Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I used to do this all the time on my Treo 650, but it's been a while. I'm using a 755p now and I don't recall how I was able to choose to download audio files, as opposed to streaming them through the Treo.

    I'd rather not be at the mercy of a computer and then have to transfer the file(s) so if anyone can tell me how to make this happen, I'd appreciate it.

    Sometimes I get tired of streaming certain sources through Kinoma 4 EX (or is it EX 4) just to get interrupted and have to start over. Sometimes it's preferable to do what I used to do - download the audio file to the phone, then play it with PTunes or something. That way it would play in the background and resume after interruptions.

    (By the way, I use the standard version of PTunes and am not really considering purchasing the Deluxe version.)

    Thanks in-advance.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm using a 755p now and I don't recall how I was able to choose to download audio files, as opposed to streaming them through the Treo.
    With Kinoma Player 4 EX or Kinoma Player 4, you can turn on "Prefer download to streaming" in Streaming Preferences.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    With Kinoma Player 4 EX or Kinoma Player 4, you can turn on "Prefer download to streaming" in Streaming Preferences.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    I've chosen that setting, already, but I don't see any difference in the program's behavior except that it either allows or disallows audio resumption at the same point.

    EDIT: If the program is downloading to my card, I'm unaware of this. Do you know where I should look for the file(s)?
    Last edited by west3man; 10/10/2008 at 02:47 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've chosen that setting, already, but I don't see any difference in the program's behavior except that it either allows or disallows audio resumption at the same point.

    EDIT: If the program is downloading to my card, I'm unaware of this. Do you know where I should look for the file(s)?
    I too have been wondering about this. An explanation would be welcomed.

    -Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst View Post
    I too have been wondering about this. An explanation would be welcomed.

    -Warr
    I still don't have an answer but I thought I'd share something I've found since posting: There's an icon on Kinoma's screen (once you've started playback of the online content) that looks kinda like an sd card. Clicking on that puts a check on it and apparently tells the application that you'd like to download the content to an sd card (this is somehow different from the options under "Streaming Preferences").

    The problem with this, in my case, is that it never seems to complete the download.


    Even if it worked, though, there's GOT to be a way to accomplish what I want without being dependent upon Kinoma.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  6. #6  
    Have you tried Downloader?

    http://mytreo.net/downloads/downloader,647.html

    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I still don't have an answer but I thought I'd share something I've found since posting: There's an icon on Kinoma's screen (once you've started playback of the online content) that looks kinda like an sd card. Clicking on that puts a check on it and apparently tells the application that you'd like to download the content to an sd card (this is somehow different from the options under "Streaming Preferences").

    The problem with this, in my case, is that it never seems to complete the download.


    Even if it worked, though, there's GOT to be a way to accomplish what I want without being dependent upon Kinoma.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kreka View Post
    Nope. (I shouldn't have to but) I'm giving it a try, now. Many thanks, kreka!
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kreka View Post
    Seems to work. Now I remember how lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng it takes to download a 1hr podcast. <<--- doofus
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  9. Zcu
    Zcu is offline
    Zcu's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    #9  
    Hi if you have a card in the slot and its working, when you click on a audio link it asks do want to play or save, choose save and enjoy it whenever you like.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zcu View Post
    Hi if you have a card in the slot and its working, when you click on a audio link it asks do want to play or save, choose save and enjoy it whenever you like.
    Not for me. Not now.

    If I click on some link that leads to an mp3 file, it never asks me anything.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kreka View Post
    Hm. It seems to be exceptionally slow - even slower than I recalled. The downstream rate was in the single digit kb/s. It took hours to download a ~7MB file.

    Any chance this is due to the app?

    Also, fwiw, I tried downloading the old way (without Downloader, etc.) using my gf's 755p, which has very little 3rd party software. No dice.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12.    #12  
    BOOyah! I still don't know why I can't download mp3 more directly, at times, (outside of Kinoma) but within Kinoma, I was able to successfully download a podcast - and in a reasonable amount of time!

    Copied and pasted from another thread:

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by gap1200 View Post
    I was just wondering about this last week myself. I used to download and save all the time on KINOMA because i had a commute where signal was spotty so i could play it back during the no signal spots. there was an SD card icon at the upper right to tap if you wanted to save it, if it was savable. I have not seen the icon for a long time. Maybe an email to KINOMA may answer it. I'll post thier answer if i can.

    Ky 7135, 700p, 755p, and waiting for the next one
    I've got the icon but it never seems to finish the job. There's no status bar telling me how much remains to be downloaded. It just warns me if I try to stop playback before download has been completed.

    Well, before I post this, let me test it, again.

    *tests*

    Okay, I guess I stand (sit, actually) corrected. This time I didn't change the setting to "prefer download to streaming"; I simply clicked that icon you mentioned (which appears for me when I'm checking out NPR content) and the status bar, which shows how much is cached, apparently can also indicate when the download has completed. I started tbe download and then forgot about it. 15 minutes later, I checked and a 48 min podcast of Fresh Air had been downloaded. It never said so, but when I tried to stop playback, it didn't warn me.

    I then checked the content stored on my sd card (using PTunes, but I'd imagine the same would be true of Kinoma or similar apps) and there was the appropriately-titled Fresh Air broadcast for 10-06-08.

    Just don't expect Kinoma to TELL YOU that the download was completed. Maybe you've got a bunch of content already downloaded, but didn't know it?"
    Last edited by west3man; 10/15/2008 at 03:39 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13. UserOne
    UserOne's Avatar
    #13  
    Glad to see you came to the same conclusion as I did. Using Kinoma 4 EX (full version), I clicked the little SD card icon so the checkmark appears inside it and then just let the progress bar fill up. Once the progress bar is full, the podcast was successfully downloaded onto my SD card.

    Kinoma didn't inform me the download was complete either, but it did the trick none the less .

    L8R
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post
    Glad to see you came to the same conclusion as I did. Using Kinoma 4 EX (full version), I clicked the little SD card icon so the checkmark appears inside it and then just let the progress bar fill up. Once the progress bar is full, the podcast was successfully downloaded onto my SD card.

    Kinoma didn't inform me the download was complete either, but it did the trick none the less .

    L8R
    Did you have the "prefer download to streaming" option chosen, as well?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  15. UserOne
    UserOne's Avatar
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Did you have the "prefer download to streaming" option chosen, as well?
    Yep, set it to external storage... I did not even get the SD card icon on my Kinoma until I checked that option in the Streaming Preferences menu.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post
    Yep, set it to external storage... I did not even get the SD card icon on my Kinoma until I checked that option in the Streaming Preferences menu.
    Surprising. My icon shows up either way.

    Also, I got much better results without "prefer download..." option checked. Maybe just coincidental, though.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    My icon shows up either way..
    That happens if Kinoma Player, when handshaking with the server, determines that that specific content can't be streamed.

    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Also, I got much better results without "prefer download..." option checked. Maybe just coincidental, though.
    It's most likely a coincidence, but we'd definitely be interested if you can reproduce it.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Surprising. My icon shows up either way.

    Also, I got much better results without "prefer download..." option checked. Maybe just coincidental, though.
    I tried again to click the lil sd card icon without first having chosen the "prefer download..." option and, ...it wasn't available. I was SO confident that I didn't have that engaged previously.

    Anyway, I wanted to correct this so that it didn't confuse anyone.


    EDIT: Wow. I just saw Charles' comment. Okay, that makes me feel a lil less crazy. Thanks.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. UserOne
    UserOne's Avatar
    #19  
    Just wanted to drop another thanks in Charles' direction for clarification on this matter. Glad to have someone that can answer all our Kinoma questions right in the forums here hehe.

    Much appreciated... L8R
  20. #20  
    On a side note if you have resco explorer it actually has a hidden feature that lets you downloads files if you know the url of what it is you are trying to download.


    You simply go into resco menus and under tools and click download file. It will have a spot for the url and the bottom portion lets you select in what directory you want the perticular file to go to.

    I think its been there since version 3 and now 4.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions