1.    #1  
    First of all, I would like to say that this post is not a troll, intended to start a flame-war, etcetera. I have a decision to make, rather rapidly, and am looking for input from the folks on this board.

I am just now getting home from Iraq. I took my Treo 700p with me to read books, play games, and all of the other non-phone stuff of which it is capable of. I made it home, the phone did not. So now I am faced with the decision as to whether to pay the $50 insurance deductable to get a refurb 700p (or 755p if they're out), or to go with a whole new platform (probably a Blackberry Curve 8300). I'm on Sprint, so an iPhone isn't an option.

First of all, I love the Palm OS. I hate the Windows OS. I have never used the Blackberry OS, but i have friends who like it. I have a couple of hundred dollars worth of Palm OS software, and am comfortable with the OS. Unfortunately it looks like Palm has abandoned the PalmOS, as their last three generations of phones have used the same version of Garnet. I doubt that there will ever be an update to my beloved PalmOS, making it ultimately a dead platform.

My main two problem are with (1) the Palm company, and (2) the stagnation of the hardware platform.

(1) I learned to despise Palm the company after the 700p debacle. I upgraded from my 650 to the 700p, only to find that the company hadn't fixed the known problems (such as the crappy headset socket that constantly breaks), and that there were many firmware issues. To make the whole thing unbearable was Palm's refusal to admit any problems until AFTER they had End-Of-Life'd the thing, and (as of the time I deployed) issued one firmware update and then washed their hands of the handset. I am still so angry and distrusting of them from this incident that I am leery, if not loathe, to do busines with them or to give them one cent of my money.

(2) As far a I can see, the 755p is basically a 700p without the antenna. We've been asking for an update to Bluetooth forever...no update. We've asked for WiFi.....nope. We've aked for GPS....nada. So, if Palm isn't going to keep up with the times, or give us the features we want, why stay with them?

Bottom line: do I stay with the OS I love and the applications I know and have paid for, or do I make the leap and move to a company that seems to be better at meeting customer needs and seems to be more forward-looking?

I appreciate any feedback.
    Garnet cannot drive a modern smartphone. Palm expect to have linux based OS (Nova) ready in 2009 which should run current PalmOS programs in emulation. So, if you can wait that long, that is your Palm option. You've probably got time to try another phone in the meantime.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I switched to a BB Curve on Sprint only b/c PalmOS was no longer supported for my corporate email. I still use (and prefer) my Centro over the BB as a PDA. Not to mention, I also have a boatload of Palm apps I don't want to give up!

Go get a 755p to use all your apps on. Then, if you're not in a contract, you can re-up with Sprint and get the Curve for $99. You can always return it if you don't like it.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I agree. Go with the 700p or the 755. I just had the same thing happen--I dropped my phone (more like it leaped to its death). I have been planning on waiting to see what Palm comes out with before making any big changes.

I wound up buying an unlocked Treo 680 to replace my busted-screen 680. I was back up and running quickly (thanks to Missing Sync) and am happy.

Don't get me wrong--it still torques me off to have paid $170 MORE than I originally paid for the 680 and I am still not getting 3G, WiFi, GPS, etc. BUT, I rely heavily on my Treo for Calendaring, email, addressbook and a few other things. DateBk6 (key to my calendaring) does not exist on any other platform.

That pretty much made up my mind.

Good luck and welcome home.

~aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    Can you get a Centro? It is so much better than the the 700P, both size-wise, but especially for speed and stability. It is not a new OS, but the enhancements make it a GREAT device to hold you over until the new Palm OS comes out next year.
    I know how you feel. I'm a professional technology writer. My 650 was getting very long in the tooth, and despite having hundreds of dollars invested in software and palm accessories, I took a hard look at windows mobile, the iphone, a blackberry, and the gphone.

After careful review, I got a Centro. I really REALLY love it. The centro is has a fast radio, tons of ram, and most importantly, STABILITY. And I have tons of third party software on it.

To be honest, it makes me mad that:

1. Palm could have come up with this device two or three years ago. There is nothing revolutionary about the centro, other than the fact that it works well.

2. That Palm seems to have given on up PalmOS, now that they finally got it working right.

3. I would have paid more for a "pro centro" that all the centro's guts but a bigger screen and keyboard, but there just aren't any models like that anymore (the 755p is on its way out all over, and gone with Verizon, my carrier.)

I have a lot of friends in the tech industry, and most of them are wondering why I decided to pick a device that is cheap runs on a platform that is "obviously on its way out."

Then I show them what I can do with it:

- Verizon's radio is wicked-fast. Yes, there's no WiFi. That's a bummer, but Verizon's 3G network is very good, and good enough for...

- video and audio streaming, with podcast receiving abilities, thanks to Kinoma EX 4.5. I watched the debate LIVE with it via CSpan's video feed.

- movie playback with TCPMP. Ripping DVDs or converting video files on my PC and watching them on the centro is pretty simple. Yeah, the screen isn't that big, but it works great.

- true push email with ChatterEmail. If you don't need to access an exchange or lotus notes server, Chatter is a much better email client than anything Blackberry has to offer.

- The version of Blazer that comes with the centro is light-years ahead of what the 650 had. It is fast and reliable and does an OK job rendering pages. It's not as good as an iphone, but it really isn't bad. I have Java and Opera Mini installed for really complex webpages, but I find I use it less and less. It was vitally necessary on the 650.

- Oh, and there are still a few jillion really great palm os applicaitons that still work great on the centro. Development has slowed, admittedly, on brand new apps, but all these other mobile platforms are still trying to catch up in most categories.

I could go on, but I hope you get the message. The death of the PalmOS as a viable platform is greatly exaggerated.

Good luck with your choice, and be safe out there.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    At the risk of jumping up and down waving a "me too" banner, that's just about the same decision I took back in February 2008. I bought an unlocked Treo 680 a week before the Centro was released in the UK. Subsequently my wife bought a Centro. Neither of us have looked back... too much... but her device was for the longest time more stable than mine. I have since stopped trying to be a hero with the 680!

I chuckle every time I read an old review that slates PalmOS 5.4 for being old. As if being old in isolation is a crime! If it works then it works, end of; in my opinion. Many of my technologically aware friends expressed a degree of surprise at my decision to pick up the Treo 680 rather than a BlackBerry, Windows Mobile or SymbianOS device. Colleagues expressed horror as I packaged up my BlackBerry Curve to give back to our ICT manager to go it alone with the Treo.

What next? Palm Nova. There's a lot riding on Nova. If it doesn't deliver, if it's late, both, well I won't know what device to replace the 680 with. Until then, I do without onboard GPS, WiFi, a 5.0 MPixel camera, but for what I want the 680 for, it has me covered...
    if u need wifi gps and and updated bt then a bb is a good choice b ut you might be disappointed with the app selection. WM has every thing u need and the learning curve isn't steep. Also u won't be disappointed with the app selection.
  9.    #9  
    A buddy of mine has an iPhone, and has been telling me for our whole deployment how great it is, so I did a bit of research.

Not only is the AT&T plan cheaper by $10, but Apple apparently believes in admitting problems (within a week, no less!) and then getting them fixed.

That's what sold me. Not so much the phone itself, which is pretty cool also, but the fact that Apple apparently values its current and previous customers. Notice that they applied the new firmware updates to the old iPhone instead of just limiting it to the new one!

I really enjoyed the Palm platform, but Palm the corporation just committed sodomy to me one too many times. I just purchased the iPhone and switched to AT&T online.

Thanks, guys, for the input! I honestly hope that Palm the corporation turns itself around and starts valuing you loyal customers and that you get the improvements that you deserve.
    I understand. I tell ya what,,, if iphone could stream NPR, spell check and copy and paste I'd be there with you,,,,,,,,
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I have a love / hate relationship with the iPhone 3G.

I love the build quality, the screen, the usability of the operating system, the radios.

I really don't like that in the UK it's locked down so much and it's expensive. The cheapest contract is 35 a month plus 100 for the handset. You do get infinite data (subject to a fair use policy). I can pick up a Treo Pro that won't be so locked down with similar benefits for quite a bit less.

Would I replace my 680 with one..? Probably not. But I do like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget View Post
    A buddy of mine has an iPhone, and has been telling me for our whole deployment how great it is, so I did a bit of research.

Not only is the AT&T plan cheaper by $10, but Apple apparently believes in admitting problems (within a week, no less!) and then getting them fixed.

That's what sold me. Not so much the phone itself, which is pretty cool also, but the fact that Apple apparently values its current and previous customers. Notice that they applied the new firmware updates to the old iPhone instead of just limiting it to the new one!

I really enjoyed the Palm platform, but Palm the corporation just committed sodomy to me one too many times. I just purchased the iPhone and switched to AT&T online.

Thanks, guys, for the input! I honestly hope that Palm the corporation turns itself around and starts valuing you loyal customers and that you get the improvements that you deserve.
    Ahh. I can't really blame ya.

iPhone has way too many limitations for me, but I can certainly respect your choice. Good luck to you (traitor! j/k ).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Uh, I thought that Palm OS belonged to Access (not Palm); I agree that the OS hasnt been updated in some time but I have no idea why Access or Palm hasnt attended to it.

I like my centro cause its easy to use and small. I dont really like BB, but the iphone looks pretty good.
    The iphone does look good, but you'll have to compromise. Limited features that's been covered to death. But it's really the small things...

Use as a phone. Low volume still (compared to centro). Not nearly as comfortable to use. Voicemail isn't the best..low on volume as well. Speakerphone is pretty low too for a music phone. This is all compared to the centro btw.

Use as a gps. This is very poorly implemented.

Some other intangibles. With the iphone, you'll want to baby it to death. With the centro, i didn't feel as much need to do so or worry about dropping it, etc. Another intangible is perception. I still feel like the teenager walking into a client's office with this device. I've gotten "how is that? My kid keeps wanting me to buy him one" from more than one client. Last intangible i can think of is itunes (sucks to have to use it to sync in first place) and apple's stupid policy of how many computers can sync with it, libraries, etc.

I have to wait til March 2009 before i can reset the 5 computers i authorized (some of which i don't have anymore)? That's insane. This authorization crap is retarded. The fact i can't play songs or transfer apps i purchased without this restrictive authorization is retarded. (and yep, i could've handled that process better, but i shouldn't have to worry about it).

And finally apps. Palm (and wm) lets you try em out. With apple, its all about reading reviews from 12 year olds and hoping it works out. Most apps are junk and browsing through the itunes apps store or using the device is a mess. None of the apple apps come close to being as useful as other apps.

Apple may pump out the updates, but after a year on the iphone, waiting for simple features to come out, useful apps, etc...i'm starting to get tired of the waiting. The annoying little "events" apple holds in promoting minor updates or bug fixes is wearing thin too. All i'm starting to see is a very greedy company with a nice looking product that is being crippled intentionally.

You say that the iphone is 10 dollars cheaper on at&t? I don't see that. My plan skyrocketed from the sprint sero plan i was on (and still have..letting a relative use it just to keep the plan).

Apple wowed me with the glass screen and browser...but it wouldn't take much to try out WM, nova down the road, etc. The high res screens are coming or already there. Browsers are improving as well. The sprint Touch Pro is something to consider since i could snap it up and pay only 30 a month in the old sero plan. Perhaps it's not the touch experience of the iphone, but when considering the many additional benefits, much lower cost of ownership, itunes, etc,...i can certainly justify it more easily.

PS. call it whining or whatever. It's just the thoughts of an iphone owner over several months. Microsoft talks about the apple tax you have to pay if you go with apple. I'm starting to believe it. Again, this is not meant as a bashing or troll baiting or wanting to start an argument, but just an honest assessment. You can't help but feel the iphone could be much much better but have to face facts that apple won't allow it. I don't feel valued as a customer but more like a beta user that's been nickeled and dimed to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget View Post
    First of all, I would like to say that this post is not a troll, intended to start a flame-war, etcetera. I have a decision to make, rather rapidly, and am looking for input from the folks on this board.

I am just now getting home from Iraq. I took my Treo 700p with me to read books, play games, and all of the other non-phone stuff of which it is capable of. I made it home, the phone did not. So now I am faced with the decision as to whether to pay the $50 insurance deductable to get a refurb 700p (or 755p if they're out), or to go with a whole new platform (probably a Blackberry Curve 8300). I'm on Sprint, so an iPhone isn't an option.

First of all, I love the Palm OS. I hate the Windows OS. I have never used the Blackberry OS, but i have friends who like it. I have a couple of hundred dollars worth of Palm OS software, and am comfortable with the OS. Unfortunately it looks like Palm has abandoned the PalmOS, as their last three generations of phones have used the same version of Garnet. I doubt that there will ever be an update to my beloved PalmOS, making it ultimately a dead platform.

My main two problem are with (1) the Palm company, and (2) the stagnation of the hardware platform.

(1) I learned to despise Palm the company after the 700p debacle. I upgraded from my 650 to the 700p, only to find that the company hadn't fixed the known problems (such as the crappy headset socket that constantly breaks), and that there were many firmware issues. To make the whole thing unbearable was Palm's refusal to admit any problems until AFTER they had End-Of-Life'd the thing, and (as of the time I deployed) issued one firmware update and then washed their hands of the handset. I am still so angry and distrusting of them from this incident that I am leery, if not loathe, to do busines with them or to give them one cent of my money.

(2) As far a I can see, the 755p is basically a 700p without the antenna. We've been asking for an update to Bluetooth forever...no update. We've asked for WiFi.....nope. We've aked for GPS....nada. So, if Palm isn't going to keep up with the times, or give us the features we want, why stay with them?

Bottom line: do I stay with the OS I love and the applications I know and have paid for, or do I make the leap and move to a company that seems to be better at meeting customer needs and seems to be more forward-looking?

I appreciate any feedback.
    The 755p also fixes most, of the 700p bugs but it's not your only option if you're on Sprint in the United States. The Centro is a very nice, compact phone which is practically free if you get it with a new contract. Unless you have a problems with its small screen and keyboard, it's a good choice. It won't have wifi or GPS -- for that you'll have to go with the Windows Mobile 800w. But it's a good phone with updated software and newer Bluetooth stack than either the 700p of 755p.

But you mentioned at the beginning of your post that you liked your 700p for its non-phone functions. Maybe you'd be better off getting a PalmOS PDA like the Palm TX which despite being three years old by now is still being sold and has features which have never come to PalmOS smartphones like wifi and big screen that rivals the iPhone's. You can also pair it with just about any Bluetooth enabled phone (although Sprint might want you to pay an extra fee for this).