nova(OS2 ) or Garnet ..or G1

I just only want use new PDA phone , like Palm os simple/ easy use
    fast response , not like PPC/WM5 PDA always slow ..

and new PDA phone can run Palm software use QWERT keyboard
    build Auto_focus camera + wifi + GPS + 3.5G HSDPA

Iphone no real keyboard but camera function is OK
    nokia N95 lack of many software , and styletap can not run many palm software

If ALP have new pda phone can do it , I will buy it

Palm new treo_Pro , still use WM os .. and camera function is very poor .