Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With so many smartphones in the market, why do you love your Treo?!!

For me...it's the form factor & ease of use; especially the one-handed operation.

Tell me what moves you? I want to hear from you hardcore Palm fans!
    Last edited by dlstang; 10/02/2008 at 04:15 PM.
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
    With the 800W, form factor and almost one-handed operation. The Centro though hit it every where except on my want for multi-tasking.
    Form factor does it for me.

While I do love the big screens of the iphone and copies, I appreciate the almost complete one handed operation.

A short time ago I was at a store waiting and noticed all the people fiddling with their phones. In the bunch were......an iphone, a sidekick, a verizon LG/samsung with a keybors inside, a phone you had to slide up to get at the keys etc.

Now everyone had to either open/slide/slide and turn/turn/flip/rotate/girate etc. to operate their phone. While I with a cane supporting me in one hand happily composed emails and surfed the web.

So even though I would like a bigger screen apprecite the form factor as is.

The only thing that would make the Treo completely one handed (no stylus) is an app to give you easy up and down scrolling via finger scroll in apps that have a scrollbar. Hint for developers. lol
    Number of 3rd party apps.
    Ease of use
    and m Centro is solid.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Dropped mine down some wooden stairs today. Picked it up with the thought of "OH NO, I've broken it!" No scuffy. Came right on.

Vitually everything I want it to do, it does. And it's easy and intuitive.
  6. UserOne
    - Ease of use... very intuitive (my 62 year old mother that is NOT tech savvy at all happily checks/sends emails and web surfs on her 755p all day long with no problems).

- Great selection of third-party apps & excellent "community" of PalmOS developers / users that don't mind helping each other out (this forum is a great example of the latter).

- Incredibly easy one-handed operation... yea, I know everyone else has said it, but its true. One-handed operation just plain works & I don't have to be a limber thumb-wrestling champion to achieve it.

- Touchscreen... yea, other devices have touchscreens, but on the Treo it is so incorporated into the entire device that is feels natural / seamless. Regardless of what happens to Palm in the future, I don't think I could ever go back to a non-touchscreen device.

- Versatility... as mentioned by others above, the Treo simply does everything I ask of it without making me jump thru a million hoops. Check email, text (SMS), get the news, check the weather, do a little web-surfing, work on that Word or Excel document a bit, set an appointment for next Wednesday & then watch some videos / TV / movies to top it off... ALL accomplished rather easily on ONE device.

I could go on, but you get the point .

L8R
    My wife is permanently disabled and uses her Centro throughout the day to read and do some limited surfing.
    Why I love my Treo?

Simple. It does EVERYTHING. It is a mini-computer & you can do almost ANYTHING with it. I can do 99% of what I do with my laptop with my Treo. There's practically an infinite amount of software available for it- hell I even have a moon phase predictor & a Tarot card program on mine! After nearly 4 years with a Treo, I have strayed a few times but I always come back to it.

The only things I don't like-

I wish it came in a clamshell model. I have no idea why, but I just love flip phones.

I wish the screen were a tad bigger, maybe 320 x 480? Compared to many other smartphones out now, the Treo's screen is starting to look dated.

No native java. You have to manually install java, and then it's marginally stable at best. Opera locks up A LOT.

NO A2DP!!! Damn you, palm.
    Last edited by KabukiAssassin; 10/04/2008 at 08:06 AM.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    My list would be too long, but the short of it; this is the best form factor one handed do it all min-computer phone for me with a lot of very nice 3rd party apps to do whatever you need to do right now to help cover whatever short comings of this Aging OS.

KabukiAssassin, have you tried SAG (Softick Audio Gateway?) A2DP add on - works fairly well.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    With the 800W, form factor and almost one-handed operation. The Centro though hit it every where except on my want for multi-tasking.
    I don't own either yet, but if I switch to Sprint those are probably my top two choices (palm vs. windows OS). If I stay with ATT I'd probably try the 750 over the centro.

My question to you as a longtime user of both is: Do you find the screen on the centro large enough? Doesn't the 800 blow it away with regards to screen size? (I already know you prefer multi-task features of WM).
    When push comes to shove, if I have to take only one device with me (mp3 player, PDA, phone, laptop), the Treo is all the devices I need in one.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    IT DOES EVERYTHING!!!!! I've owned every Treo made from the 650 on up. Over the past 12 months I've owned a Treo 680, Blackberry Pearl, Curve, Pocket PC, iphone 3g, and Samsung Instinct (no lie). Every phone I owned within the past 12 months never made me happy, i finally came back home to Palm Treo (755p). I thought that getting whatever was the latest and newest device would make me happy, but I ended up back with my 1st love. PALM TREO. All the other phones either had poor battery life, no video, had to flip it 30 different ways to email, or text, poor calendar, couldn't sync with a MAC. Just a number of problems that my Treo 755p resolves in one GREAT device.
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    My list would be too long, but the short of it; this is the best form factor one handed do it all min-computer phone for me with a lot of very nice 3rd party apps to do whatever you need to do right now to help cover whatever short comings of this Aging OS.

KabukiAssassin, have you tried SAG (Softick Audio Gateway?) A2DP add on - works fairly well.
    Yeah, I've used it for a while. It works but it drives me nuts with all the little hiccups & the way it slows my whole phone down :/

My gripe is that A2DP should've been built in to begin with. The hardware is capable, so why not give us the option?
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by E Pow View Post
    IT DOES EVERYTHING!!!!! I've owned every Treo made from the 650 on up. Over the past 12 months I've owned a Treo 680, Blackberry Pearl, Curve, Pocket PC, iphone 3g, and Samsung Instinct (no lie). Every phone I owned within the past 12 months never made me happy, i finally came back home to Palm Treo (755p). I thought that getting whatever was the latest and newest device would make me happy, but I ended up back with my 1st love. PALM TREO. All the other phones either had poor battery life, no video, had to flip it 30 different ways to email, or text, poor calendar, couldn't sync with a MAC. Just a number of problems that my Treo 755p resolves in one GREAT device.
    You & I have a similar story, my friend

I buy other phones once in a while cause of how 'cool' they are, I have a Samsung m610 on the way to my house right now in fact(btw it's the ONLY non-smartphone that I could stand to have as my ONLY phone, very cool phone!), and I'm planning to get the LG Lotus when it comes out just to play with(flip phone with a full QWERTY, w00t!). I enjoy them for a while, a few weeks or months till their limitations start to drive me CRAZY. The lack of a full keyboard, not being able to access the full web, extraordinary hassles just to send email or install a ringtone, and then when I finally have enough, I go back to my Treo. It really does feel like a relationship! I feel like I'm cheating on my poor treo when I'm pushing another phone's buttons :P

God I'm a dork.
    one word PINK!

Although it would be WHITE if I was w/ ATT
    I can create and edit native Word and Excel files.

OLD_HATCH, have you tried EZRocker?
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    When push comes to shove, if I have to take only one device with me (mp3 player, PDA, phone, laptop), the Treo is all the devices I need in one.

Harold
    That about sums it up for me, plus game console and a couple other things.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I like the keyboard, and the games (which can be helpful when you get stuck somewhere and am REALLY bored)
    I love my Centro because it is the size of a regular phone but runs all my PalmOS apps especially Chattermail.

I even have a spare Centro sitting in a box at home in case my current one breaks at they are no longer sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I love my Centro because it is the size of a regular phone but runs all my PalmOS apps especially Chattermail.

I even have a spare Centro sitting in a box at home in case my current one breaks at they are no longer sold.
    A user after my own heart.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast